Magical Eyes - Red is for Anguish (and blue is a happy, happy colour)

Darklord Rooke

In the middle of the night on a certain day of April 201X, the left arm of the owner of a general store is chopped off in the backyard of his own store. 

Even though he claims that the perpetrator is a 'doll' that was kept in the store, his words carry little weight due to the lack of other witnesses. 

The doll and the detached arm are gone from the scene of crime. 

“Just as a light too bright may burn out one's retinas, too much of any good thing can be toxic to humans. 
Even should it have the invisible form of one's emotions.” 

This is a mystery story about bizarre incidents unfolding around the town, 
intermingled with a complicated mixture of human intentions. 

ss_47572f9b9aab6e8f8c099a1734121a504dc5d

ss_f71106dc556693e50a12bdada48c46274117c

ss_43b67e8365e01acb82c0debdff9fbcb4bc376

Okay fellas, 2 days before release. What do we think of this title? I will say I like that more publishers are willing to dive into VNs, and this isn't the first title Fruitbat's localised. Pretty awesome stuff. I haven't had the time to look very deep into this release, so ... erm:

Pros - Art is gorgeous, there's an actual story

Cons - Writing's a little sloppy in provided samples, e.g. "standing in nearly the centre" should be -> "standing near the centre." And I'll stop there, I'm sick of going into various writing deficiencies. Most people won't notice, anyway.

What purty pictures though :) 

49 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Cons - Writing's a little sloppy in provided samples, e.g. "standing in nearly the centre" should be -> "standing near the centre." And I'll stop there, I'm sick of going into various writing deficiencies. Most people won't notice, anyway.

I notice.  The samples have long awkwardly written run-on sentences, which reduces readability.  If I want a game that's a chore to read, I'll go read something in Japanese where I have thousands upon thousands of games to choose from.

10 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I notice.  The samples have long awkwardly written run-on sentences, which reduces readability.  If I want a game that's a chore to read, I'll go read something in Japanese where I have thousands upon thousands of games to choose from.

That first screenshot, I couldn't help but wrinkle my nose and grimace. Just not pleasant to read at all :( 

ss_6fff90ff7e7a62f715525ce876acaea9fc79ass_dd68e2ae5e948ea51f99946155926c52618ca

Yeah, the script commits several writing faux pas; for example, stop using "start" and just leave the verb by itself. Filler words are fine in conversation but serve only to weaken your writing and fill it with pointless information.

But the game does look interesting and I'm already used to less than stellar writing in my Japanese VN translations (sadly), so I'll still give it a look.

The writing is about on par with your average fan translation. Maybe a bit better? Well, the fruitbat guys were all fan translators and not super spectacular ones at that. "Thankfully" I've grown used to this level of English. The VN actually does seem pretty interesting and this is the type of game that will fly under a lot of people's radar. There's not much fervor for doujin all-ages chuuni games. The biggest problem it will run into is that it's releasing on the same day as Tokyo Babel. Ouch.

38 minutes ago, Decay said:

The writing is about on par with your average fan translation. Maybe a bit better? Well, the fruitbat guys were all fan translators and not super spectacular ones at that. "Thankfully" I've grown used to this level of English. The VN actually does seem pretty interesting and this is the type of game that will fly under a lot of people's radar. There's not much fervor for doujin all-ages chuuni games. The biggest problem it will run into is that it's releasing on the same day as Tokyo Babel. Ouch.

You have a knack for picking up under-radar VNs to review, I take it you'll potentially review this :wafuu:

47 minutes ago, Decay said:

The biggest problem it will run into is that it's releasing on the same day as Tokyo Babel. Ouch.

Wow.  That is a massive mistake.  I wonder if that was a complete coincidence or they seriously thought that wouldn't be a terrible idea and did it anyway.  That decision would have made more sense if Tokyo Babel was an 18+-only chuuni title that wasn't on Steam, but that'd still be a bit risky.  Hope that doesn't hurt them too badly.

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

You have a knack for picking up under-radar VNs to review, I take it you'll potentially review this :wafuu:

Do I? I guess none of my reviews are forums favorites but I've been basically just reviewing what's new. I'm not planning on playing or reviewing this anytime soon at least. 

1 hour ago, Zenophilious said:

Wow.  That is a massive mistake.  I wonder if that was a complete coincidence or they seriously thought that wouldn't be a terrible idea and did it anyway.  That decision would have made more sense if Tokyo Babel was an 18+-only chuuni title that wasn't on Steam, but that'd still be a bit risky.  Hope that doesn't hurt them too badly.

It was supposed to release February 29th but they had to push it back a month for whatever reason. They set their new date before MangaGamer announced Tokyo Babel's release date. Since it's already late, I doubt they want to delay it any further.

My opinion? Well, I think the seiyuu cast was still new in anime (By the way, I need to use JP Wiki + Google Translate combo to figure out who's the seiyuu, and turned out some of them was either new or got supporting role in some anime. If some of you know about this game seiyuu portfolio, you may elaborate further), although the graphic was quite good for doujin I admit. As for the opening, I think it's quite interesting that instead of using slide show like in some VN opening, it was use animation instead (But it's not as good as School Days OP animation though. Understandable of course, since this is supposed to be doujin game iirc). If you curious, here's the opening below.

For the premise, looks like it'll be some sort of murder mystery mixed with supernatural thing. The problem is if some of you want to know how good it is, then my answer would be I don't know. Because until now the vote for this game at VNDB and the score was still 0, so once again this VN was still unknown of how good it is or even the spoiler itself and had few people who look forward to it, compared to other popular VN who at least had sizable people who look forward the release. Well, if some people want to review it here later good luck and looking forward to the review I'm suppose. But for my opinion the graphic and the long haired girl design was quite good.

And special thanks to @Rooke for opening 'Magical Angry' thread here, and could you change the title for thread with 'Magical Angry Discussion' after March 31st. The reason should be obvious anyway, but if you didn't want to do it that's okay. Sorry for my bad English here.

It's been awhile, but technically I don't see anything too wrong with the first sentence in the screenshot, aside from being a tad awkward, but there's certainly worse out there. Art seems nice, so it may actually make my backlog. Okay, it'll make my backlog because of Rooke's awesome Bob Ross reference...

1 hour ago, Asonn said:

where is the nice art? the CG are mediocre and the sprites/background art is just.... bad/mediocre.....  This is just another game, that I let other people test the water and drown horrible or soak in glory, if the latter is the case I might try it. 

92692.jpg

:salt:

I actually really like the sprite style used here, looks... I dunno... softer(?) than the style used a lot nowadays. I will admit that background is complete arse though.

9 hours ago, Decay said:

It was supposed to release February 29th but they had to push it back a month for whatever reason. They set their new date before MangaGamer announced Tokyo Babel's release date. Since it's already late, I doubt they want to delay it any further.

Wow.  That is extremely unfortunate.  Another delay might be in their best interest, but they're not JAST, so I doubt they'll delay it.  What a bummer.