Winter 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

6 hours ago, havoc said:

from comments in the forum section on myanimelist, it seems that it is just a partial adaptation where they really stretched the slice of life stuff.
But it seems like the series is finally gathering steam, still cant understand the decision of quon though it seems wierd and does not really fit the atmosphere.

Also, Dimension W is for me the most entertaining new series of the season. Not the best but definitly the most entertaining.

Indeedy. She supposedly "struggled" to make the decision, but it still doesn't make sense. Also, due to the fact that (either due to the animation studio or the production team) they aren't managing to truly create any tension with the war, it all feels like silly playing around; with the characters just doing random stuff and joking like always, when it's supposed to be a super serious mission and war, with thousands of lives in the line and so on. As much as I love the adaptation, they are sucking a little bit at doing these parts.

And yeah, don't think it's the best series since it's only 12 episodes (implying that there won't be that much fleshing out for the story and characters), but Dimension W sure is entertaining as hell.

Active raid dropped - what is this shit?

Prince of stride dropped - couldn't care less about the characters, even with Kana Hanazawa as a VA for the main heroine

Kouya wo mezasu - finally a good episode (8) though I suspect it will go back to being plain the rest of the series

53 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

GATE: Loliconia wins this week.

I was going to make a joke about that. I still intend to.

That whole scene had me laughing at the absurdity of it.  I couldn't help but feel that all the drama right there was entirely ethereal. It all seemed entirely forced and it made it silly instead, or at least that is how the acting made it seem.

24 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

I was going to make a joke about that. I still intend to.

That whole scene had me laughing at the absurdity of it.  I couldn't help but feel that all the drama right there was entirely ethereal. It all seemed entirely forced and it made it silly instead, or at least that is how the acting made it seem.

I pretty much agree. I think they would have achieved their objective if Sugawara hadn't rescued Sherry. That way, it would had indeed been quite dramatic with the "petty politics are stopping us from actually helping people who need it".

Watched Boku Dake 9 yesterday

Spoiler

I did a bit of looking around previous episodes and found that the Nishizono dude the manager is talking to in ep 5 has this weird pin that seems to be oddly highlighted.

fwGTA3g.png

And then in ep 6:

2S6bYW0.png

Also I had some vague suspicions about the teacher before the last episode, mostly very circumstantial things like his hair color, but the way he asked about where Kayo actually was the whole time seemed a bit suspicious, and soon after when they visited the hideout everything was moved elsewhere. And of course, the candy in the glove compartment, right after he gives his speech about getting girls to let their guard down (keeping in mind that in the first episode Satoru supposedly prevents a kidnapping by getting his mother to notice a guy giving a kid ice cream and going back to his van with him), is suspicious as all hell. Might just be a huge red herring, of course.

So I decided to pick up where I left off of Grimgar.

LOL

You can totally see the theme shift after episode 5 in episode 6.  The opening went full fanservice.  I don't know the ratings, but I can only assume Grimgar went down and they were desperately trying to keep it up.

Unfortunately, the issue I had with the show from before still stands, and I'm forced to rename the show Grimgar: of Hymns and Arias.  I had a few other joke names too, like Arias of the Opera, of Hymns and Psalms, and Stills and Songs.  Seriously, that last one is this show to a fucking tee.  How many times are they going to fill time with a few parallaxing stills with a tune over top of it.  It's at the point where at least 20 minutes of the show has been only that.

On 5/3/2016 at 7:14 AM, Flutterz said:

Watched Boku Dake 9 yesterday

Hidden Content

Pretty sure you're right. I've had my eye on him for a while too and he gets more suspicious with every episode. Besides, it's only logical that the murderer needs to be a character we know from somewhere in the story otherwise there's no dramatic tension and resolution if they end up being a character introduced that we've never heard of at the last moment.

Haruchika 9 – Watching for Chika character design at this point. She does look good in ponytail so will keep watching. 
Grimgar 9 – Don’t really care for this at this point but might as well finish it off. 
Phantom World 9 – That was fun at least. 
Konosuba 8 – Comedy is still on point weeks later. 
Aokana 9 – Meh. 
God Eater 10 – First time I gave a crap about what was going on screen. 
Schwarzesmarken 9 – This whole thing is pretty hilarious. I can’t help but find it funny. 

2 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Can we end the Farewell Shinsengumi arc soon, please? I'm getting more and more depressed every week, the amount of miserable pasts is overbearing.

Not even Zura saved the depression. :(

Alsp Gintama has been confirmed to be entering the final arc in the manga, which just adds insult to injury.

At the same time though, I hope this means the anime will adapt the whole thing, that would be epic in so many ways.

34 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Not even Zura saved the depression. :(

Alsp Gintama has been confirmed to be entering the final arc in the manga, which just adds insult to injury.

At the same time though, I hope this means the anime will adapt the whole thing, that would be epic in so many ways.

Indeedy. How many arcs is the manga ahead, more or less?

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

The anime is actually not that far behind the manga anymore. I think there's still 1 or 2 major arcs after the current one but that's it.

Well that breaks my heart. I would very much like around 100-200 more episodes of the silly slice of life / comedy Gintama, and then finish it off.

Haven't really been commenting much about seasonal anime recently.

I'm watching 4 animes this time, namely Boku dake, Genroku Rakugo, Dagashi Kashi and Phantom World.
The first three are all great and even Phantom world is pretty enjoyable just that it's average in most areas.

Genroku Rakugo is being watched by ..... none I guess, well seeing that it's a mature anime and one aimed at adults it definitely falls way out of the usual moe/fantasy stuff. It pretty unique and is primarily about how a person goes through life while balancing work/dream/love/friends. The execution is great, characters are great and the sounds are great too. Overall it's a great anime. If anyone wants to try it, watching the first episode is plenty to realize whether you'll enjoy the whole thing or not.

Dagashi Kashi is great, enjoying it much more than I initially expected. The newer episodes are much better than the starting ones. The starting eps had too much focus on candies imo it kinda felt like a info-dump at times. The latter eps are much better balanced. Between it's three themes of comedy/candies/SoL, unexpectedly what I'm enjoying the most is the SoL parts.
The episodes 6 and 7 centred around Saya-chan were especially wonderful.       

Boku Dake 10 Spoilers

Spoiler

I was already planning on saying how it can't be an accident that we're seeing so much of Yashiro all of a sudden, Satoru comparing the murderer looking for a substitute victim with him using candy as a substitute for smoking, how there's no way Satoru should have thought that Misato is outside when he clearly saw her walk into the bathroom, as well as mention the buckle that wasn't stuck just a few days ago, and hell, he basically said that Satoru's attempts at thwarting kidnappings were successful, which isn't something you could say unless you'd been thwarted, but there's not much point now that he's revealed himself. I still don't really get why he's doing it though, although it seems to just be for the hell of it.
Looks like next episode we'll get a revival in a revival, with Satoru calling his mom before going off with Yashiro to catch him in the act, and the last episode will probably be a wrap-up back in the present day.

I've also been thinking about the name of the series

Spoiler

Particularly with English subs it might seem like it's just the name of Kayo essay, but if like me you know just a little bit of Japanese you might realize that "boku" is generally used by males but you perhaps it's something a kid might use (dunno how accurate that is) but she does use "watashi" so the name is clearly referring to a male, either Satoru or Yashiro. Might have been obvious to everyone else but this hit me last episode as Kayo's essay was being read as she was driven away.

On 11/3/2016 at 0:34 AM, Flutterz said:

Boku Dake 10 Spoilers

Hidden Content

I've also been thinking about the name of the series

Hidden Content

Without spoiler tags I'll be suitably vague:

His last shouted comment about the future will probably sway the person to behave differently.

Boku may be used, albeit less commonly, by young girls (and less so by adolescent tomboys) though I don't recall Kayo using it.

4 hours ago, ittaku said:

Without spoiler tags I'll be suitably vague:

His last shouted comment about the future will probably sway the person to behave differently.

Boku may be used, albeit less commonly, by young girls (and less so by adolescent tomboys) though I don't recall Kayo using it.

You can just type in 

[spoiler]
Snape kills dumbledore
[/spoiler]

to use spoilers. :)

It's possible that might happen, but I don't really see it to be honest.

And yeah, I figured boku could be used that way, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't, and she definitely didn't in the title of her essay.