EVE Online

Velociraptor

EVE Online is a player-driven sandbox MMO set 20,000 years into the future.

The game can be aptly described as an engine of continual creation and destruction. Players build, and destroy, the various items, structures, objects and ships within the game. Wars are waged for resources, pirates roam the stars and massive production lines are established. Every day, billions worth of assets trade hands in the largest virtual economy that has ever existed. Bonds are forged, and broken, in the spacelanes. And at the end of the day, every action you take ultimately affects everyone else in the cluster, all over the world.

>>> Click Here for a 30-Day Free Trial <<<

>>> Click Here for a 30-Day Free Trial <<<

I've always liked the economy aspect of MMOs.  I'll bite.  Convince me why this is a game I should take a look at.  This game has been around forever.  If it's like Runescape 2.0 with massive griefing and if it punishes n00bs relentlessly, or if I feel like I'm playing an endless catch-up game, I'll pass.  Are there any relatively new servers where I'd be able to start on an even playing field with everyone else?

Edited by sanahtlig

I've always liked the economy aspect of MMOs.  I'll bite.  Convince me why this is a game I should take a look at.  This game has been around forever.  If it's like Runescape 2.0 with massive griefing and if it punishes n00bs relentlessly, or if I feel like I'm playing an endless catch-up game, I'll pass.  Are there any relatively new servers where I'd be able to start on an even playing field with everyone else?

There's only two servers. One for China, and one for the civilized world.

One of the most stable and balanced mmorpg's in the entire history of genre; that said, I lost my hope in those games long time ago and there's been hardly anything new since the advent of first sandbox mmorpg's. If anything, we're currently stuck in a neverending circle of stagnation and the more new mmorpg's come out every year and the more oversaturated market becomes with them, the less chance there is we'll see something as magnificent as L2 or WOW back in the old days.

Aside from that, I don't feel like commiting 3/4 of my life towards another game and even pay for it.

I gave it a try.  It's really confusing.  It took me an hour just to figure out how to reactivate the tutorial after I exited the game without starting it.  Most games introduce the basics a little at a time, but Eve just throws the entire interface at you all at once.

Edited by sanahtlig

I gave it a try.  It's really confusing.  It took me an hour just to figure out how to reactivate the tutorial after I exited the game without starting it.  Most games introduce the basics a little at a time, but Eve just throws the entire interface at you all at once.

An hour? Jesus, man. The UI isn't that complicated. It wasn't even that complicated five years ago.

An hour? Jesus, man. The UI isn't that complicated. It wasn't even that complicated five years ago.

I had to completely reset the game settings.  It IS complicated, and the guides are written for older versions of the game.  They're useless.  I saw talk that the game is notoriously inaccessible, and I believe it.  I'm played 5 or so MMOs and none of them were this disorienting.  The step-by-step advice I eventually used didn't even work.  I had to grope around to find a menu option that approximated it because the interface had been redone.

Edited by sanahtlig

Be prepared to sink some time into the game. One of the most common gripes with modern MMORPGs is that they're too easy, too casual, too twitter generation - All flash, everything 'now', little substance. EVE heads in the opposite direction of this trend, it is an MMORPG for people who value substance and depth over most anything else.

Advancing is not easy, it will take a lot of time. A LOT of time. There are consequences. The game will take time to learn because of its depth, and so on and so forth. Most MMOs these days are aimed at the casual gamer, but you won't get much more delightfully hardcore than EVE :P

I no longer have the time to play games like this. 

Making the tutorial inaccessible once closed (or even if the game is exited before activating it) isn't "depth".  It's just poor design.

tumblr_kq979vR0Hz1qzma4ho1_400.jpg

The opportunities system is always available through the sidebar. The career agent funnel can be accessed by pressing F12 (and the game tells you this).

You did not "have to" reset the game settings. You did so because you were too inept to do anything else.

The career agent funnel wasn't what I was looking for.  The opportunities sidebar had nothing in it.  You've obviously never found yourself in my situation.  Not surprising, since the vast majority of players go through the tutorial exactly once.

But well, good job creating a topic to promote a game and then berating those who actually give it a shot.  I'm sure you've won a lot of converts.

I gave up on this game.  I played a little, and I quickly got bored.  Looked a lot like work rather than fun.  Went and found myself a good singleplayer strategy game instead.

Everyone has their pace. I started playing EVE yesterday and it took me roughly 30 minutes to figure out how to get another ship after losing my first (it exploded before I even knew how docking worked, lol). Coming from another regular MMO player here, I do find the UI to be a bit more advanced than others I've tried. I could barely tell what I was doing at all, and had to rely on external resources to figure things out. Thankfully I did find a decent [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzTUBq2_6gs]video guide on youtube that did a better job explaining the basics than the actual game. And with less fluff talk than the usual guides you see on youtube, the guide still ran for an entire hour. To add even more to that, he had to skip certain aspects of the UI since they didn't fit within the scope of his guide. But now that I have a rough understanding of how to play it, I am very intrigued by the game's design, so there's a good chance I'll continue playing for a while longer.

I'm still just getting the hang of things; haven't really gotten into the beef of the game. I'll post a more detailed opinion later.

I'm the kind of guy that loves discovery and researching stuff. With EVE, I spend about as much time studying this game as I do actually playing it. I appreciate the change in pace from the usual 'go in and blow stuff up' that most other MMOs go for. With EVE, you're given a lot of freedom in what you do and the direction you want to go in. You start off building yourself up with your career of choice, and you invest time, effort, and finances into improving yourself at it. It's realistic in a sense that you benefit more from long-term planning than just simply winging it. There's also a pretty solid learning curve that not only serves to develop your career proficiency, but also comes with a great feeling of accomplishment whenever you complete difficult tasks. The steepness of that learning curve will mostly depend on your patience and attention to detail. If you can pick up on most things during your operations, and don't mind waiting a while for the big ships, you should be able to progress in the game smoothly. If not, think of this as a good opportunity for personal development. There are many aspects of life, and even gaming, that can be enhanced by these qualities.

I'm pretty much sold on EVE. It's the first time in a while I've felt this level of immersion in an MMO. My first self-imposed challenge is to buy a plex before my trial runs out. Kinda have to anyways since I'm broke this month, and it'll be good practice to play this game with limitations. So far, I've managed to complete the Sisters of EVE Epic Arc with an Algos (Dagan was so hard to beat with 109 dps), and I'm currently running lvl 1 missions in preparation for when I have the skills to efficiently use a Vexor. Not sure if I'll reach 1B before my trial ends, but I'll keep trying!

Edited by Kenshin_sama

I'm the kind of guy that loves discovery and researching stuff. With EVE, I spend about as much time studying this game as I do actually playing it. I appreciate the change in pace from the usual 'go in and blow stuff up' that most other MMOs go for. With EVE, you're given a lot of freedom in what you do and the direction you want to go in. You start off building yourself up with your career of choice, and you invest time, effort, and finances into improving yourself at it. It's realistic in a sense that you benefit more from long-term planning than just simply winging it. There's also a pretty solid learning curve that not only serves to develop your career proficiency, but also comes with a great feeling of accomplishment whenever you complete difficult tasks.

I've also liked that aspect of games, where player knowledge is very powerful. Though the game also has to be compelling, enough freedom and incentive to implement your ideas to justify spending the time learning the mechanics. Pretty sure Eve suceeds in spades there.

Eve really is a cool game, I'm happy it exists. But too much of a time investment atm. It would take a lot of effort to get a good enough understanding to see what exists out there and what's possible, and then even if I succeeded at that, I'd get really addicted ^_^.