How do you handle Routes in VNs

Kendjin

I HAVE to play all the other routes for me to consider the Visual Novel to be complete. Thus Rewrite, is the only VN I've actually completed because I still haven't gone through Shizune's route and Rin's route in Katawa Shoujo... I'll be going back for Shizune's eventually, but it will take a lot of convincing for me to even start Rin's route.

Yes you have to do Chihaya's route before you do Akane's route and you have to do Kotori's route before you do Shizuru's route.

Is it wrong I am doing Kotori's route first cause I want Shizuzu's route NAO!

Although Rin in KS can be hugely annoying, I’d still consider it a must read due to the quality of the story.Take that as you will

Despite it being said, I still think Rin suffered from higher functioning autism. It had a lot of traits, and since she was at the school because of the lack of arms, it doesn't go against the rule that people with mental handicaps weren't at the school, since higher functioning autism can still be ok in normal situations.

I HAVE to play all the other routes for me to consider the Visual Novel to be complete. Thus Rewrite, is the only VN I've actually completed because I still haven't gone through Shizune's route and Rin's route in Katawa Shoujo... I'll be going back for Shizune's eventually, but it will take a lot of convincing for me to even start Rin's route.

Yes you have to do Chihaya's route before you do Akane's route and you have to do Kotori's route before you do Shizuru's route.

I "did" all the girls (routes, obviously xD) in Katawa Shoujo and I have to say, Shizune the the lamest by far, both the character and the route itself. One of the only routes where Hisao has ABSOLUTELY NO BALLS (he mostly don't have them, but being non-existense is bringing to an entire new level). Rin's route was worthwhile in my opinion, one of the routes I cared the most in the game. Not because of Rin herself, I guess the plot is immersive.. I dunno xD.

Well, I agree that every route must be played in order to complete a VN, as in every non extra route. I won't say you haven't played Rewrite if you didn't do the Oppai ending.

Damn sad.gif (That is all I have to say)

don't listen to the evil people like zakamutt xD Story-wise it was awesome for me (so far only played kotori and shizuru, true that I liked kotori route a little more).

Its just the lack of romance there, but it doesn't make it bad or a letdown.

don't listen to the evil people like zakamutt xD Story-wise it was awesome for me (so far only played kotori and shizuru, true that I liked kotori route a little more).

Its just the lack of romance there, but it doesn't make it bad or a letdown.

If I'm being honest, I didn't really expect more than an Onii-chan route. Just as long as its not heartbreaking.

I save at the first choice so that I don't have to go through the intro, save at route split choices so that I can go to the next route faster and save at the start of main routes so that if I want to look at the route again I don't have to replay from the common route especially for VNs with very long common routes.

Is it wrong I am doing Kotori's route first cause I want Shizuzu's route NAO!
Well doing Kotori's route first is part of the recommended play order anyway.

Kotori > Chihaya > Shizuru > Lucia > Akane

I don't understand why Shizuru's route was such a let down to most people. I thought the ending was fine as is, though after reading Wahfuu's review on it, I can see where people were having issues with it. Though there are some flaws to the route as a whole, I still don't think it warrants warning people about being let down, but meh, opinions are opinions.

Although Rin in KS can be hugely annoying, I’d still consider it a must read due to the quality of the story.Take that as you will :P/>/>/>/>
I pretty much listened to my friend's advice before I started Katawa Shoujo:

"Pick the girl whose personality you liked the most. Don't go by any recommended order or anything of the sort."

I liked Hanako the most and by extension, Lilly was the natural follow up after finishing Hanako's route. Emi was the only girl left that I had an interest in (Her short stature helped in that regard) so she ended up being the last route I played. I didn't like Rin's personality AT ALL and didn't become indifferent to Shizune til after going through Lilly's route.

And now to actually be on-topic:

There were some extras in Rewrite's common route after completing the entire novel.

(which you'd probably see anyway if you were going for the Oppai Ending [i think it's best for you to figure out how to get the ending yourself but most people will probably look it up])

Since I didn't know if any other VNs have extras like this, I feel that it'd be better safe than sorry, which is why I'd avoid just reloading at a save point. I actually went through the common route one last time after finishing the True Route without skipping text and the extra bit was worth it in my opinion.

Since I went with my own decisions for my first run in KS, and was thus rather noncommittal, I got the Manly Picnic first tongue.gif

I recommend it!

In fact in my first run I have a tendency to end up with neutral endings. On the other hand, this also mentally allows me to use a walkthrough so thats cool :P

But yes, KS is more or a charage than a scenario game, so it makes sense to just pick the girl you want

How many people once finishing a route, tend to go back and do others?

I ALWAYS complete all of the routes and endings in every single VN I play. If I just don't have the motivation to do that, I consider the game dropped, even if I have played a good amount of it's routes/endings.

I ALWAYS complete all of the routes and endings in every single VN I play. If I just don't have the motivation to do that, I consider the game dropped, even if I have played a good amount of it's routes/endings.

Not finishing everything is a waste, at least for me.

I admit that most of the time I use a walkthrough. That way I feel I can focus more on enjoying the story and end up reading more VNs in less time, as well as being sure to get everything.

I have printed "spoiler free" walkthroughs for most of the VNs I own or have DLed. I usualy go out of my way to read bad ends as well. I try to do all of the routes, but I usualy end up being distracted by other games or VNs, though I see it as leaving more for later. I find that walkthroughs are a real boon for this, it really helps when picking up a game that I haven't played in a long time but don't want to start over.

The first time I played Katawa Shoujo I did completely blind thiough. I set myself a goal to finish the route for the girl I found most attractive, thus ending up going after Hanako and succeeding as well! (I have yet to read the Manly Picnic even though I hear it's quite worth it.) After that I read Shizune's route, but I think I used the guide for some choices on which I wasn't sure. I have yet to finish other routes, but I have started Lily's route a few weeks ago.