Random rant and recommendation from a console VN player

hellish

The VN cult is treated as an absolute minority by regular gamers, especially outside Japan, where localization of most VN remains just a vague fantasy, and the resulting grudge brewing in the depths of the feisty mind of VN fans threatens to scourge the land. But they are not forsaken, for God help those who help themselves. Fan translators step forward to bring salvation to the damned, and the radiance of hope once again shines upon the world. Yet where there is light, shadow lurks in its wake. While fans find comfort enjoying their favorite translated VN in front of PC, I, hellish the Dark, has awakened from slumber. Soon will there be conflict and chaos, and soon will I witness suffering and isolation, for I have ventured into the uncharted realm of console VN, alone.

Meh…I tried hard to create an epic feeling in the previous paragraph, but my writing skill failed me miserably. Well, you can’t really blame me since neither English nor Japanese is my first language. But since I happen to understand both languages and prefer to read VN on gaming console, I guess it’s my privilege to share my console VN experience with you guys, since most, if not all, of you are only able to read VN on PC. This thread is intended as informative, and is by no means about convincing you to switch to console VN.

By console VN, I mean either VN ported from PC to console, or console exclusive. Players of console VN are misfits among the already small VN fan base outside Japan. Admittedly, the rigorous criteria for touching console VN turn away most people. You need to own a gaming console (and a Japanese one if the console has region lock), you need to get your hands on those VN games, which are expensive and hard to find outside Japan, and you need to understand Japanese, because fan translation of console VN is out of the question. The first two criteria can somehow be bent, but the third one cannot be waivered, and there’s no text hooker to help you extract the texts and look them up easily in a dictionary.

So why do I PERSONALLY prefer console VN?

1.    Quality assurance

The fact that a PC version VN gets ported to console implies that the quality of that VN is at least acceptable to warrant the port. With so many VN releases every year, console port acts like a convenient filter for me to narrow down my search for good VN. In fact, nearly all critically acclaimed PC VNs that people in this forum love are ported to console, which is more than enough for me since I read VN at a slow pace and it takes me a long time (1~2 month) to finish a lengthy VN.

2.    All Age

This is about personal taste. Though all age version is frowned upon by many PC VN players, I myself find sexual contents and extreme scenes in VN distasteful, so all age version is welcome.

3.    Definite version

Console VN ported from PC is usually the complete version of that VN. During the port, exclusive contents are likely to be introduced, e.g. new endings added, new heroines created, sub heroines promoted to main heroines (no more “I want that girl to have a route” complaint), new OPs and event CGs included, game plot revised and expanded, and for old VN, new voice acting and upgraded graphics can be expected. Also, if the VN is released by chapter on PC, these chapters are merged together in console port. Sometimes fan discs are included alongside the main story as well.

4.    Ease of play

No need to worry about installation error, locale error, runtime error, just insert the disc/cartridge and start reading. You can take VN on handheld console with you wherever you go, while VN on TV console provide an exquisite experience. Imagine reading a HD (high definition) VN on a large TV screen: the fonts are big and crystal clear; the graphics are of high resolution, along with 5.1 surround sound! Maybe it’s kinda silly sitting put in front of TV reading text (strictly speaking, you may also choose to lie in your cozy bed), but the HD experience is definitely worth a try for PC only players.

5.    Console exclusive titles

Though the overall number is definitely not on the same order of magnitude as PC VN, there’re quite a few console exclusive VNs too, among which are buried some real gems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since many players here have limited knowledge or access to console VN, I’m gonna first talk about current generation console ports of some renowned VN titles I’ve read, or VNs that are frequently mentioned and recommended in this forum, and point out the console exclusive content not seen on PC, if any. Note that every console VN is all age, with sexual content and extreme scenes censored.

First some VNs by KEY:

Clannad

This is THE renai VN to read, period. Clannad has been ported to many console platforms since its PC debut. Full voice was added in initial PS2 port. Later it was ported to X360 and PS3 featuring 720p HD resolution and 5.1 surround sound. A paid DLC called “Hikari Mimamoru Sakamichi de” is also available for X360/PS3 version, comprising 16 independent spin-off stories, with each story focusing on one character from the main game. It’s an interesting read if you want to know more about a character’s past story.

Tomoyo After

This is a spin off featuring my favorite heroine in Clannad, tomoyo, as main heroine. If you’re still hesitating as whether to pick this up or not, please do not take this spin off lightly; it’s definitely unlike the conventional fan disc filled with no-brainer fan service. I repeat, DO NOT TAKE THIS SPIN OFF LIGHTLY. The PSP port features full voice (including the male protagonist) and important scenario revision and expansion that clarify the story. These new contents were later back ported to PC Memorial Version, while the X360/PS3 version are HD ports of PSP.

Little Busters

I had high hopes for this VN after finishing Clannad. LB is good, no doubt, but still not as good as I had anticipated. It gradually builds up hype through multiple lengthy routes, some of which are not so engrossing to me, and the final climax is simply too short for the sake of all the hype. Just my two cents.

This is another VN that has many console ports. Last time I checked, there was only English translation patch for the original Little Busters that has only 6 routes, what’s the status now? Anyway, I assume the most complete version on PC is PERFECT EDITION, featuring everything in the PSV port (full voice, 9 routes, revised scenario, a-chan character sprite) plus one new CG. The latest PS3 port, which was the version I read, includes everything in the PERFECT EDITION and offers HD resolution and 5.1 sound, plus the dungeon exploration in Saya’s route is rendered in 3D.

Kud Wafter

This is a spin off featuring my favorite heroine in Little Busters, kud, as main heroine. No particular extra content is added in PSP and PSV port.

Rewrite

Currently it’s ported to PSP and PSV, featuring full voiceover for all characters excluding protagonist, and new CG. I haven’t read this one but it’s definitely on my list.

Move on to VNs published by 5pb:

Steins;Gate

If you haven’t tried this VN, stop and go reading it now for serious awesomeness.

Originally a console VN, it was ported to PC with new CGs, then back ported to PSP and PS3. There’re two console exclusive spin off titles for Steins;Gate, Hiyoku Renri no Darling, and Senkei Kousoku no Phenogram, neither in my opinion is a must read.

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

There’s a PSP port and X360/PS3 HD port. In these console ports the main game remains intact, and a portion of the fan disc, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo, is included, which is a lengthy chapter about the past of the controversial character Houzuki in the main game. This extra chapter, in my opinion, is even better than the main scenario. It vividly portrays Houzuki in his youth, how he came to be what he was in the main game, and explains what his words at the end of the main game mean. I HIGHLY recommend anyone who has only read the main story to try this chapter in the fan disc.

Muv-luv

Another classic series, but one needs to first read the boring original Muv-luv (both Extra and Unlimited) in order to understand and appreciate the awesome story in the sequel, Alternative. Nothing new is added in the X360/PS3 port of Muv-luv and Alternative, but the gory scenes in Alternative are toned down.

Ever17

WARNING: MAJOR REMAKE DETECTED

The X360 port is a total remake of the original game. Character sprites are rendered in 3D (though not that pretty), voices are re-recorded, and LeMU layout is completely redesigned. But what I want to talk about is the plot. I only read Ever17 on X360, and after talking with players who only read the original version on PC, I come to the conclusion that only the skeleton of the plot remains the same, while many specific events are rewritten in X360 version, some ambiguous events in PC version are made clearer, and details regarding certain scenes are totally different, even the back stories of certain characters are changed, not to mention several revised or newly added endings.

Too bad only few read this remake, or I bet these two versions of plot will divide fans under contending banners, carrying on vigorous flaming war against each other, until all eternity.

Akatsuki No Goei

This VN is not really my cup of tea, and I dropped it since I failed to grasp what the main plot is after clearing two routes.

All three games in the series are merged into one in the PSP/PS3 port; background/event graphics are vastly upgraded and expanded.

Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai

Virtually no one talked about it here. Guess it’s because there’s no English translation.

The PS3/PSV port is based on the enhanced “R” version on PC, and sub heroine Misaki has been promoted to main heroine. A portion of the fan disc is included which tells the past stories of 3 heroines.

Cross Channel

Personally I do not like this VN since it touches some sensitive topics, and the personality of the protagonist really turned me away, so I dropped it.

X360 and PS3/PSV port each has unique extra content. There’s After Story in X360, which is pretty much self-explanatory, and we have Forgotten Story in PS3/PSV, which illustrates the story from the view of several heroines. I read the X360 version.

Finally some other VNs from various publishers:

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai

This title never came to my attention until I saw many people discussing it in this forum. So I’ll give it a try. The PS3 version only adds some mini games, immaterial to the main story.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

The PS3 port is incontrovertibly the best version, with 1080p full HD resolution, all graphics redrawn, remastered and new BGM, plus full voice!

Grisaia

I bet everyone in this forum knows this VN. Currently only the first one in the trilogy, Kajitsu, is ported to PSP/PSV, with the other two being ported soon. No new content is added to the port of Kajitsu.

Root Double

I love this VN for its gripping story, especially the first chapter (out of a total of 4 chapters). There was never a dull moment in the first chapter, with every moment wrapped up in suspense; you really never know what would happen next. It’s a pity that there’s no English translation, so few people discuss it here.

Originally a console VN on X360, this game is ported to PC intact. Later an enhanced version is released on PS3/PSV called Root Double Xtend Edition, featuring new endings and revised story flow.

Tears To Tiara

WARNING: MAJOR REMAKE DETECTED

4 years after its release on PC, Tears To Tiara received a total remake on PS3 under the title Tears To Tiara: Kakan no Daichi, with fully upgraded graphics and character design, vastly revised plot, and 3D battle scenes. You may regard the original and the remake version as two different games. Under the guise of SRPG, Tears To Tiara is in fact a good VN too, with lengthy cutscenes between each battle. The remake feels like a funny harem comedy at first, but gradually takes on a more serious tone, and demonstrates deep camaraderie from halfway till the end of the story. I found almost every character adorable, and liked one of the protagonists very much.

Two console exclusive Tiara games were also released on PS3, one is a spin off called Avalon no Nazo, a mediocre after story of the first one, featuring the same cast. The other one is the sequel called Tears To Tiara II: Haoh no Matsuei. The story of the sequel takes place in the same world and around the same time as the first one, but on a different continent with a different cast. The thrilling and passionate first three chapters showed great promise and really made me tingle with excitement, however the rest of the story felt somewhat lackluster, ruining its potential for another great VN.

To Heart 2

To Heart 2 is a classical renai VN that stands as a paragon for all the slice-of-life school romance VN to come. There’s really no gripping story or event, just innocent heroines and casual every day life that sooth your heart.

Originally released on PS2, this title received various revisions on PC, but the producer did not feel like letting go of this title quite yet, so the ultimate PS3 version To Heart 2 DX PLUS was born, featuring new heroines, motion portrait (animated character sprite executed well), revised scenario and new event CG. The fan disc is included as well.

White Album 2

This renai VN is highly praised in Japan. And after 95 hours of reading, I can personally testify that it's definitely on par with, if not better than, Clannad. You can find everything that could be yearned for in a romance VN, e.g. fascinating characters, beautiful music, gorgeous graphics, and most importantly, highly emotional plot.

The PS3/PSV port merges the separately released chapters on PC into one game. Drama CD and official novels once sold separately are now included as extra content that will unlock in accordance with player’s progress. New BGM, new event CGs, and important new scenes are added. Motion portrait feature (animated character sprite) seen in White Album 1 remake and To Heart 2 DX PLUS is applied in PS3 version as well.

In the last part, I’ll go through a handful of current generation console exclusive VNs worth mentioning to PC players.

428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de

I was shocked that there seemed to be no one in the forum discussing this VN. Then I realized that it is untranslated, but still, western community appears oblivious to 428. This is utterly preposterous! You’ll regret not reading this marvelous VN. It is so important that I have to say it out loud again:

YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU SHUN AWAY FROM THIS MARVELOUS VN.

Mark my words.

There’re many good VNs, but from time to time the plot develops at a rather slow pace and sometimes wears you down to the point that you have to turn away from it for a while, catch some breath, go out for a walk, and then resume reading. 428, by Chunsoft, is not. It features multiple protagonists whose paths are intertwined throughout the game. The story keeps at a steady pace and engrosses you from start to finish, planting all kinds of cliffhanger in each character’s path to make you always want to know more. The graphics are one of a kind. 428 adopts live action stills starring real actors as background and event CG, even cutscenes are live videos too. The main story boasts over 80 endings, all but one are bad endings. Though called “bad”, most of them are actually hilarious joke endings. After finishing the main plot, several hidden scripts are unlocked. These hidden scripts each have their unique style, and their quality is satisfying, to say the least.

428 is the VN to look for if you want a gripping, realistic plot. It received a 40/40 full score from Famitsu and I can testify myself that it deserves this score. It’s first released on Wii then ported to PS3 with HD graphics and sound, making it the best version to enjoy the story.

428 has a predecessor called Machi (PS1 PSP), and a successor called Time Travelers (PSP PSV 3DS). They share similar game mechanics, and transpire in the same world, but in different time. IMO, Machi is not that amazing if you have read 428, while the story of Time Travelers is simply too immature and ridiculous for me to take seriously.

Imabikisou

This is a horror VN by Chunsoft on Wii and PS3, featuring same graphics style as 428 (real actors and live stills/videos). If you love watching Japanese horror movie, then you can try this out. It takes several playthroughs to reach the true ending.

Robotics;Notes

This is the third installment in 5pb’s science adventure series, the predecessor being no other than Steins;Gate. After the initial release on X360/PS3, an enhanced version called Robotics;Notes Elite is released on PSV, featuring revised story flow, upgraded character models and new cutscene animation. Robtics;Notes doesn’t quite live up to the hype built up by its enormously successful predecessor, but is still worth a try if you love this science adventure series.

Dangan Ronpa

This anime style series (PSP PSV) is somewhat like Ace Attorney, featuring both investigation and trial parts, but with a much more unrealistic and darker plot. Its gaming mechanics in trial part is also significantly different from Ace Attorney. The PSV port of this series is officially localized into English, so you can pick up this series without problem.

Ghost Trick

A puzzle solving VN on NDS featuring wacky characters like those in Ace Attorney. The puzzle solving is fun, and the story turns out to be quite interesting at the end. It has official English localization.

Hotel Dusk

This western style NDS VN takes place in the 1970s, US. The unique pencil-drawn, dynamic-image art-style is candy to the eye, and I enjoyed the conversation between the charismatic protagonist and other vividly portrayed sub characters. Player needs to go around collecting items and use them to grill a sub character face to face at the end of each chapter, vaguely like Ace Attorney. You’ll enjoy the story if you love the characters in the game, like I do. A sequel called Last Window was released on NDS as well, featuring the same protagonist and game mechanism, but a totally different story. The official English localization for these two games was done so well that I didn’t realize the game is made by Japanese company until I saw the ending staff list.

Zero escape

A suspense VN with puzzle solving elements on NDS, written by the same author who wrote Ever17. Its sequel is released on PSV and 3DS. I bet many people in this forum already know this series. Both games have English localization.

That's an interesting comparison, and the part where you point out the different features on some games is definitely a useful resource.

Though in the end it boils down to personal preferences (ignoring the language barrier).

For example, point 2 is irrelevant to me and I don't see many situations where point 3 really would be massively important, although it's a thing. As for point 4 I already have a bonkers good screen and with the size it has, more resolution likely wouldn't matter anyway. Plus a laptop can be carried around, which is quite convenient.

As for point 1 it's not even a matter of tastes I think, you say only the quality titles get ports, but it's actually the popular titles that get ports. And quality doesn't necessarily correlates with popularity.

As for point 1 it's not even a matter of tastes I think, you say only the quality titles get ports, but it's actually the popular titles that get ports. And quality doesn't necessarily correlates with popularity.

I second this. 11 out of 26 "7/10 or above" on my VNDB list don't have console versions. And the rest are spread out between PS2, PS3, PSVita, PSP, Xbox etc... do you just buy them all as a console VN fan?

That's an interesting comparison, and the part where you point out the different features on some games is definitely a useful resource.

Though in the end it boils down to personal preferences (ignoring the language barrier).

For example, point 2 is irrelevant to me and I don't see many situations where point 3 really would be massively important, although it's a thing. As for point 4 I already have a bonkers good screen and with the size it has, more resolution likely wouldn't matter anyway. Plus a laptop can be carried around, which is quite convenient.

Hmm... I didn't expect people to closely examine those personal reasons.

But in fact I said VN with "acceptable quality" get ports, which means "not lower than mediocre", not what you call "quality titles". And may I argue that popularity is a reasonable measurement for quality? Apparantly they earned their popularity for a reason, right? Look at those VN titles I listed, most of them are popular here in the forum and frequently recommended to newcomers. I read them myself on console, most of them are indeed good. So isn't popularity a relatively reliable filter for me?

I second this. 11 out of 26 "7/10 or above" on my VNDB list don't have console versions. And the rest are spread out between PS2, PS3, PSVita, PSP, Xbox etc... do you just buy them all as a console VN fan?

Seems you're not familiar with console.

I bet if you look closely, many console VN are in fact ported to more than one console. E.g. most PS2 console VN are ported to PSP, and Xbox doesn't really have any exclusive console VN except Ever17 remake. So what I currently need is PS3 and PSP, and that's what I'm doing now. Plus, I play many other games on console, VN is just a part of my gaming lists. I do not buy console just for VN.

let's hope VNs remain unpopular, I like the small and nice community. We've seen what happened to anime and it's community, I pray the tragedy won't repeat.

I understand the sentiment (though I wouldn't call the VN community at large nice), but I think the benefits that popularity would bring is worth stomaching more jerks and elitist asshats.

Of those 15 the ones that are only released on one console (PS2).

http://vndb.org/v617

http://vndb.org/v710

http://vndb.org/v88

And most of the rest only on two consoles.

Pretty sure you can trust VNDB on the info regarding releases.

Also, I play almost nothing aside from visual novels.

I read this one, ef - a fairy tale of the two on PS2. It's good, and I like the characters. The two chapters are merged into one on PS2 and new CGs are added.

I skipped many PS2 titles, especially the renai type, or the post would have expanded a lot.

I was surprised to see Canvas on the list. I thought few heard about it. The series was really not that great, IMO.

I refuse to admit console superiority until this series is ported to the console

http://vndb.org/v10680 (one of the most popular/successful games in the last few years)

And I refuse to admit PC superiority unless 428 is ported to PC!

Meh, I'm not convincing people here to switch to console, nor do I claim console superiority. You believe you have more VN on PC, and I believe I have a better experience with each console VN ported from PC. We're all happy about the status quo.

The VN you mentioned by Navel is very popular in my place as well. From the looks of it, I'm optimistic about a console port, but it sometimes takes years for a console port to happen. E.g. it took another VN from Navel, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, which I mentioned in this post, 5 years to see a console port.

besides the fact that they are not even remotely accessible to me due to language barrier, region, and budget (all i have is a 360 and don't plan to ever buy a console again they are money sinks i don't need, pretty much every game i could ever want to play is available on pc either by official release or through emulator software). 

i do enjoy the ability to read h scenes in games. i may skip them most the time but the option to do so is what i like, and also the other non h adult content such as gore, violence, adult themes such as murder or terrorism, and other sensitive topics id prefer to remain intact, im an adult and can handle adult material. i don't need a company to choose my level of tolerance for me.

the ones available for psp and other portable consoles that are exclusive are not unavailable to fan translation. we recently had toradora portable translated and oreimo portable is being translated as well. the only ones that are not currently able to be done by a fan group are the ones that there is no emulator for the console. the consoles with out a pc emulator currently available are being worked on by groups of fan programmers trying to overcome the hardware and software problems they present. and as more powerful pc's become available and more affordable the problems emulating these consoles will be more easily overcome.

as for your point about the console being the definitive version this is not always the case and as a fan of darker more disturbing material most of the games i want to see become available to me will pretty likely never see a console release and if they do will be censored and cut to the point i wouldn't want to play them. how do you make a game like kuru kuru fantic or gore horror show acceptable for console release and all ages without gutting it ?

your fifth point is slightly more valid alot of pc releases are less stable this is true (im looking at you school days hq) but this is more then made up for with patches and updating your software. its rare for a vn that isnt a decade old to be so glitchy as to be unplayable from what iv seen now im hardly an expert or extremly experienced like clephas or kaguya. but out of the almost 40 vns i have currently completed the only time i was so frustrated at a visual novels failure to properly function was the previously mentiond school days.

(damn you school days and your awesome yandere and bad ends that just beg you to sit back and watch the protag suffer with a smile on your face...... god i want to play school days)

tl;dr... keep your console and ill stick with my pc thanx.

A dirty little secret about console ports: Many times, the "additional content" added for the console version is not the work of the original writers.

Some companies shepherd their games through the porting process, while others dump them off on console companies which just mess with stuff. This can result in some really weird additions or revisions - not always a good thing.

So be careful before claiming that the console port is definitive or complete.

besides the fact that they are not even remotely accessible to me due to language barrier, region, and budget (all i have is a 360 and don't plan to ever buy a console again they are money sinks i don't need, pretty much every game i could ever want to play is available on pc either by official release or through emulator software).

I don't like where this conversation is headed. The last thing I wanna see is a flaming war.

In fact preceding the 5 points is a declaration "Why do I prefer console VN", not "Why should you prefer console VN".

I dropped School Days on PS2. The PS2 version has the blood censored, but I still dropped it because I don't like yandere or extreme violence thing.

Of course you can keep enjoying your favorite dark style VN on PC, and only on PC can you find these dark style games. So everyone is happy, it's all about personal tastes.

Speaking of yandere, may I tantalize you with the console exclusive VN "Harem Tengoku da to Omottara Yandere Jigoku Datta"? I haven't really looked into this title, but I suppose it should be about yandere.

A dirty little secret about console ports: Many times, the "additional content" added for the console version is not the work of the original writers.

Some companies shepherd their games through the porting process, while others dump them off on console companies which just mess with stuff. This can result in some really weird additions or revisions - not always a good thing.

So be careful before claiming that the console port is definitive or complete.

That's why they're now explcitly advertising "revision by the original author!" these days for console ports.

I don't like where this conversation is headed. The last thing I wanna see is a flaming war.

In fact preceding the 5 points is a declaration "Why do I prefer console VN", not "Why should you prefer console VN".

I dropped School Days on PS2. The PS2 version has the blood censored, but I still dropped it because I don't like yandere or extreme violence thing.

Of course you can keep enjoying your favorite dark style VN on PC, and only on PC can you find these dark style games. So everyone is happy, it's all about personal tastes.

Speaking of yandere, may I tantalize you with the console exclusive VN "Harem Tengoku da to Omottara Yandere Jigoku Datta"? I haven't really looked into this title, but I suppose it should be about yandere.

That's why they're now explcitly advertising "revision by the original author!" these days for console ports.

sorry but while you may have meant the post in that way all the fire and brimstone and grandstanding made it come off more of a "here's why console vn's are Superior to pc releases" as for i thought it would be harem heaven but turned out to be yandere hell. its the vn i most want a English translation of at the moment as i said in the thread about that very subject. as for it being console exclusive not very important ps3 emulator is now done and in beta as they need to up the frame rate and work on some other small issues but wont be long before release.

sorry but while you may have meant the post in that way all the fire and brimstone and grandstanding made it come off more of a "here's why console vn's are Superior to pc releases" as for i thought it would be harem heaven but turned out to be yandere hell. its the vn i most want a English translation of at the moment as i said in the thread about that very subject. as for it being console exclusive not very important ps3 emulator is now done and in beta as they need to up the frame rate and work on some other small issues but wont be long before release.

I don't know where you heard the news about a basically fully functioning PS3 emulator, and I didn't mean to put a damper on things, but I'm pretty sure PS3 emulator is not feasible in the near future due to its most complicated hardware architecture. Programmers struggled for more than ten years for PS2 emulator and it's still got many compatibility issues. PS3 emulation could only be much more challenging. Even if there's eventually a PS3 emulator, I doubt current PC hardware specs are powerful enough for smooth emulation. But one can dream.

But in fact I said VN with "acceptable quality" get ports, which means "not lower than mediocre", not what you call "quality titles". And may I argue that popularity is a reasonable measurement for quality? Apparantly they earned their popularity for a reason, right? Look at those VN titles I listed, most of them are popular here in the forum and frequently recommended to newcomers. I read them myself on console, most of them are indeed good. So isn't popularity a relatively reliable filter for me?

I agree it should filter the trash. Surely there's some correlation between popularity and quality. But that doesn't mean an unpopular title is automatically bad: it also filters out as collateral damage some great games that don't necessarily appeal to the "masses" (if we can talk about masses when talking about VNs). All the out of the ordinary, the hidden gems, the doujin games. In my opinion it's a significant loss.

Oh, also:

Meh…I tried hard to create an epic feeling in the previous paragraph, but my writing skill failed me miserably.

That's because you lack the appropriate soundtrack.

Here, this makes anything and everything epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6YHQ8AZzU

ive heard it a few places from separate people and sources. there is one in the works i never said fully functioning i said done and in beta as they work out the low frame rate and a few other issues, also im fully aware it will require a pc with at least a quad core and other high end specs to function as of the time of this post. this does not take away from the fact that its not only feasible but in the works. 

I agree it should filter the trash. Surely there's some correlation between popularity and quality. But that doesn't mean an unpopular title is automatically bad: it also filters out as collateral damage some great games that don't necessarily appeal to the "masses" (if we can talk about masses when talking about VNs). All the out of the ordinary, the hidden gems, the doujin games. In my opinion it's a significant loss.

Oh, also:

That's because you lack the appropriate soundtrack.

If you're talking about hidden gems, then I suppose it's got nothing to do with console or PC VN. There are hidden gems in both, we just don't know which ones are appealing to ourselves. However, I think currently the popularity filter still stands for me, since I have a lot of popular VNs on my list. It's not like that I've finished reading all popular ones and start to moan about no more VNs to read. I doubt this day will ever come to me since I read at a rather slow pace.

Also, as a veteran VN reader, how silly of me to have overlooked the absolute power of soundtrack!?

I will make an objection to your rule 1.

VNs that get a port to console fulfill at least two of a number of conditions

1.  Has strong mainstream appeal

2.  Has gameplay in addition to storytelling.

3.  The company in question has the money to fund a port

4.  Is already all-ages

5.  There is a strong enough crossover fanbase that the company an expect an effective return on the port

Quality does have an effect... but getting a console port isn't a certification of quality.

Can console VNs be patched though?

What kind of patch are you talking about?

I will make an objection to your rule 1.

VNs that get a port to console fulfill at least two of a number of conditions

1.  Has strong mainstream appeal

3.  The company in question has the money to fund a port

4.  Is already all-ages

5.  There is a strong enough crossover fanbase that the company an expect an effective return on the port

Quality does have an effect... but getting a console port isn't a certification of quality.

I think the predominant condition is mainstream appeal, which loosely guarantees that the quality is at least acceptable (>=mediocre).

I don't know if you've read my console VN list directly below my 5 points reasoning. If you did, you should have seen that most of them DO NOT have gameplay, like Clannad, Ever17, Umineko, Grisaia. In fact most Japanese console VN ports do not have gameplay.

4. Is already all-ages

Again see my list, in fact most console ports are from 18x VN on PC, because there're not many all age VN on PC.

On a side note, I'm now reading Himawari no Kyoukai to Nagai Natsuyasumi (http://vndb.org/v10557) on PS3, which is a 18x VN on PC as well. Too bad no one in this forum mentioned it except you. I only have one last route left (hina route). Yomi route is pretty good, in my opinion. BTW, they added a route for Tsukiko in console version.