Zalor

Kanon is not only a great visual novel, but also among the most influential. It was Kanon that really introduced, (and more or less perfected in my opinion) the crying girl genre in Visual Novels. It was also Kanon that first made KEY a  successful company, which therefore allowed KEY to create other great VNs like Air, Clannad, Little Buster, etc. Therefore, I think Kanon deserves a holiday of its own. The reason January 7th is the chosen date is because the story of Kanon starts on January 7th. Although the prologue may take place during Jan 6th, the game doesn't really begin until Jan 7th. 

I personally will be celebrating what's left of this day by playing through some Kanon. I also tried to start a personal tradition last year to play through one day of Kanon for every day in the game. So basically start playing Kanon on Jan 7th, and finish playing a route on February first (the last day in the game). This was unsuccessful last year due to my schedule having been packed with work, but I'm hoping it will be successful this year. In any case, Happy Kanon Day!

kanonboxart.jpg

So sad I missed this!  Maybe we should go through our favorite games and put their starting dates on the Fuwanovel calendar?  That way we can celebrate all our favorite games.

That's actually a really nice idea! Maybe also add prominent characters' birthdays to the same calendar so we can celebrate those as well?

So sad I missed this!  Maybe we should go through our favorite games and put their starting dates on the Fuwanovel calendar?  That way we can celebrate all our favorite games.

That's a great idea! That was also sort of an intention of mine by starting this topic. Well it was an intention to get Jan 7th to be Kanon's day on fuwanovel's calendar, but including the starting dates of other great VN's is a nice extension of the idea.

Does a non-mod want to check and see if they have permissions to add events to the calendar (green "add event" button in the top-right area)?  If not, I'll be happy to add the events if people can help me get the dates.

This doesn't need to be a big project or anything, but if people want to add these sorts of things to the calendar, I say "let's do it!"

Example:

Fate/Stay Night

Saber - Birthday unknown

Rin - February 4

Sakura - March 2nd

First day of the game: ?? (need to look up)

Does a non-mod want to check and see if they have permissions to add events to the calendar (green "add event" button in the top-right area)?  If not, I'll be happy to add the events if people can help me get the dates.

This doesn't need to be a big project or anything, but if people want to add these sorts of things to the calendar, I say "let's do it!"

Example:

Fate/Stay Night

Saber - Birthday unknown

Rin - February 4

Sakura - March 2nd

First day of the game: ?? (need to look up)

Could you leave this to me? I'll add the release date of every single tld game on fuwan. 1~2 minutes of search and I found 10, so this won't take longer than it did to make my 50 VNs list. I'll stay clear of character birthdays, though. That would take too much.

Also, happy kanon day again!

• 11 months later...

Alright time to update one of Fuwa's first holidays! How appropriate is it that Fuwanovel's first holiday celebrates KEY's first visual novel? As my original post stated, the initial tradition is to play one in-game day of Kanon for each corresponding real life day. And the first day of Kanon starts on January 7th. So choose a girl's route, and only play her route until you finish (on February 1st).

That said, if anyone wanted to live stream Kanon in celebration that would be wonderful. I personally don't have the knowledge and programs to host a live stream, but if somebody else was willing to, I would try my best to participate. Keep in mind though, I have to be in school from 9 am - 3:20 pm , so there is a possibility my scheduled won't allow me to be present if our times conflict. (Final year of high school, can't wait for a college schedule).

Enjoy the full opening of the game/anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5PkLbsayd0

Kanon, my first VN! :)

So nostalgic...

Even though I have to admit that there was one route I never managed to play (Shiori's route) for some reason.

Oddly enough that was actually my first route. If you follow through with the challenge/tradition, by the beginning of February you will have finally finished her route. (In my opinion it's not the strongest route, so it's a good one to leave for last. However, it's the only route where I felt the sex scene was actually appropriate.) 

Played through all the routes in the VN and saw the (pretty mediocre) 2002 anime series with the OVA.

Now I'm watching the 2006 show for the first time and with my younger brother. We're only two episodes in, and I'm trying to convince him that Kanon is far more than a generic harem show. :P

This is one of those shows that takes a few episodes to pick up.

Played through all the routes in the VN and saw the (pretty mediocre) 2002 anime series with the OVA.

Now I'm watching the 2006 show for the first time and with my younger brother. We're only two episodes in, and I'm trying to convince him that Kanon is far more than a generic harem show. :P

This is one of those shows that takes a few episodes to pick up. We watched Steins;Gate two years ago, and it took until the midway point for the series to pick up the pace. I told him that Kanon gets to the good stuff even quicker. So hopefully we can get through it.

Ehh... as much as I love Kanon I wouldn't say it's far more than a generic harem. :P

On another note, I own the 2006 series on DVD, but I really think it could use a Blu-ray release. The BDs for other Kyoto Animation shows like Clannad and Haruhi Suzumiya look fantastic. It would really allow the animation to shine through if it was in 1080p. Guess it's just not popular enough to warrant an HD release. 

Odd, the 2006 series I have downloaded claims it's a 1080p BDrip.

In fact I just found what looks like the Blu-ray release: http://hp.ponycanyon.co.jp/pchp/cgi-bin/PCHPM.pl?TRGID=PCHP_SKH_1010&CMD=DSP&DSP_SKHBNG=200900002125&DSP_SKHKETSEQ=001

Admittedly it comes at a hefty price of $600. :vinty:

Edit: I guess you mean the translated Blu-ray release