VN Reading Club - May 2015 (Coμ -Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku-)

Kosakyun

Maybe it's just a result of my being older, but the H-scenes with the younger/immature members of the cast just make me uncomfortable. The scenes with Haru, in this case, I did not mind. It's certainly just a matter of personal preference, but given that VNs tend to feature rather young people (relative to my age), it's just easier to avoid the H altogether.

Maybe it's just a result of my being older, but the H-scenes with the younger/immature members of the cast just make me uncomfortable. The scenes with Haru, in this case, I did not mind. It's certainly just a matter of personal preference, but given that VNs tend to feature rather young people (relative to my age), it's just easier to avoid the H altogether.

You make me curious.

About that, I can't say I fully understand, given that I'm closer to the characters' ages in most VNs than you. I guess it just goes to show how the characters can affect each one of us differently. That's also nice.

I turned 30 a couple weeks ago. Sigh. So, the apparent age of most VN characters is well outside my "strike zone" (a term I hadn't actually heard used that way until I read Comyu, amusingly enough...)

On the meta note, it's actually kind of surprising, given how small the audience for VNs is and the reputation associated with them, but it seems like they're really a pretty rich medium, given that there's a fairly broad range of backgrounds, ages, etc., here who all enjoy them. We probably are each getting a fairly different experience.

One other thing I wanted to mention about Comyu: the translation seemed really well-done to me. In general, does Amaterasu Translations do really, really good work? They also did Rewrite, that I've read, and both were undoubtedly the best-executed translations I have read (both in terms of technical execution and raw translation). That includes putting them above any professionally-translated VNs I've read (including at least one by each of Sekai Project, Jast, and MangaGamer). That, plus the quality of the two games I've read which they had translated, makes me really want to just take whatever they translate and read that (Cross Channel, in particular, is waiting in the wings, so that's very tempting...)

I turned 30 a couple weeks ago. Sigh. So, the apparent age of most VN characters is well outside my "strike zone" (a term I hadn't actually heard used that way until I read Comyu, amusingly enough...)

On the meta note, it's actually kind of surprising, given how small the audience for VNs is and the reputation associated with them, but it seems like they're really a pretty rich medium, given that there's a fairly broad range of backgrounds, ages, etc., here who all enjoy them. We probably are each getting a fairly different experience.

One other thing I wanted to mention about Comyu: the translation seemed really well-done to me. In general, does Amaterasu Translations do really, really good work? They also did Rewrite, that I've read, and both were undoubtedly the best-executed translations I have read (both in terms of technical execution and raw translation). That includes putting them above any professionally-translated VNs I've read (including at least one by each of Sekai Project, Jast, and MangaGamer). That, plus the quality of the two games I've read which they had translated, makes me really want to just take whatever they translate and read that (Cross Channel, in particular, is waiting in the wings, so that's very tempting...)

They do nice translations, yeah. But that doesn't mean that each of their releases are top-notch, I guess. An example would be Cross Channel, from what I've heard. You can ask some of the members here about that. I haven't read it, nor would I know how it compares to the original one. Something about being too literal or some stuff. I guess sometimes, the translating style of a person just doesn't fit the visual novel they're translating. At least, that's the conclusion I've reached. Not saying that you shouldn't read Cross Channel though. I'll probably end up not hating on it anyway. :mare:

You have Ixrec to thank, he's the main translator for Amaterasu and he is pretty much on par with koestl (the guy who is translating the Grisaia trilogy among other things) in terms of quality.

Cross Channel's translation problem was mostly the author's peculiar prose style, Ixrec ended up rewroting most of the script and it doesn't portray what the original text aimed to portray as well.

Cross Channel was also one of Amaterasu's first projects so they have evolved a lot since then and Comyu and Rewrite were their most recent projects so the quality went up a lot.

Good info, thanks.

For what it's worth, I'm not only praising the translation: the quality of the proof-reading, for instance, is also noticeably higher than the few professionally-translated VNs I've read, as well as other fan patches. There are also no technical problems (which professionally-translated VNs do sometimes have), and text flows naturally (I'm reminded of the Little Busters! fan patch which never did text wrapping... kind of unfortunate; or some translations where you see blank text boxes from time to time; that sort of thing). The translation is the most obvious good part, because those various other angles don't slap you in the face quite as hard when they're done poorly (as long as they work at all).

Good info, thanks.

For what it's worth, I'm not only praising the translation: the quality of the proof-reading, for instance, is also noticeably higher than the few professionally-translated VNs I've read, as well as other fan patches. There are also no technical problems (which professionally-translated VNs do sometimes have), and text flows naturally (I'm reminded of the Little Busters! fan patch which never did text wrapping... kind of unfortunate; or some translations where you see blank text boxes from time to time; that sort of thing). The translation is the most obvious good part, because those various other angles don't slap you in the face quite as hard when they're done poorly (as long as they work at all).

Interesting, does that affect your experience or ability to read a novel?

I think that the high quality of translation, etc makes it much nicer to read.

Dunno about anyone else, but lack of text wrapping massively irritates me.  If it's good enough, I'll just force myself through it, but if it's average or meh quality, I might just drop it for that reason.

Anyone else get irritated by the sheer number of times Akihito brought up "the color red"?

Dunno about anyone else, but lack of text wrapping massively irritates me.  If it's good enough, I'll just force myself through it, but if it's average or meh quality, I might just drop it for that reason.

Anyone else get irritated by the sheer number of times Akihito brought up "the color red"?

Akihito bringing up the colour red was one of the most annoying parts of Comyu in my opinion.

Not as far as to say irritated but just simply annoyed.

If anything, the line "but so what?" irritated the heck out of me.

That was another part I didn't like from Comyu. The writing was just really repetitive in some places. 

Akihito bringing up the colour red was one of the most annoying parts of Comyu in my opinion.

That was another part I didn't like from Comyu. The writing was just really repetitive in some places. 

My most annoying part was when.

When Akihito violated 2 childs, an elder woman, killed a woman, was unfaithful to his true love...etc

Oh, basically, i was annoyed by Akihito.

My most annoying part was when.

When Akihito violated 2 childs, an elder woman, killed a woman, was unfaithful to his true love...etc

Oh, basically, i was annoyed by Akihito.

Im pretty sure Comyu was tagged with flawed protagonist on VNDB.

So that's kinda to be expected. 

More annoying than "I remember red..." was that it was inevitably paired with the same BGM on every utterance. Repetitiveness level: maximum!

But, even so, my gripes with this VN are few and minor. It's a little bit darker and more action-oriented than I typically like, but it was still all-around very good.