Will you buy Shiny Days from Jast?

50 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying Shiny Days from Jast?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'll wait for the "fan patch"

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm hoping the Shiny Days decensor patch will also be released simultaneously with the game.  I went ahead and preordered the LE since I trust JAST to make good on their word, but I won't actually play it til the patch is released.

Ironically, JAST isn't the only English publisher to advertise on sites that illegally distribute their games.  It makes you wonder why Fuwanovel, a site that never distributed official English releases to begin with, was never able to develop an affiliate relationship with any of the English publishers...

Getting a J-List affiliate link isn't particularly hard and we had one advertising Hanachirasu here for a day before Tay removed it. I still think that's a reasonably tasteful and unobtrusive way to get some ad revenue, not sure why Tay didn't like it.

• 3 weeks later...
Peter Payne has confirmed that JAST still plans to release Shiny Days before Anime Expo (July 1). However, he cautioned that just because the game would be ready for the convention doesn’t mean it’d be ready to ship, as they wouldn’t have the manpower to make it to all the conventions and actually ship everything out.

“We are aiming to get both Raidy III and Shiny out by AX. As usual, we can never be sure. Among other things, printing proper boxes causes all kinds of delays with printers, who suddenly need 7+ weeks just to print the boxes/artbooks/whatever.”

“… mainly the two biggest conventions of our year come within 2 days of each other this year. We know that, even if we get both games in stock for the cons, we won’t have staff to ship them all out to people at the same time. So the shipping date will really be “when the cons are done” (figure late July for everything to go out).”

So for those of you who are completely oblivious the "fan" patch that gets released shortly after is completely not related to JAST at all. Seriously the way they explained this and future releases is rather brilliant and helps get them and any of their workers out of trouble. The reason for this in the first place is because of the recent little incident that occurred in Canada and the Canadian translators said they wouldn't release anything they had been doing unless the game was cut...the upcoming fan patch for the game is uncensored...yes it is fully uncensored. We should really thank the people releasing this fan patch when they have no reason to actually do so.

Seriously I've decided I will buy Shiny Days...it will probably be forever before I even get around to trying it out mind you but I'm gonna support this new way of releasing these types of games. Peter has already gone on record to say that if this doesn't work and people bitch about it too much then they simply won't ever release games with this type of content again...they'll go the safe route. I for one think that would be a right shame. Anyone who bought Starless can probably tell you how the patch worked for them...and probably tell you their surprise when they discovered it was uncensored.

that which can be seen cannot be unseen

JAST USA is behind the uncensored restoration patches you idiots they have to go about doing everything via this method to prevent any potential legal issues. 

• 1 month later...

I updated my Shiny Days article and reposted it on my new personal blog.  Updates include legal specifics from a JAST representative as well as information on the Starless content restoration patch.

Why I endorse JAST's censorship of Shiny Days

One of the advantages of hosting articles on my own blog is that I can do updates like this without having to jump through hoops with editors at other establishments.

Shiny Days is slated for release on August 25th, which is fast approaching.  Hard copies are limited due to a reduced print run this time around, so make sure you reserve a copy if you want one.  Expect the download to be ~15GB in size, so having a hard copy around might not be a bad idea.

• 1 month later...

J-List is currently offering a $10 coupon that can be applied to orders of Shiny Days.  After the discount, my Shiny Days LE will cost $42, which is less than what Rightstuf is charging for the game (with shipping).  That's only $2 more than the download edition being sold on JAST, and the LE comes with a stash of goodies AND the download edition.

Order Shiny Days on J-List with discount code NEWMEGUMI for the $10 discount.

I updated my Shiny Days article and reposted it on my new personal blog.  Updates include legal specifics from a JAST representative as well as information on the Starless content restoration patch.

Why I endorse JAST's censorship of Shiny Days

One of the advantages of hosting articles on my own blog is that I can do updates like this without having to jump through hoops with editors at other establishments.

Shiny Days is slated for release on August 25th, which is fast approaching.  Hard copies are limited due to a reduced print run this time around, so make sure you reserve a copy if you want one.  Expect the download to be ~15GB in size, so having a hard copy around might not be a bad idea.

I'm not going to be buying Shiny Days, but that's only because I personally didn't like School Days. I agree with everything you've written in your post, and as a VN, anime and manga lover living in Canada, I always worry about what I purchase and download. Every time I'm playing a VN with a loli character that has an 18+ scene, the thought is at least there in the back of my mind that the police could knock at my door and seize my computer, and I could end up being put on a sex offender list, which would ruin my life. I'm not even into loli myself, but these censorship laws still affect me negatively. That's why I approve of the way JAST is handling things here, and if I had actually been interested in Shiny Days at all, this would have basically made it a sure purchase for me.

I seriously hope people think long and hard before laying on the hate to JAST for this.

I see the Shiny Days thread on the JAST forums has gone into virtual melt down for no reason again. People really like to bitch about nothing these days. What is it about this time? Mosaics? Jesus.

Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.  Everyone's restless from the delay, so instead of playing the game they were waiting for, they bicker on the forums instead.  Add in people who are just now finding out about the censorship, and there's plenty of salt to go around.

The game's been delayed once more due to Overflow failing to provide a few fixed video files in time for release.  JAST estimates the download version will be ready in 1-2 weeks.

Delays are only natural in these sorts of businesses - Trails in the Sky SC translation was promised over a year ago, for example. And the censorship is a non-issue, there'll be a patch. Eh, I don't understand these things.

Remember what it was like in the good old days? Where we had real problems with our games to bitch about, rather than the crap bothering the modern generation. Where instead of delays, customers would instead have to worry about developers selling them boxes with toxic goo inside, and the developers would laugh when the customers would stagger up to complain before promptly melting into a puddle on their driveway. Remember those days?

And the faults in games were like an extra, omniscient enemy, forever present, ready to stuff you at any time. And there was no magical DLC, patching, hobgoblin process to fix it, you just had to live with it and come up with inventive ways around it. I remember a bug that kept appearing right before the final boss, where your Commodore 64 would crash the game, then eject the floppy right into your nuts. Then type ‘LOL’ on the screen. Then whack you in the nuts again… with the monitor. And your friends would sympathise and have these ‘cool techniques’ to fix it, like how you just had to hold the disk in with your hand. This inevitably failed when the disk blew your hand right off, and your computer grabbed that wayward hand of yours and smacked you around the head with the soggy end.

And overcoming them properly was a bitch. Like you had to hike 5 miles, barefoot, in the snow, naked, to see the mystic hut of this Horahora woman. A woman with really terrible breath who kept breathing on you and pinching your cheeks, but she could cure your game’s ails with a magic potion. Except that magic potion gave the computer hives, and melted the disk drive, and then you had to explain to your Dad, when he came home, why you’re naked, missing a hand, and also why his computer has no disk drive. That was a bitch!

Tsk Mosaics, honestly *rolls eyes*

You just don't get it Rooke.  Some of us have been waiting 3 miserable years for another chance to bed our waifus.  How would you feel if you were separated from your wife for 3 years--then when you went to the airport to finally reunite, she not only wasn't there, but you were told that her genitals had possibly been mutilated beyond recognition?  AND you wouldn't be allowed to have sex with her because she's a minor?

Yes the wonderful days when bugs where a part of a game. Oh how you exploited some of them or smashed your head into a wall if they were annoying. 

But this delay is a bit annoying. I was expecting the downloadable version at least but J-List was practically non existent with their information. I don't find it acceptable if they announce the delay on the very same day as the expected release-day. No matter what company I don't accept a late "sorry we didn't make it". Other companies I am following somewhat close do announce these kinds of delays much earlier which I don't have a problem with. 

That last post made me laugh a bit too much sanah. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So JAST is putting the final touches on the installer for the game (Tumblr).  The game should be ready for download within a few days.  It's confirmed to be a whopping 15GB download, and the LE box edition will come on 2 DVDs (download key available on release also included).

I'll also be posting an updated version of my Shiny Days censorship article once it's verified that a restoration patch is available that restores the cut content with no mosaics.

Romance appears to be a focus of Shiny Days, as just about every female character featured in the original School Days has an ending (or multiple endings).  There are reportedly more H-scenes in Shiny Days than there were in School Days.  It is however not a nukige, and most of the H-scenes in School Days were relatively short.  Many of the routes only had 1-2 H-scenes.

If you're interested in Shiny Days, I would recommend playing School Days first.  While Shiny Days is standalone, it's not meant to be one's first exposure to the series.  There's plenty of reviews of School Days available on the web, so you'll be able to easily figure out if it's a game you'd be interested in.  A word of warning: it's a highly polarizing game.  Some people love it; others hate it.