Off to buy a PS4

mbl

Has to be a pretty damn worthwhile game for 400+ bucks (subjective to location).

What game? I still haven't seen anything making the PS4 worthwhile - Persona5 is tempting, but unless there's a huge difference between the ps3 and ps4 version, I'll just stick with ps3.

Yeah. Been debating whether I was gonna drop all the money to play it or just watch a streamer for weeks now, but have ultimately decided that I am going to drop $400 to play one game, and hating myself for it. Depending on how the experience of Bloodborne is, I might try and return the console before a weeks up to get full money back.

Just about the only thing that could make me even contemplate doing this (nowhere near actual execution, parental support is out of the question and nowhere near hell am I managing to save up $800 for a console I am not even interested in currently) is something that would hype me on the level of ZE3 and honestly even though a few (3-4) games do come out every year that come close, no game has me hyped up that much yet. (TLOU might have been to a degree, but when you pick up tidbits of the ending from here and there the story loses a lot of meaning, still never played it in full, maybe I'll someday using PS Now on my Vita)

I hope you do enjoy your console and your game. 

Maybe you'll enjoy the system more down the line.

You sure? There are quite a few interesting titles coming up. Disgaea 5 and Persona 5 for example. 

Great games I'll eventually play, but not games I buy a console for.

I'd only return it if Bloodborne ends up making me regret the purchase. In the case that I do return it, I'd probably buy one years down the road when there are enough exclusives (and they are fairly priced) to warrant it.

Just about the only thing that could make me even contemplate doing this (nowhere near actual execution, parental support is out of the question and nowhere near hell am I managing to save up $800 for a console I am not even interested in currently) is something that would hype me on the level of ZE3 

This is a game from one of the two developers that would hype me on that level. I've got the cash to safely do it, but am not usually so wasteful with my money. This is the sort of game that would only be a memorable experience playing yourself, and I know I wouldn't enjoy watching some silly streamer run it. Fucking Japan refusing to accept PC gaming.

I am tempted to buy one, there are some really good PS4 exclusives games that are worth it(I'm mainly thinking kill zone and the order 1866), but I play on the Pc and have a 360 for halo ,so all is good for me,unless PS4 comes up with something that really attracts me, not going to buy one.

Though I have sworn off video games (aside from VNs), I may break that rule just so I can get a PS4 to play Persona 5 and Silent Hills (if it turns out to be good). I mean, quitting video games is one thing, but Persona 5 and a new, good Silent Hill are something else. They don't count.

Silent Hills (if it turns out to be go

Kojima and Konami are parting ways, and since Kojima/Del Torro were behind PT, which drew all the hype for Silent Hills, it probably won't be too great, unless they contract Kojima for Silent Hills like they are for MGS Phantom Pain, which they haven't said anything about.

If I did end up getting a PS4 I'd definitely have to pick up Dragon Quest Heroes. It's not exactly an exclusive (it's on PS3 as well) but the PS3 version is kind of crippled in a few areas, from what I've heard. And man if DQH isn't the best iteration of the Dynasty Warriors franchise I've ever seen. They really do go all out for Dragon Quest over here.

Just got back from buying it. I remember gamestop being pretty ridiculous back in the day, but the used/refurbished versions of the PS4 being 20 dollars less than the new which comes with a game is just bullshit. Haven't shopped there in years and don't intend to again, I'll buy consoles from walmart or some shit if this comes up again. 

I ended up getting the new version, so scratch the possibility of returning it :P Came with Last of Us Revamp, and bought Ground Zeros and Metro Redux, games I could have just played on PC but at least I'll have some reason to use the console when I'm not playing Bloodborne. 

lel bloodborne, it's literally all I've done the past few days apart for work. The overall story might be better than Dark Souls(It's fucking lovecraftian!), but lore behind the major characters/bosses is kinda dull compared to DS. Gameplay wise... It is pretty much lesser to Dark Souls in every way I would say. 

It seems like they were going to implement things that would make the game more difficult and a new experience, but then threw it all out and left us with features that only make the game easier. Healing items aren't refreshed at bonfires and instead have to be bought in your "home" area, and you can stockpile up to 119 of them. This leads to players who are doing well having infinite healing the entire game, and players who are stuck on a boss having to go farm up souls and buy heals before they can even challenge the boss again. Because of how many heals you have, the "regain health by attacking after you've been attacked" is completely meaningless, and turtling is even more effective than it was in Dark Souls.

Also there is barely any variety in equipment. I get that transforming weapons requires more work than normal ones, but that doesn't justify the tiny list of weapons you have to choose from in comparison to Dark Souls. PVP is gonna be dull. There is some variety in armor that you can choose from, but still nowhere near as much as Dark Souls.

The only comment I'd like to add is that, while you CAN stock up on 119 healing items, you can still only carry 20 in your inventory at any given time, and you can only refill the ones in your inventory by either going back to base and restocking from your stock or by picking them up off enemies. That said, enemies drop ridiculous amounts of healing items, with single enemies sometimes spilling out 4 at a time. Add that to the 'if you counter you heal most of your damage' mechanic and... yeah, not exactly on the same level of mind-numbing hardness as the DS series. I do like the aesthetics though, gothic horror gets me much more than dark fantasy did.

But this really makes me sad. I was looking forward to this game, and I mean I guess I'll have fun watching a Let's Play but it has definitely un-sold me on the PS4. Why spend tons and tons of money to get a game that isn't as good as one I could easily get on PC or PS3? And at the same time both of those systems have tons of other things going for them that the PS4 doesn't. Heck even Persona 5 isn't going to be PS4 exclusive.

I guess it'll be sort of like the PS3 was. You have to wait 5-ish years for them to finally scrape together a big enough library to make a purchase worth it.

In the meantime Vita is still hemorrhaging VNs (in a good way) so I think I'll just stick with that.

Its still a great game, just going to have to do a challenge run to get the level of difficulty I was hoping for from the start. Maybe NG+ will be better.

Another annoying note is the randomly generated dungeons. Nice idea, would have been epic in dark souls where there is actually things to loot, but otherwise it is just a grindfest of you running through repeating dungeon assets looking for the lever or chests with nothing in them but items you have to find to generate another dungeon. Just an annoyance between bossfights, and only one of the dungeon bossfights I've played have even killed me, and that was an instakill attack I wasn't expecting. Maybe you get some epic lovecraftian bossfights if you farm up enough to generate the really deep versions, but I won't be bothering with that for my first few playthroughs.