Omg

jldkrocks

if you have not read them:

Muv Luv series, now Muv Luv extra is not that good and Unlimited is merely good but alternative is definitly a must read and to understand it completely you need to have read these two first.

(I so hope muv luv alternative get's an anime adaption at some point)

http://vndb.org/v93 (extra/unlimited) yes they are packed into one game

http://vndb.org/v92 (alternative)

Tsukihime Another must play, and no this one does not have a anime adaption.

http://vndb.org/v7 (it is ancient, got no voice and no music. But it is so good)

I have read quite a few recently and can not find any ones that seem to my taste.

If my heart had wings

Grisaia no Kajitsu

Hoshizora no Memoria

Wait, you mean these three weren't to your taste? 

Hrrrmmm...

Try Muv-Luv, Fate/Stay if you don't mind decade-old art

Steins;Gate

Eden*

Ayakashibito

Comyu

Cross Channel

Tsukihime

Fate/Stay Night

Sekien no Inganock

Shikkoku no Sharnoth

Eien no Aselia

I/O

That's a list of great translated VNs... Tsukihime suffers from dated visuals and Cross Channel suffers from a protagonist who is completely insane and a story that is told in a somewhat disjointed manner.  I/O is probably over the head of about 70% of humanity, and Fate/Stay Night might be old but it is still great.  Eien no Aselia is probably the best translated VN with gameplay.  Sekien no Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth are both by Liar-soft... and you'll have to decide for yourself whether you like their style.  Comyu is the only translated Akatsuki Works game (which means it is worth checking out, if only to understand what you are missing by not knowing Japanese), and Ayakashibito is a great game that has a slightly different visual and storytelling style than is the norm for Japanese VNs.  Eden* is the only truly great Minori game... and an utsuge (meaning there is no real 'happy' ending). 

I haven't played a lot of VN's yet, but I can recommend three good ones if you're into Science-Fiction and Mystery. I would highly suggest those three:

999 (For the Nintendo 3DS which you can emulate, my personal favourite VN),

Ever17,

YU-NO (You can say it took more more than 100 hours to finish this one but it was among the best thrills)

Eden*

Ayakashibito

Comyu

Cross Channel

Tsukihime

Fate/Stay Night

Sekien no Inganock

Shikkoku no Sharnoth

Eien no Aselia

I/O

That's a list of great translated VNs... Tsukihime suffers from dated visuals and Cross Channel suffers from a protagonist who is completely insane and a story that is told in a somewhat disjointed manner.  I/O is probably over the head of about 70% of humanity, and Fate/Stay Night might be old but it is still great.  Eien no Aselia is probably the best translated VN with gameplay.  Sekien no Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth are both by Liar-soft... and you'll have to decide for yourself whether you like their style.  Comyu is the only translated Akatsuki Works game (which means it is worth checking out, if only to understand what you are missing by not knowing Japanese), and Ayakashibito is a great game that has a slightly different visual and storytelling style than is the norm for Japanese VNs.  Eden* is the only truly great Minori game... and an utsuge (meaning there is no real 'happy' ending). 

I think ef is the best work of minori and eden comes in the second place but oh well :P