Stories with unpredictable love interest winning

crunchytaco

Is there any title that ends with the protagonist picking a love interest no one could predict? Is there one where the main heroine doesn't win? 

Anime has a "piss me off" trend where the main character starts out having romantic chemistry with my favorite girl, only to end up with the safe choice most of the time (not my favorite girl.) 

Even my favorite visual novel (ML:A) pisses all over me in that department.

I feel you, the heroines I like are almost always never the ones who get picked, it's tough.

I absolutely despise anime that take the safe route. A great example of an anime that gave me the middle finger like that was True Tears which actually builds a relationship with this interesting and quirky female lead, only to proceed to dump her over the annoying cheeky childhood friend.

Another one for me would be Clannad. Nagisa was a nice girl and all and I don't hate her, but Ryou was the girl I wanted to win, though I understood she's not the main girl so I could kind of excuse it since there's a true route and all.. EXCEPT THE ANIME MADE A SPIN-OFF WHERE RYOU GETS PHYSICALLY DUMPED BY THE PROTAG OVER HER TWIN AND DOESN'T DO THE OPPOSITE.

F*ck you Kyoto Animation.

But there's some series where the best girl wins.

My favorite example is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai where at the very end of the entire adventure in the manga, the girl who I most longed for to win, despite all odds and the amount of female characters in the series, actually freaking won.

I was crying with joy.

I really want more stories like this.

I feel you, the heroines I like are almost always never the ones who get picked, it's tough.

I absolutely despise anime that take the safe route. A great example of an anime that gave me the middle finger like that was True Tears which actually builds a relationship with this interesting and quirky female lead, only to proceed to dump her over the annoying cheeky childhood friend.

Another one for me would be Clannad. Nagisa was a nice girl and all and I don't hate her, but Ryou was the girl I wanted to win, though I understood she's not the main girl so I could kind of excuse it since there's a true route and all.. EXCEPT THE ANIME MADE A SPIN-OFF WHERE RYOU GETS PHYSICALLY DUMPED BY THE PROTAG OVER HER TWIN AND DOESN'T DO THE OPPOSITE.

F*ck you Kyoto Animation.

But there's some series where the best girl wins.

My favorite example is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai where at the very end of the entire adventure in the manga, the girl who I most longed for to win, despite all odds and the amount of female characters in the series, actually freaking won.

I was crying with joy.

Even in the VN ryou's route was a bad end so this was never meant to be, sorry mate. Don't worry though, there is a good ending for ryou as well ;)

Also, kyou best clannad girl :(

Nosebleed, I recommend you watch saekano alongside taco and me. The main girl in that show would never have any chance in any other anime ever :)

I always get told Saekano is pretty boring/generic, though I plan to watch it eventually.

And really, Ryou doesn't get an ending where she dates the protagonist? That's even crappier.

She does

But you don't get a light at the end of that route so its a bad end. You get her good ending some other way but yeah spoilers...

The general idea is that you are supposed to realize each girl's happiness and ryou doesn't actually 'belong' with the protag

Her 'true end' is pretty satisfying ;)

I was crying with joy.

If only it wasn't blatantly obvious the entire time (maybe it was just me?).  It was obvious she was different from the rest after the first arc, and at the end of the arc before the Goddess arc, it became set in stone that she would win.

I don't read enough of the genre's where this actually happens.  As I mostly prefer action, usually there are only up to three females that seriously have a shot, and even then it's obvious that two of them are there as foils rather than romantic development.  If I had to pick out the only notable time this happened, it would have been in a hentai named Power Play.

If only it wasn't blatantly obvious the entire time (maybe it was just me?).  It was obvious she was different from the rest after the first arc, and at the end of the arc before the Goddess arc, it became set in stone that she would win.

I don't read enough of the genre's where this actually happens.  As I mostly prefer action, usually there are only up to three females that seriously have a shot, and even then it's obvious that two of them are there as foils rather than romantic development.  If I had to pick out the only notable time this happened, it would have been in a hentai named Power Play.

Well yeah It was pretty much set in stone, especially at the end of the Goddess arc at the school festival.

But sometimes some series do this and then at the end play it off safe and don't go for any of the girls (inb4 To Love-Ru) whereas in this case they actually ended up going out which is the rare part and what I genuinely appreciated.

This kind of development rarely happens so it's always a breath of fresh air when it does happen.

Well yeah It was pretty much set in stone, especially at the end of the Goddess arc at the school festival.

But sometimes some series do this and then at the end play it off safe and don't go for any of the girls (inb4 To Love-Ru) whereas in this case they actually ended up going out which is the rare part and what I genuinely appreciated.

This kind of development rarely happens so it's always a breath of fresh air when it does happen.

I'm gonna be oppositional here and say that TLR was NEVER about the romance and instead was a very well designed cash grab at people's ecchi side, which I still love to this day <3.   I would say the just as equally rare trend is for any romantic development happening at all in any shonen that isn't strictly romance.  We have way too many harems in trend over the past 8 years and its bothering.  

I was reading Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan manga and thinking "we got another harem here" (its a guilty pleasure) when all of a sudden chapter 10 happened and the main couple actually confessed!  I was blown away thinking "wait... that just happened right? WHAT!?".  

It's more prominent in manga for this to happen I guess, then again I only read Shoujo if I want an interesting romance, but in anime it's a very rare occurence for a harem to actually pick a main couple to end up dating, especially with newer anime, I haven't seen a good romantic anime that isn't strictly shoujo where the protag even ends up with a girl and it really pains me to see this trend happening, particularly when anime teases you at romantic feelings and then doesn't develop it/conclude it.

A good and very recent example is the anime adaptation of Serei Tsukai no Blade dance where you clearly knew who was the main couple, and they even kiss, but the anime doesn't go further than that and by the end you're left there thinking about what was the point when it just turns into a harem blob.

Oh and I love To Love-Ru too, I was just giving an example of an endless harem which is what many anime chose to go with.

The difference is To Love-Ru has interesting PLOT and it always knows what it wants to do (i.e Boobs) whereas a lot of the others are PG 13 harem childish romances that amount to jack shit.

For me, romances or anime that hint at romance and then don't end up fully developing it really grind my gears, this is a pet peevee I've been stuck with since I pretty much started watching anime.

A good and very recent example is the anime adaptation of Serei Tsukai no Blade dance where you clearly knew who was the main couple, and they even kiss, but the anime doesn't go further than that and by the end you're left there thinking about what was the point when it just turns into a harem blob.

As I read the translation of the books before attempting the anime (holy crap, did they record that audio over the phone?), it was clear that nothing was ever going to develop.  At 13 books in, the protag is making his round solving a problem each of the girls has, with number 13 being ice girl.

About the trend of anime just not finishing and leaving an incomplete adaptation that has been the trend recently, we can make a different thread for that.

I say that Shin Sekai Yori might fall into this category if not for the fact that you never knew who was going to get picked off next.

As I read the translation of the books before attempting the anime (holy crap, did they record that audio over the phone?), it was clear that nothing was ever going to develop.  At 13 books in, the protag is making his round solving a problem each of the girls has, with number 13 being ice girl.

I say that Shin Sekai Yori might fall into this category if not for the fact that you never knew who was going to get picked off next.

I'm glad I didn't pick up the Light Novels then, because I genuinely lost interest in the series just from the anime, now I know I made a good choice.

Shinsekai Yori is a pretty good example indded, though it's kind of obvious how it ends after some point but it's rather unpredictable for the most part.

Further thought on the subject leads me to think that Shin Sekai Yori might actually be an exception of exceptions also due to the fact that its a GIRL as the protagonist. That show is still my Top 3  :heart:

Ooooooo, I just hit the jackpot after checking my archive of things I've watched: Katanagatari

Damn if this one wasn't completely out of left field. Like I doubt anyone saw how this one ended :3

The only other one which might be classified in this catagory would be Card Captor Sakura, except I can't remember the ending x.x

If I remember right the Shuffle! anime ends with him choosing a minor heroine, though she was certainly my favorite in the VN. I don't remember it being too bad, but it has been like 6 years since I watched it and a lot of people on here say it is trash.