Persona

p4izanagi

I was going to say that I don't think Arena is a good game, but in retrospect I actually just don't think I'm qualified to judge it, since I'm terrible at fighting games. Maybe in that scene it's considered good. I did rather enjoy playing it, just for getting more time with characters I liked, but that certainly doesn't make it good; there are plenty of terrible things I enjoy.

Q is definitely debatable as well. It has its moments, but it drags a lot, especially when it comes to advancing its own story.

I was going to say that I don't think Arena is a good game, but in retrospect I actually just don't think I'm qualified to judge it, since I'm terrible at fighting games. Maybe in that scene it's considered good. I did rather enjoy playing it, just for getting more time with characters I liked, but that certainly doesn't make it good; there are plenty of terrible things I enjoy.

Q is definitely debatable as well. It has its moments, but it drags a lot, especially when it comes to advancing its own story.

I'd say all of them are good but my soul is owned by Atlus so I don't really have a choice in the matter.

The only part of 4/Golden that annoyed me was Marie's dungeon because it's like starting from scratch.   As long as you prepare (ie grind in Magatsu Inaba) it's fine, but there was no reason for it to exist. 

• 1 month later...

Plug some music into your phone and walk around until 6:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LaHhOPbTe8

Perhaps someone out there recognizes the song, but probably not.  At 6:30, start heading to class.

(Is linking an actual song going too far?  xD.  Apologies for the vagueness though, doing something at the moment. )

Oh I dig it.  That's one of the main reasons I could trudge through that game. 

SMT series yes.  I can't stand Etrian Odyssey though. 

Anyway, my choice is go explore the school before class. 

I've been finding Etrian good myself, though it might have to do with different tastes.  Etrian style seems to be an evolution on standard Megaten refit for a different focus.  Whereas Megaten has the whole Order/Neutral/Chaos dynamic, and Persona is the flagship series with strong characters and really good graphics, Etrian-style seems to be making dungeon crawling itself a mechanic.  It's more about resource management and the risk/reward of continuing on or falling back to the town than it is about the combat in and of itself.  It's slower-paced and does what it can to make up for the lack of a portable's graphical capabilities, whereas in Persona they can take full advantage of it and make the aesthetic style and music bring the game to life through other avenues.

It has to do with what each franchise is built around, and the mechanics it uses to cover its weaknesses and increase its strengths.  Megaten and Persona certainly have elements of them, but I consider Etrian one of the strongest examples of dungeon crawling as a mechanic, and I actually think it's a good place to look for inspiration in terms of gameplay-heavy RPGs.  If you look at what mechanical elements they added and took away in Persona Q in contrast to Etrian Odyssey, you'll see that they're actually all based around things that are either fixing problems Etrian has and experimenting with different approaches to the same core fundamentals, or based around giving players further incentive to take choices that are more in-line with what they think makes the game more fun.  (With the exception of pre-set P3/P4 characters as opposed to player-made ones.  That's definitively a result of the crossover thing.)

oh i can agree that the remakes are getting ridiculous, but i just dont like the new direction theyre going with P5.

I in P3 you play a quiet, weird, emo kid, whos only talents lied in fighting shadows. so the group made you more or less the muscles of the group when it came to fighting. the rest of the group had their own roles and felt more interesting. its interesting to be in control of a character whos part of a bigger world and it and the characters around you, continued on with or without your input.

P4 kind of lost this when they promote you to leader. even though you have no input when the group is brainstorming. except when every so often they ask you what you think and you give them your opinion and it doesnt affect the story in any way. well, except at the end. i would have preferred it if they all had their own titles or something. instead "You're the leader and we must follow your every word because of it." but at least when it came to battles it felt like you need your friends around you, because your character still felt like he had limitations. he may be good with conjuring multiple shadows but he was only relying on his only strength.

in P5 your character is a cat burglar. who can do acrobatics, jump out windows, jump across chandeliers with ease, and can use stealth. i just dont like the fact that their making him a super being. i always thought the appeal to persona was that your friends make you stronger as a person and as a fighter. which is why, even though you have your limits, your friends were there to help in your shortcomings.

i guess im just looking to much into it.

also sorry solidbatman but ive never heard of Snowboard Kids.

oh i can agree that the remakes are getting ridiculous, but i just dont like the new direction theyre going with P5.

I in P3 you play a quiet, weird, emo kid, whos only talents lied in fighting shadows. so the group made you more or less the muscles of the group when it came to fighting. the rest of the group had their own roles and felt more interesting. its interesting to be in control of a character whos part of a bigger world and it and the characters around you, continued on with or without your input.

P4 kind of lost this when they promote you to leader. even though you have no input when the group is brainstorming. except when every so often they ask you what you think and you give them your opinion and it doesnt affect the story in any way. well, except at the end. i would have preferred it if they all had their own titles or something. instead "You're the leader and we must follow your every word because of it." but at least when it came to battles it felt like you need your friends around you, because your character still felt like he had limitations. he may be good with conjuring multiple shadows but he was only relying on his only strength.

in P5 your character is a cat burglar. who can do acrobatics, jump out windows, jump across chandeliers with ease, and can use stealth. i just dont like the fact that their making him a super being. i always thought the appeal to persona was that your friends make you stronger as a person and as a fighter. which is why, even though you have your limits, your friends were there to help in your shortcomings.

i guess im just looking to much into it.

also sorry solidbatman but ive never heard of Snowboard Kids.

Or maybe, he can only do these things "because" of his persona.  I still think that model will not change either, kinda like P3 he's probably strong of body but weak of heart.