Persona

p4izanagi

Completely agreed with this, though I can only say that that's exactly how I feel about Persona Q. I haven't played any of the Etrian games, and the fact that the Persona Q gameplay is modeled off them makes me even less likely to play them now than I was before. I think I just don't like dungeon crawling as a gameplay mechanic.

Regarding main character personality: I actually dislike how P3 and P4 both have a main character with basically no personality or agency. I understand why they're doing it, of course, and that it's to some degree the point of the game... but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. I'm not playing these games to insert myself in the main character's life - I'm playing them because I freaking love the characters and the group dynamics. So, I'm really hopeful that the P5 main character will have a little more inherent substance and personality, and so spice up the daily life a little further.

That actually sounds quite likely, given that that's pretty much what they've been doing so far.

I always felt like P3MC did have a lot of character. It was just really subtle. His appearance and demeanour are big hints pointing at the apathy towards life which we see more clearly in the movie. (eg. he brings his headphones everywhere with him, his slouched posture, emo-ish hairstyle) The way he just doesn't give a shit when the dark hour comes and is so willing to just agree to joining SEES without giving anyone a reason, too.

Overall, I think P3MC's silence isn't just to allow the player to self-insert. It's actually one of the main traits of his character.

Of course, that's definitely not the case for the P4 guy, who's supposed to be some loveable outgoing guy.

Yeah, I'll grant that P3MC did have an obvious emo, leave-me-alone vibe to him, which fit well with his overall quietness. However, it didn't really fit with the charisma he apparently projects, or explain why everybody was so open with him... And in terms of vibe vs. actual personality, contrast him with Neku from TWEWY. Similar look and feel, but Neku had loads and loads of personality, brought out in every action and voiceover line. In retrospect, those games really have a lot in common... and now I'm imagining P3, but subbing in Neku as the main character, and replacing boring Persona combat with awesome TWEWY combat. And then add all the other TWEWY characters as comrades/social links, alongside the whole P3 cast and plot. I would probably never stop playing that game.

Anyway. In retrospect, P4MC did bring one big piece of personality to the table: a love for terrifying leftovers. That joke still garners quite a bit of outright laughter from me every time I play the game.

• 2 weeks later...

So, i'll stick up with this thread for a LOONG time, consider me a Persona/Shin Megami Tensei fanboy.

That mirror Opening is GREAT.

Okay, all joking aside, I think the FES opening is just brilliant. Portable's is cool too, but nothing beats that FES mash-up.

I hate openings with gameplay screens, thus, the "mirror" opening has a good meaning.

That's understandable. It's pretty spoilerific, if you pay attention to what's going on.

Speaking of FES, anyone else just love Metis? She's so OP in battle. The Answer would require even more hours of grinding without her.

Wow. That looks so much better than P3P. Now I really want to go back and play FES (I've only played P3P), both for the animated characters and The Answer...

Like Portable is great and all as a follow-up but to me it's not a real persona game unless you have the ability to get lost in the school.