Stray Cat

2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

I think I will start today watching it. Probably the first and second season. I'm glad the one I voted for won but do you know why I voted for that one? I altready told that I have absolutely none experience in this genre and so I looked through all of them on MAL and desided after that.

But it's not what you think... I didn't read the description or anything like that I just selected the one with the most appealing drawing style. And that was Selector Infected it looked kind of cute :wahaha:  ... It seems I'm a really simple minded person and easy to manipulate  :P  . I hope I'll like it ...

I think I will start today watching it. Probably the first and second season. I'm glad the one I voted for won but do you know why I voted for that one? I altready told that I have absolutely none experience in this genre and so I looked through all of them on MAL and desided after that.

But it's not what you think... I didn't read the description or anything like that I just selected the one with the most appealing drawing style. And that was Selector Infected it looked kind of cute :wahaha: ... It seems I'm a really simple minded person and easy to manipulate :P . I hope I'll like it ...

So you might as well have picked it out of a hat?

Gonna start tonight and from what I heard, I think I'll like the darkness beneath the surface...

on episode two i can say only one thing what are the rules to this game? What is growing why did 

hitoe cry when all the cards in her hand were destroyed. also what is with the turn system. It's seems like all the deck types have different abilities but do the Lrigs also have abilities? There are a couple things similar to the yu-gi-oh anime in this. one of the main ones being the lack of rules.

on episode two i can say only one thing what are the rules to this game? What is growing why did 

hitoe cry when all the cards in her hand were destroyed. also what is with the turn system. It's seems like all the deck types have different abilities but do the Lrigs also have abilities? There are a couple things similar to the yu-gi-oh anime in this. one of the main ones being the lack of rules.

then there is the time where mc double attacks while casting two spells......wtf. I mean even hitoe went "again??!!"

Finished episode 10

I feel like Hitoe os such a punching bag in the series. I know everyone else suffered too but making her go through the same thing twice. Poor gir

:(

Also i noticed that LRIG can't make wishes come true unless conditions are met.

If you think back at Yuzuki, the conditions were met when Kazuki was confronted with the rumors, leading him to think about his sister i a romantic way.

After that all that happened was Yuzuki and Hanayo switched places and all Hanayo did after was pretty much confess her feelings.

There was no magic, no nothing.

Same thing goes for Hitoe, although the difference is that she made friends outside of battle and i believe that's why she didn't switch places.

So, to put it simply, it feels like the LRIG system doesn't grant wishes, it simply waits around for conditions to be met and then they switch places with their Selector.

Meaning that the show is basically about LRIG conquering the human world, there's absolutely no benefit to the Selector.

Episode 1&2:

The art direction of this show is really good. I like how the color palette fits the atmosphere, and the backgrounds are gorgeous. It really sets the mood. There's also the usual art tone shift when we enter the battles, and that one isn't bad either.

Might be me but some elements of direction in ep 1 reminded me a bit of Lain, but it's a bit too faint to see a link.

The animation has been pretty average so far. Quality kinda drops in episode 2.

As for the story... Well, seeing Mari Okada at the script really didn't have anything to make me confident.

First, it's pretty obvious from the beginning that the show isn't really going to focus on competition or on the card game itself, contrary to some other anime of the same kind. We don't know the rules at all, and there's probably none: so far it's just a big plot device for allowing battles and drama. The comparison to Yu-gi-oh is actually not bad: it's pretty much like at the beginning when the characters could just do whatever shit and invoke three blue eyed white dragons in a row and win like that :P

It's even more obvious considering that apparently you can just jump onto a newbie to get easy victories or rope/bully people into battling (Akira a shit).

For that reason I can't quite make the link to Madoka yet, although I guess maybe elements of "unavoidable fate" or "Faustian contracts" will get introduced later. Right now it's just yet another battle royale clone.

I really don't understand either why everyone seem to turn borderline batshit insane psycho during the battles. I wonder there'll be a reason later or if it's just "lol Okada".

I think some things could turn out quite interesting. Kendjin pointed out a possible point of view where all of this would be a metaphor for the struggles for adolescence & the usual. 

However what I expect the most so far is a huge dramafest. I hope they'll give a basis of rule sometimes later so I can somewhat care about the battles, and I hope they'll make the characters a bit more interesting. Calling some stuff for later:

-One of Ruko's friend is gonna die. Hitoe sounds like a good candidate, or maybe the other one. Probably on ep 4 or 8.

-Tama's (btw she's really irritating) gonna turn blood-frenzied during a battle and harm someone against Ruko's will.

Ohh, I see where that faint Lain impression came from (probably). The director of the show, Satou Takuya, who as often also did the storyboard of ep 1, did work on Lain when he was a beginner. He did the storyboard of an episode on it. Hence those electric pole shots and all that stuff in episode 1, and that Lain-esque cut at the very end of the opening. 

I see that he was slightly involved in Princess Tutu too, which has a similar kind of atmosphere. Unrelated but his most notable work seems to be the direction of Steins;Gate, not a bad CV.

Gonna pin my hope on him restraining the Okada drama fest :P

(Sorry for the staff nerd spilling)

Finished WIXOSS

Quick impressions

Clearly a split 2 cour, there's no way this can be considered a 1 cour with that ending.

Lots of things left unanswered.

Pretty decent art and sound directing except this one battle where they just played background music throughout the whole thing and it felt so out of place (there were no SFX, just music).

Favorite character was Yuzuki. Out of the main three she fought for her wish the most no matter what anyone thought, I like characters like that. It's just a shame she became a sacrifice in the end.

Hitoe comes in a close second. The reason she's not first is that she was virtually a punching bag throughout the series.

"Hey look this is what happens when you lose 3 times. This is what happens when you try to fight it. Look at this girl suffering like hell!"

Unfortunately, and even though I hoped otherwise, Ruko was my least favorite out of the three.

Now I didn't hate her, not at all, but she really didn't stick with me much because she was sort of going with the flow half the time and the gimmick she initially had (battling for fun) was cast away at the end and I thought she was better off just being the girl that likes battling. She took forever to come up with a wish and when she did come up with one I felt like it was a cheap "look at this one character and their righteous wish that's totally better than anyone else's and will fix everything (except not)!". Basically a Madoka move (I don't praise Madoka for her wish either).

As for the LRIG characters. Tama was so-so, I didn't hate her but I liked her more at the beginning, much like Ruko, but I don't blame her for feeling the way she did at the end.

Hanayo-san..I'm not sure, you can consider her evil for lying or a good girl for making Yuzuki's wish come true, I really don't know how to rate her.

The rest of the LRIG are pretty forgettable (except for Ulith), Midoriko had virtually no role, Akira's LRIG has no character, and the one LRIG that made a cameo (that loli) never came back again (I  hope they will in S2).

Akira as a villain was pretty shitty. They really tried to make her look like the worst possible human scum on earth, which worked, but I feel like a good villain is someone you also care for and I feel like Akira was just placed there for you to know where to channel your hatred.

Same thing with Iona, but Iona was someone you know jack shit about except that her LRIG is the most annoying character in the entire show.

And still, that one thing that mildly bothered me was the game rules which were never explained, you just sort of know that "grow" means that the LRIG gets extra parts and the rest is just summoning stuff for them to use. The turns were also incredibly weird, if there were even turns and apparently only the blue deck has a deck ability since no one else used one.

Lastly, the LRIG system is quite literaly useless since all it does is make the Selectors suffer. There's literally nothing to gain from battling for the Selectors. 

Overall though, it's still a solid 8/10 for WIXOSS. I was thinking it might get a 9, but that ending left a lot to be desired and some of the characters didn't turn out as great as i thought they could, so I can't push my rating that high. But on the bright side, WIXOSS is definitely on the "girls suffering" genre and fit within what I was looking for when I asked for a psychological anime, and on top of that it was never boring to watch.

So I think 8/10 is very fair.

If I may make a suggestion, can we vote on wether or not we want to watch season 2 after season 1? Basically just consider this a 2-cour show.

Because this is clearly meant to be a 2-cour with that cliffhanger ending (hell they even show a preview of the next episode).

I was already gonna do that, though I kinda figured most would want to keep watching (it's only 24 episodes total).

@NB

I agree it's not perfect, but you gotta admit those were some pretty freaking awesome twists.  Especially at episode 8.  I liked Yuzuki best as well.

I haven't watch season 2 though so I have no idea how it goes. 

Alright, got through Episodes 2 and 3.

Akira needs to calm her tits. Sheesh.

I really like how the battle environments are determined. The gentle atmosphere between Hitoe and Ruuko as opposed to the much darker tone set between Akira and Yuzuki. Taking into account that a battle has to be consented to in order for it to happen, I guess the spaces are created by the mutual agreement for battle and a form of connection forms between their minds, hence why they kinda pass out when they do these battles. I don't know really, just what I think right now.

I am seeing more of the Madoka-ness now, but it is still pretty early for me to be saying anything on what it is similar to. Although I will put down how the card battles really remind me of Magic: The Gathering... which pleases me greatly.

Still thinking it is quite pleasing aesthetically. Music fits the scenes each time, and I still am loving the art style. With those flashbacks to that dream Ruuko had, I am standing by what I said earlier about that thing that was impaled looking like it was from Knights of Sidonia... which is creepy as hell.

It will be interesting to see what happens from here. I am really looking forward to the rest of it.

Also, YuzukoXKazuki forever and ever. Amen. Akira don't be so mean just because she wants her little bro to notice her!!

See you guys in 3 more episodes.

Episode 5

Oh look, we keep this bullshit a secret till now. Losing your battle causes you to get the reverse of your wish. Taking Hitoe out of the episode, in the worst way possible. She can never make friends. Once again an anime pisses me off. There was no reason that rule had to be kept a secret other than to add some BS drama.

I like Hitoe as a character, yet she gets some stupid super shit crap punishment. I'm actually angry.

Time to work my way through the rest of this stupidly painful anime, an anime we know will purposely cause the main characters to lose so they turn into miserable wrecks. Its Madoka all over again

All I want is for them to throw the cards away.

Episode 5

Oh look, we keep this bullshit a secret till now. Losing your battle causes you to get the reverse of your wish. Taking Hitoe out of the episode, in the worst way possible. She can never make friends. Once again an anime pisses me off. There was no reason that rule had to be kept a secret other than to add some BS drama.

I like Hitoe as a character, yet she gets some stupid super shit crap punishment. I'm actually angry.

There is a reason they couldn't reveal it, they explain it later on.

Also the anime is pretty much set to show us girls suffering, that's kind of the goal of watching it as well.

Don't be a softy Ken, go play Corpse Party ;)

You know I hate Corpse Party :(

Episode 6

Half way through, Ruuko beats Akira, which lets be honest was pretty awesome. I don't know if we are meant to feel sad that she's one step closer to losing her wishes, but I felt nothing for her. We see her getting dropped from the next issue of the magazine as well, could this mean a loss carries some small loss towards your wish? If so its not consistent, due to Hitoe losing and gaining two friends.

Its probably clear by now, I'm not a fan of the suffering girl genre. So I think I'll have a rough ride, but I'm gonna ride it out. As it stands it looks like a sort of Madoka energy drain bullshit thing, which is why they don't tell them the risks

We learn that Akira basically "kills" the sick girl by grabbing a cheap win. We find out Akira's wish. Iona does the same trip, baiting Akira in for a fight. No doubt a battle she loses.

I wish Ruuko stopped being a little bitch though, just be the monster we all know you'll be and destroy them all, at least that way it'll be over.

Yuzuki is being a little bitch too.

Oh another selector, a loli. YAY! Bet she turns out to be a TOTAL bitch!

Yuzuki wins her battle, we find out it looks like its all a con and no one will ever be happy. But don't worry, I'm broken now, I feel no emotions, they mean nothing to me anymore, well done anime, you've made me not give a shit about your characters. They'll just make me sad, they'll make me cry, makes you wish it would all just end.

End of the episode... We meet Hitoe's mum, she tells us about the pain Hitoe feels, but it matters not anymore, I can't shed anymore tears. All I hear now is a soft buzzing.