Hello from Vancouver Canada

Parallel Pain

Thank you everyone.

My favourites depend on genre.

For traditional slice-of-life romance my favourite is Really? Really!(PC) followed closely by Tomoyo After - It's a Wonderful Life (PS2 or 10th Ani). Both I have read over 5 times. I rank both of them higher than their parent games (Shuffle! and Clannad respectively) for the exact same reason, that it develop the characters and goes into more depth.

RPG mix my favourite is Tears to Tiara II - Heir to the Overlord. It's so good that after reading the Japanese version I bought the English one once it came out and decide to make youtube video playthrough for it. Of course I have to facepalm at a lot of the translation...but anyway. Second is Utawarerumono.

Lately I've been reading more and more doujin/indie game because of my crappy work-life balance and they are shorter. There's plenty of surprises here.

For slice-of-life romance my favourite doujin is Sakuya (it's an otome-game).

For RPG it's something called Guardian of the Elves. I rank it higher than Kamidori. Which I actually dropped, not because it's bad, but because for being only average or above-average its too long and I don't have the time.

And of course Guardian of the Elves has an awesome soundtrack, better than many professional games I've played, and all composed by indie composers.

Last boss BGM is especially amazing.

Thank you everyone.

My favourites depend on genre.

For traditional slice-of-life romance my favourite is Really? Really!(PC) followed closely by Tomoyo After - It's a Wonderful Life (PS2 or 10th Ani). Both I have read over 5 times. I rank both of them higher than their parent games (Shuffle! and Clannad respectively) for the exact same reason, that it develop the characters and goes into more depth.

OMG, tomoyo after... My beloved tomoyo, sniff...

Who wrote the script of tomoyo after? Who? WHO? I promise I'll not kill you...yet.

Hoohhh I too live in good ol Vancouver.

Welcome to fuwa!

As said above, we are a very strange group, but it's nice here.

You won't leave me... Right?

(Actually your close enough to me, but whatever)

Haha high five!

It feels fine right now is all I can say. I'm very strange too so I'll fit right in.

OMG, tomoyo after... My beloved tomoyo, sniff...

Who wrote the script of tomoyo after? Who? WHO? I promise I'll not kill you...yet.

Eeeer.... Maeda Jun?

I remember he was heartbroken when a lot of Japanese Clannad fans flamed on him for Tomoyo After ending. I feel so bad for him.

Wait I remember you, wasn't I discussing Tears to Tiara with you just now?

OK, battlefield shifts to Tomoyo After now.

I'm heart broken at the ending (FYI, I played the PS3 version, with voiced male protagonist and revised plot), because:

1. Tomoyo is my favorite heroine in Clannad

2. I'm caught off guard since I thought it was just another light hearted fan disc (well the first half is indeed light hearted)

3. I hate how the male protagonist drags Tomoyo into this mess because of his ego.

LOL okay

1) Same. But that doesn't protect her from anything in my books. I'm not a normal fan haha.

2) It was? I thought the first 1/3 was light, but Takafumi's 1/3 was heavy. Then again I was in clinical depression so it might have felt heavier than it really was. In any case yeah that's what got Maeda Jun flamed, people wanting a good ending like Clannad. I remember him lamenting "people were okay with Air's ending, why are they bashing this one?" Reading that someone from the audience yelling out "I loved Tomoyo After!" really warmed my heart.

3) That's my biggest gripe with the piece as well. If it weren't there, I'd have placed it as #1 (well it was still #1 till Really? Really! stole its place). I don't think it's ego. Tomoya himself stated that he wants to see a blood family working out as proof they will work out in the future no matter what happens. Given his upbringing it is understandable, and its something that couples need to eventually work out.

Still, Maeda Jun kept writing that "a family-like group is what makes life worth living". He never said it has to be blood family, and Clannad makes it clear it doesn't. In fact even in Tomoyo After, he points out that it doesn't. Therefore they retreating from the village and raising Tomo as an adopted daughter in a loving family should be just as valid an option. Yet that path is treated as if it's "wrong" and this family is "fake" for some unknown reason. He contradicts his entire theme to write a tragedy when he could've just wrote it as a seperate story with bonding, even struggling (like say the Tomoyo's family finds out) to create a loving family. That should've been just as valid an option, and he could've kept the other option as a well fleshed-out tragedy route.

Still, Maeda Jun kept writing that "a family-like group is what makes life worth living". He never said it has to be blood family, and Clannad makes it clear it doesn't. In fact even in Tomoyo After, he points out that it doesn't. Therefore they retreating from the village and raising Tomo as an adopted daughter in a loving family should be just as valid an option. Yet that path is treated as if it's "wrong" and this family is "fake" for some unknown reason. He contradicts his entire theme to write a tragedy when he could've just wrote it as a seperate story with bonding, even struggling (like say the Tomoyo's family finds out) to create a loving family. That should've been just as valid an option, and he could've kept the other option as a well fleshed-out tragedy route.

My thoughts exactly.

I even believe the writer somehow projects his own value onto the male protagonist, and all I can do is follow his decision to the bitter end. I kept questioning Tomoya's belief, as to why Tomo must be returned to the family that abandoned her in the first place, when she could instead receive care and affection in a loving family-like group, not to mention that her blood family lives in a remote village without a proper school. I would have chosen to adopt Tomo myself should I have the option to do so, but I was deprived of this privilege.

My thoughts exactly.

I even believe the writer somehow projects his own value onto the male protagonist, and all I can do is follow his decision to the bitter end. I kept questioning Tomoya's belief, as to why Tomo must be returned to the family that abandoned her in the first place, when she could instead receive care and affection in a loving family-like group, not to mention that her blood family lives in a remote village without a proper school. I would have chosen to adopt Tomo myself should I have the option to do so, but I was deprived of this privilege.

I'm tempted to believe the same thing. But then he wrote a lot of the opposite from Air to Little Busters! so I don't know what his belief is. I don't know if he's pushing his belief into the story, or pushing it aside just so he can write a tragedy. And yeah if I was confronted with the same situation, I would probably have adopted Tomo.

Keep in mind that I believe the tragedy story and end itself is very well written. Accepting and moving on is a big theme in Tomoyo After (and Clannad), and I echo Ishiki Hikaru (Tomoyo's CV) that the story will seem deeper and more understandable the older you are after you've already lost something.

My objection is that he wrote a separate route (and given the setup, the one most likely to be picked on first playthrough) with them backing off and adopting Tomo. And he wrote it like a bad end. It shouldn't be. Accepting that blood family didn't work out and moving on with an adopted family is still accepting and moving on. He wouldn't be breaking his theme. In fact it would've made a good story as another type of struggling and successfully moving on with help from a family, his theme after all.

He could've wrote two, equally valid routes.

Or if he really wanted to write a tragedy, then he should've made it so that there's no choice option.

Either way this would have made Tomoyo After solidly in my top. But he didn't. He just had to write a supposedly-bad end that went against everything he wrote up to the point.

Keep in mind that I believe the tragedy story and end itself is very well written. Accepting and moving on is a big theme in Tomoyo After (and Clannad), and I echo Ishiki Hikaru (Tomoyo's CV) that the story will seem deeper and more understandable the older you are after you've already lost something.

Yeah, it's well written or else I would not have been this shocked. BUT, how I wish it was some other heroine in Clannad that got involved in this mess, anyone but my beloved tomoyo...

That being said, I don't like the protagonist in Tomoyo route of Clannad either. He believed tomoyo was not one of his kind and gave up easily (damn you tomoya), while the tomoya I knew in other routes wouldn't throw in the towel without a serious fight. What's worse, while I was still struggling against depression and indignation after witnessing their breakup, they somehow ended up together again in the ending. But why? It's as if the writer decided to pacify the possible fan flame and forced out a happy ending. Too bad I was not happy at all, in fact I'd rather they just part ways and move on since I deem the protagonist unworthy of tomoyo's affection and sacrifice, aka, I saw no mental growth in the protagonist till the very end.

That being said, I don't like the protagonist in Tomoyo route of Clannad either. He believed tomoyo was not one of his kind and gave up easily (damn you tomoya), while the tomoya I knew in other routes wouldn't throw in the towel without a serious fight. What's worse, while I was still struggling against depression and indignation after witnessing their breakup, they somehow ended up together again in the ending. But why? It's as if the writer decided to pacify the possible fan flame and forced a happy ending. Too bad I was not happy at all, in fact I'd rather they just part ways and move on since I deem the protagonist unworthy of tomoyo's affection and sacrifice.

I agree. For this part I like the anime take better. Tomoya stepped out so Tomoyo can concentrate on saving her beloved trees, which was the whole point on him stepping out. But then in the game he went back to bumming around (depressed and lonely bumming around but still), while in the anime he did all he could to become a better person. I bet the animators paid attention to the feedback the origional game got.

The funny thing is Maeda Jun himself agreed. And in the post-Clannad interview he said he intended to make Tomoya work hard in the gaiden game.

And we got Tomoyo After. Well he does work hard in it though.