Atelier Games Thread

solidbatman

We need one, even if it just me talking to myself for 7506 posts. 

IJiwrx7.jpg

First off, I freaking love this series. I got into it because of Atelier Rorona which I found enjoyable, relaxing, and just a good way to unwind my day. Kishida's artwork is simply god-tier as well and they way he draws the characters just adds so much atmosphere to the game. Now, I'm not one of the people that will refuse to play the older games too. I'm fairly well into Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The characters are a ton of fun, and nothing pleases me more than breaking all of the fruit boxes the people in town have gathered, all for a bit of elemental mana. I've also begun Atelier Ayesha and really liking a lot of the changes that Gust has made from the Arland series to the Dusk series. 

In other news, Ayesha Plus and Atelier Shallie have both been confirmed for Western release, and Atelier Escha & Logy will be getting a Plus version for the Vita.

So yeah, lets talk about these games, and if you have questions, ask away. I can go on for hours upon hours about this series.  

One more step! Many of us have a little thing that lets us see who stalks. The Queen of Pie will show thee the way

So I think I've asked this before, but where is a good place to start with these games?   I've been interested for a while but, like many things, haven't gotten around to it.  

There are 4 localized sub-series to the Atelier series. 

Atelier Iris Trilogy (PS2)

Mana Khemia 1 & 2 (PS2)

Arland Trilogy (PS3)

Dusk Trilogy (PS3) 

If you want a more traditional JRPG experience without time management, you can start with the first game in either PS2 series (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana or Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

If you want a more slice of life (anime-ish) experience with heavy time management mechanics, the Arland or Dusk series are a good pick (Atelier Rorona Plus being the first one for Arland, Atelier Ayesha for Dusk). 

Each series will have references/ cameos but stand separate from each other. So it really comes down to what kind of experience you want. Item creation is the big thing that connects these game. Kind of the big hook to the series. 

I tend to not be as fond of the classic RPG format (after looking at videos of the first two, the game-play and visuals really bore me).  

So If there's no major hindrance, I think I'll start with Rorona Plus.  It's been 4 months, maybe the price will drop soon. 

Actually, question, is the remake much better than the original?

I tend to not be as fond of the classic RPG format (after looking at videos of the first two, the game-play and visuals really bore me).  

So If there's no major hindrance, I think I'll start with Rorona Plus.  It's been 4 months, maybe the price will drop soon. 

Actually, question, is the remake much better than the original?

The remake improves on the original in many ways. Re-done character models look much better, more items, enemies, characters, and assignments. It takes all the gameplay improvements added in its two sequels and puts them into the game for a much better product. 

The remake improves on the original in many ways. Re-done character models look much better, more items, enemies, characters, and assignments. It takes all the gameplay improvements added in its two sequels and puts them into the game for a much better product. 

But is this worth an additional $40?

Also, is that just Rorona or all of them, because I'd prefer PS3 versions.

If you want a more traditional JRPG experience without time management, you can start with the first game in either PS2 series (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana or Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

Holy shit. Mana Khemia was part of the series?

I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Sadly, I wasn't able to get all the endings.

Was the ghost girl called Pamela? She was my favorite unit.

Anyway, can I use an emulator for the PS2 games? Or is it not recommended?

And are there Atelier games for the PSVita?

Holy shit. Mana Khemia was part of the series?

I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Sadly, I wasn't able to get all the endings.

Was the ghost girl called Pamela? She was my favorite unit.

Anyway, can I use an emulator for the PS2 games? Or is it not recommended?

And are there Atelier games for the PSVita?

Pamela is one of those cameo characters. She is in the Iris trilogy and the Arland games (along with Mana Khemia).

Emulation works for at least Eternal Mana. Haven't checked the others yet but I will try to on my next day off. 

For the Vita, you have the Plus games which are enhanced ports for the Vita. The entire Arland trilogy is on Vita and Ayesha from the Dusk series is being localized. Escha and Logy's Plus version was also just announced,. 

Does that mean I can actually play everything on the Vita?

Maybe with the exception of the PS2 versions?

Yes. All of the more recent titles will get Vita ports at least until the series jumps to PS4. Don't know what happens then. PS2 games aren't on the PSN, and the Vita won't emulate PS2 games anyway. 

Yes. All of the more recent titles will get Vita ports at least until the series jumps to PS4. Don't know what happens then. PS2 games aren't on the PSN, and the Vita won't emulate PS2 games anyway. 

Thanks! Guess I'll be wasting my money on Vita Games then. It's a pity I can't buy eroges yet. But oh well.

I've always wanted to try an Atelier game because the art is so beautiful but I don't play RPG's because I'm terrible at them ;w;. A few months ago I was contemplating on playing one and wanted to play Ayesha but then I found out the North American version took away the jap voices which made me very sad =(

But I'm trying to save up to get Escha and Logy!

I've always wanted to try an Atelier game because the art is so beautiful but I don't play RPG's because I'm terrible at them ;w;. A few months ago I was contemplating on playing one and wanted to play Ayesha but then I found out the North American version took away the jap voices which made me very sad =(

But I'm trying to save up to get Escha and Logy!

I've played the older games like Atelier Iris 1 & 2, and Mana Khemia and enjoyed them all. I think my favorite of those three would be Atelier Iris 1.. maybe because I enjoyed the shopkeeper Veola's interaction with the main character. It was cute.

I played Atelier Rorona and really liked it too. The first character ending I got was for Lionela (my favorite). I think I got all the character endings, and Astrid's ending too^^

Which character was your favorite in Rorona, which ending did you get first?

I've been wanting to play Ayesha (also because I like the color green xD)

I've played the older games like Atelier Iris 1 & 2, and Mana Khemia and enjoyed them all. I think my favorite of those three would be Atelier Iris 1.. maybe because I enjoyed the shopkeeper Veola's interaction with the main character. It was cute.

I played Atelier Rorona and really liked it too. The first character ending I got was for Lionela (my favorite). I think I got all the character endings, and Astrid's ending too^^

Which character was your favorite in Rorona, which ending did you get first?

I've been wanting to play Ayesha (also because I like the color green xD)

I got some random normal ending. Was before I really knew how to play. Waited for Plus to replay it but havent gotten to it. 

Ayesha is pretty fun so far.