Little Busters discussion

Arvis

Well, that makes me feel a little better.  I was so excited for the baseball game and then got slaughtered.  It was very discouraging.  I didn't expect to win, but... 13-2.... ugh...

-Arvis

Yeah, I totally was excited for the baseball game on my first playthrough too.

I don't think my team even scored a single point :ph34r:

So, every time I start a new VN, I always need a place to go to talk about it.  Rather than making multiple threads about specific points, I kinda like to have one discussion thread about the VN.  I searched the forums here for a general Little Busters thread, but couldn't find one.  So here we are.

... There are at least 2 reviews and 3 threads about Little Busters, just repeating what I said in the report but it hasn't been taken into account.

And the seach function worked perfectly for me, I found more than 5 threads.

... There are at least 2 reviews and 3 threads about Little Busters, just repeating what I said in the report but it hasn't been taken into account.

The 3 threads in question are people asking random questions about the game rather than discussion, and the 2 reviews are purely reviews with little ensuing discussion, so they are arguably better left in their own threads. OP could definitely have posted in one of those two review threads, but now adding this discussion to one of those two topics would make things weird.

Therefore I judged this thread could stand on its own. It can serve for further general discussion about LB, I'll just add it to the index.

Yes, sorry. I did find several threads relating to the game, but none of them seemed proper for general discussion.  Thank you for taking the time to look, though.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I am officially on the Kurugaya route, now.  Boy was I confused when I woke up on May 28th, made the wrong choice, then was sent back to the title screen.  I literally thought the game glitched, so I did the same exact thing to see if something different would happen.  I guess that makes me crazy.

Anyways, I finally decided to make a different choice and that got me on the route.  I am already impressed at the writing in this route, so far.  Toward the end of the common route, I felt like things were kind of slipping into a lull with the writing.  But the second I moved on to this route, the writing took a sharp upswing in quality.  The humor is fun and whip-smart again and I am actually quite surprised at how easily I have been able to buy in to Kurugaya's blossoming backstory.  I was worried that she might be "too weird" sympathize with, but I am not having that issue at all.  She and Riki have surprisingly good chemistry together, too.  I left off at "Operation: Little Love-Love Hunters!" and wished desperately that I didn't have to go back to work.  I'm really looking forward to completing this.

-Arvis

Yes, sorry. I did find several threads relating to the game, but none of them seemed proper for general discussion.  Thank you for taking the time to look, though.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I am officially on the Kurugaya route, now.  Boy was I confused when I woke up on May 28th, made the wrong choice, then was sent back to the title screen.  I literally thought the game glitched, so I did the same exact thing to see if something different would happen.  I guess that makes me crazy.

Anyways, I finally decided to make a different choice and that got me on the route.  I am already impressed at the writing in this route, so far.  Toward the end of the common route, I felt like things were kind of slipping into a lull with the writing.  But the second I moved on to this route, the writing took a sharp upswing in quality.  The humor is fun and whip-smart again and I am actually quite surprised at how easily I have been able to buy in to Kurugaya's blossoming backstory.  I was worried that she might be "too weird" sympathize with, but I am not having that issue at all.  She and Riki have surprisingly good chemistry together, too.  I left off at "Operation: Little Love-Love Hunters!" and wished desperately that I didn't have to go back to work.  I'm really looking forward to completing this.

-Arvis

I feel like Kurugaya's route was actually the least memorable for me. I can remember the specific conflicts for all of the other girls, but for some reason, I only have vague memories of Kurugaya. She was a great heroine for sure, and as I'm rereading the common route, I'm remembering how much I liked her. But her route was one of the weakest, imo.

Not to say it was terrible, though, it was still a fun read. Love-Love Hunters was great.

I feel like Kurugaya's route was actually the least memorable for me. I can remember the specific conflicts for all of the other girls, but for some reason, I only have vague memories of Kurugaya. She was a great heroine for sure, and as I'm rereading the common route, I'm remembering how much I liked her. But her route was one of the weakest, imo.

Not to say it was terrible, though, it was still a fun read. Love-Love Hunters was great.

For me Kurugaya's route was one of the best in my opinion. It contributes greatly to refrain but it has a different take on the secondary plot. 

While the story is about the friendship between the guys, the secondary plot is very similar to that of angel beats. After all Jun said something about taking Little Busters and fleshing an idea out in angel beats. Anyway, instead of a regret that she had before the incident, she learns to regret. Also never being able to remember your memories or feelings after so many trials is also really sad.

That's because Kurugaya's so badass that she doesn't have any specific conflict :P

Arvis don't read this since you're still reading Kurugaya's route. (Actually, don't read this until you've beaten Refrain haha)

Another spoiler tag just incase you clicked.

Yeah, Kurugaya's route feels less personal/memorable than the other heroines because the writers decided to use her route to be the one that hints towards the "secret of the world" the most, but given a bit of analysis her route was actually pretty darn tragic.

If I recall correctly, Kurugaya's regret was that she wasn't able to experience emotions. So naturally, with the help of our good guy Riki, she was able to experience emotions like anger, happiness, love, etc etc. so technically the world should have reset once that happened like it does when the other heroines resolve their regrets, however being able to experience emotions instead made Kurugaya have a new wish: for things to stay as they are.

That's what causes the world to flip out and have all of those inconsistencies towards the end of her route and my god the feels were real when she realized that what she was doing was selfish and that she had to let Riki go. (and ultimately forget everything in the process).

That's because Kurugaya's so badass that she doesn't have any specific conflict :P

Arvis don't read this since you're still reading Kurugaya's route. (Actually, don't read this until you've beaten Refrain haha)

Another spoiler tag just incase you clicked.

Yeah, Kurugaya's route feels less personal/memorable than the other heroines because the writers decided to use her route to be the one that hints towards the "secret of the world" the most.

If I recall correctly, Kurugaya's regret was that she wasn't able to experience emotions. So naturally, with the help of our good guy Riki, she was able to experience emotions like anger, happiness, love, etc etc. so technically the world should have reset once that happened like it does when the other heroines resolve their regrets, however being able to experience emotions instead made Kurugaya have a new wish: for things to stay as they are.

That's what causes the world to flip out and have all of those inconsistencies towards the end of her route and the feels were real when she realized what she was doing was selfish and that she had to let Riki go. (and ultimately forget everything in the process)

Hmm, that's true, I suppose. It really might just be that I don't remember it all that well, but when I eventually reach it in my reread, I'm sure I can appreciate that aspect of it a bit more. 

It'll be interesting going back now that I know the secret of the world, with what you said in mind. This really is a great game for multiple playthroughs: even in the common route, there are so many little hints scattered around, and knowing the secret of the world really changes the meaning of some insignificant conversations (like the ones about how Kyousuke doesn't want to go out and find a job, and always wants to play around with everyone).

knowing the secret of the world really changes the meaning of some insignificant conversations (like the ones about how Kyousuke doesn't want to go out and find a job, and always wants to play around with everyone).

A line during the very first battle between Masato and Kengo. :P

At first you just think he's been to obscure places to look for jobs.

9jnsdlJ.jpg

SO MANY SPOILERS I CAN'T READ!!   T_____T

Thanks for using the spoiler tags, though.  Much appreciated.

I stayed up late last night to finish the Kurugaya route.  Is was exceedingly melancholy and unsatisfying.  I was so unsatisfied, I tried to find some information on it, to see if would all "make sense" later.  What I discovered is that, apparently, Kurugaya has her own "true route" ending that you can only view once you have done Refrain?  Is that correct?

Anyways, the game definitely went a completely insane direction there.  One of the things I was enjoying most about LB was the complete lack of anything "supernatural".  It was refreshing, interesting, and sucked me into the world.  Then all of a sudden I was like "What the heck, am I in the Matrix? Vanilla Sky?  WHAT IS THIS!?  CLANNAD DREAM WORLD??!?! AAAAAGH!!!"

And then it ended.

Blegh.  My poor precious Kurugaya.  Would you guys say that, once I have finished this, it would be worth it to do the Kurugaya route again to see the "true" ending?

Anyways, gonna do the Komari route now.  HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY, BOON! :P

-Arvis

Blegh.  My poor precious Kurugaya.  Would you guys say that, once I have finished this, it would be worth it to do the Kurugaya route again to see the "true" ending?

Oh god, that ending. It flew right over and past my head.

I think it's supposed to have some kind of symbolism or something, but I didn't get the true ending at all.

Oh god, that ending. It flew right over and past my head.

I think it's supposed to have some kind of symbolism or something, but I didn't get the true ending at all.

That is not a hopeful sign, for me.

BTW, guys, how the crap do you get Kengo to join the baseball team?  Not having a centerfielder really messed me up, before.  I want to look it up but I am afraid of spoilers.

-Arvis

SO MANY SPOILERS I CAN'T READ!!   T_____T

Thanks for using the spoiler tags, though.  Much appreciated.

I stayed up late last night to finish the Kurugaya route.  Is was exceedingly melancholy and unsatisfying.  I was so unsatisfied, I tried to find some information on it, to see if would all "make sense" later.  What I discovered is that, apparently, Kurugaya has her own "true route" ending that you can only view once you have done Refrain?  Is that correct?

Anyways, the game definitely went a completely insane direction there.  One of the things I was enjoying most about LB was the complete lack of anything "supernatural".  It was refreshing, interesting, and sucked me into the world.  Then all of a sudden I was like "What the heck, am I in the Matrix? Vanilla Sky?  WHAT IS THIS!?  CLANNAD DREAM WORLD??!?! AAAAAGH!!!"

And then it ended.

Anyways, gonna do the Komari route now.  HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY, BOON! :P

-Arvis

Like I said before, I considered Kurugaya's route the weakest, so I get where you're coming from completely. I don't remember her "true" end being TOO significant, but iirc, it gave it a slightly happier ending. Nothing long or groundbreaking though, just an extra scene and a CG, I think. 

And welcome to the best girl's route. Some really didn't like it, but besides Refrain, Komari's route was probably my favorite (and the first one I did, because I liked Komari). Hers is a bit more on the realistic side than Kurugaya's, so you might like it more, too.

Kurugaya's route is one that requires alot of thinking to get the most out of it. Which is why it can appear lackluster to some people.

The first time you play her route yes, all the supernatural shit going on is so confusing it makes you lose track about the themes that are supposed to be portrayed in her route.

Once you complete Refrain and take the time to reflect on her route then you can sort of understand the tragic elements of it

As for the Kurugaya's "true route"

Y'know how Riki was all like "I won't forget!" And pre-refrain it's all tragic because he really does forget once the world resets and all, but post-refrain the ending scene with Kurugaya shows that Riki does indeed remember so it's pretty damn sweet in that aspect.

But yeah the amount of effort you have to put in to come to these conclusions is overkill and I may even be completely wrong about these conclusions xD

I agree that Kurugayas route requires more thinking than the others. I may not have found it lacklustre but I was a lot better with more context.even so it is one of my favourite routes so I may be a little biased. As for kengo, I think he unlocks for baseball when you finish komaris route. He has a little cameo there that signals his... Other side?

Thanks for the tip, Life.

Another question (since I am playing right now): what's the deal with Kurugaya's ecchi pose in the status screen!?  Everyone else is totally normal, and there she is with her boobs all over the place.  I completed her route and never saw nearly so much of her.  It's such a random thing.

-Arvis

Ah, finally a general discussion thread about LB. I wanted to talk about this VN but didn't find a place to start. Now is my chance.

First, is it true that the western players are all playing the original Little Busters that has only 6 character routes?  If so, it's such a pity because the enhanced version Little Busters EX (or better, Little Busters PERFECT EDITION, which is the best version on PC) has a revised plot, new CGs and BGM, and 9 character routes, including a new heroine, saya, whose route is of HIGH quality, plus her theme song is nice too. I do hope the perfect edition will be translated into English someday or else western audience will be missing out on a lot of new content and plot, and I'll have to always refrain from sharing my thoughts on these new contents in this forum for fear of spoiler.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's a list of difference in various versions of LB:

Little Busters <- original version, I suppose this is the version you're playing now

Little Busters EX <- 3 new routes, h scenes added, around 15 new BGMs, revised plot, especially in Kud route. I remember someone said that Kud route is too vague and unsatisfying in this thread, maybe they'll think differently after reading the revised Kud route.

Little Busters Converted Edition for PS2 <- a port of EX version without h scene

Little Busters Converted Edition for PSP <- a port of PS2 version, plus full voice for all characters (excluding Rikki)

Little Busters Converted Edition for PSV <- a port of PSP version, plus a new character sprite for a-chan senpai

Little Busters PERFECT EDITION <- a port of PSV version to PC, plus a new CG, but removed some CGs from PSV version

Little Busters Converted Edition for PS3 <- a port of PSV version, HD graphics and sound, plus the new CG in PERFECT EDITION, and the dungeon exploration in saya route is rendered in 3D. This is the ultimate version of LB. I played this version.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think Kurugaya route is of much importance because it gives the player strong hints on the world setting of LB, that this is not an ordinary school romance, and you should prepare for what is coming in the true route. Her route requires some pondering to understand, so some people may simply dismiss it as weak. Indeed the ending is vague and symbolic, but I hope you'll appreciate it more when you come back from Refrain. (There's also an extra scene in Kurugaya route after finishing Refrain, so please do come back)

Personally I don't like Komari very much because to me her route is bloated and a little too sappy thanks to her vacant and dumb personality. It's easy to anticipate what will happen next since it really is a cliché story. However if you like Komari in the common route, maybe you can enjoy it more than I was.

BTW, I like the character portraits in the status screen, especially Kud's.

Ah, finally a general discussion thread about LB. I wanted to talk about this VN but didn't find a place to start. Now is my chance.

First, is it true that the western players are all playing the original Little Busters that has only 6 character routes?  If so, it's such a pity that the enhanced version Little Busters EX (or better, Little Busters PERFECT EDITION, which is the best version on PC) has a revised plot, new CGs and BGM, and 9 character routes, including a new heroine, saya, whose route is of high quality, plus her theme song is nice too. I do hope the perfect edition will be translated into English someday or else western audience will be missing out on a lot of new content and plot, and I'll have to always refrain from sharing my thoughts on these new contents in this forum for fear of spoiler.

Omg yeah I totally wanted to read the EX! version, but it's not finished translating!!! It's at about 85% at the moment.

I had to settle for watching the subbed anime adaptation  :ph34r: 

I didn't like the adaptation either but honestly I don't think it would have been considered that bad if it wasn't an adaptation. Sure, I was cringing half the time due to how bad it was, I know people who haven't read the VN at all and loved it. On the plus side... at least it wasn't the worst VN>anime adaptation. Regardless I have heard many good things about sayas route too. Looking forward to it.