Anybody use AppLocale?

Eclipsed

I noticed the only method listed regarding changing system locale to Japanese is the one that requires changing settings in the control panel and then restarting.

Naturally this will become quite a hassle for users who need to switch back and forth between system locales for whatever reason.

With the program AppLocale, users can keep their system locale set to their preferred language while only running in Japanese when needed, thus removing the need for constant restarts!

Let me know if you guys are interested and I'll write up a quick guide about it.

EDIT 1: The Fuwans have spoken. Forget you ever heard of AppLocale. You may find instructions on changing your system locale to Japanese over at Fuwanovel's Lovely F.A.Q. Page

Edited by Eclipsed

This has been discussed before, the thing with AppLocale is that it does not always work, and that's why changing your system locale is a flawless way to avoid any problems related to your non unicode settings and why it's the only thing we recommend, there's been problems that got solved by actually changing your non unicode settings instead of using AppLocale.

AppLocale was made for Windows XP because windows XP couldn't do what windows vista and beyond can which is change its non unicode settings.

The features of AppLocale were built into newer OS so you can change non unicode settings at will, so why going back to using AppLocale?

Is there actually any situation that really requires you to constantly change non unicode settings? Because any software will work fine with your non unicode set to japanese.

Sure AppLocale works for some .exe files but not all files, that's why if you want to avoid any kind of issues related to your non unicode settings you'd change your system locale to japanese, it doesn't affect your life in any way unless you're using any software that uses non unicode characters which is rare in most commonly used software.

I've had my locale set to japanese since last year and haven't changed it since and I haven't had a single issue thus far.

AppLocale is just virtually obsolete.

I feel like AppLocale is not favored by our community...
The circumstances in which AppLocale is actually useful are few and far between. I feel like a quick restart is a small price to pay for switching system locale back and forth.

I never understood why people don't just stay in Japanese system locale?

I noticed the only method listed regarding changing system locale to Japanese is the one that requires changing settings in the control panel and then restarting.

Naturally this will become quite a hassle for users who need to switch back and forth between system locales for whatever reason.

With the program AppLocale, users can keep their system locale set to their preferred language while only running in Japanese when needed, thus removing the need for constant restarts!

Let me know if you guys are interested and I'll write up a quick guide about it.

Wasn't this Program Obsolete? I read something about this not being compatible to the new windows systems and such . Or is this a new program :) 

Also what's wrong with leaving your App-locale set to Japanese ?

Its an old program no longer officially supported for like 10 years if not more. On newer windows OSes you can't even install it without messing with UAC. I wonder why Microsoft still allows to download it at all.
Yes, it does not always work. But whats worse, sometimes it works but causes problems that are hard to identify. Personally I only encountered such issues with text display, but who knows what other issues could be due to applocale.
Don't write a guide about it, don't promote this crap.

Edit: Personally I always use Japanese locale too, for many years. And pretty happy with it.

Edited by メルP

Are there any common programs that even notice the difference in locale other than VNs?

I know one. Default windows notepad. You will have hard time reading for example Russian non-unicode files with it if your locale is English or Japanese, in other words doesn't matches the text language.

But seriously, there are tons of Unicode-aware notepad replacements that allow you to read any codepage on any locale.

Edit: but things are different if your default locale is/was English. Then switching to Japanese will not affect notepad in a way I described, cause Japanese codepage includes English characters too.

Edited by メルP

Are there any common programs that even notice the difference in locale other than VNs?

Someone told me they switch back and forth because they shared the computer with a sibling. But that doesn't even seem like a valid reason...

Not to derail But I barely recognize a difference when the locale is set to Japanese. So yeah for them to actually realize that the local is different is beyond me. 

There are a few programs that refuse to work properly with Japanese locale, the one I've encountered is the recording software I use called Bandicam. I've also had a few programs show up completely in Japanese because of it, and while most of the time I can sort of figure out what I need to click, it would be much more difficult for someone who doesn't even know the kana.

There are a few programs that refuse to work properly with Japanese locale, the one I've encountered is the recording software I use called Bandicam. I've also had a few programs show up completely in Japanese because of it, and while most of the time I can sort of figure out what I need to click, it would be much more difficult for someone who doesn't even know the kana.

Given that behind this software is a Korean company, if it doesn't work with Japanese locale, I would say that it was made whatever on purpose or the software is just crappy.

Yeah, some software wrongly checks for locale to select the display language. But most of the time if it does so, means it supports multipe languages and it should be matter of switching it to the language you need, whatever during install or after it. Since this should be a one-time operation, I don't think it hurts much to switch locale to English temporary, install/configure this software and then go back. Though if the installer is something like "installshield", it can even be configured through shortcut/commandline to start in the language you want.

While generally a bad idea, if you absolutely must stay in a different locale, you should try a more modern version like this http://www.hongfire.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=329 (actually recommended for something I had to run in Korean locale (White Day (No I'm not going to play it again)).

Something shit like intel's integrated GPU setting program goes full japanesemode on you and can be annoying.

I wonder if you could run applocale to temporarily get into like Russian locale or whatever instead, would be a funny role reversal.

Edited by Zakamutt

While generally a bad idea, if you absolutely must stay in a different locale, you should try a more modern version like this http://www.hongfire.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=329 (actually recommended for something I had to run in Korean locale (White Day (No I'm not going to play it again)).

Something shit like intel's integrated GPU setting program goes full japanesemode on you and can be annoying.

I wonder if you could run applocale to temporarily get into like Russian locale or whatever instead, would be a funny role reversal.

Yeah, I use the HF version of AppLocale.

Now that you guys mention it though, I guess I don't really have any qualms with leaving my system locale as Japanese; the yen symbol and Notepad issues are whatevers but it was just something I'd thought I'd mention :P .

And omg White Day. Eff that janitor.

Yeah, I use the HF version of AppLocale.

Now that you guys mention it though, I don't really have any qualms with leaving my system locale as Japanese; the yen symbol and Notepad issues are whatevers but it was just something I'd thought I'd mention :P .

Ahaha, yes, I totally forgot! The yen issue! But that's not really locale issue, but rather fonts issue? I don't quite remember the story behind it... But apparently Microsoft considers this to be a feature now :D

Nope, never have and probably never will.  I will admit that it's mildly irritating to have to restart my computer every time I need to switch my system locale, but it's not enough to make me start looking for ways around it.  I've only had a few programs, mostly ones that I'm in the middle of installing, display text in Japanese, but they still work, and I just change the system locale if I really need to install it right then.

By the way, Nosebleed, I accidentally clicked on your signature...what was that even from?  xD

I use AppLocale, vanilla. The HF version didn't work for me and rebooting my PC to change the system locale back and forth isn't much fun. I restart my PC often enough because of dual boot, don't want to reboot 'just' for annoying Windows things on top of that.

AL works just fine. You also can create shortcuts which launch a certain application with AL, so it's convenient.

I haven't ever used AppLocale, actually. While it might seem convenient, there's nothing wrong with changing the unicode settings in winvista+

Maybe the only side-effect from that is screwing up some subtitles when watching something in my native language, but since that's a rare occurrence, it might as well not affect me.