Fuwanovel's Battle of the Guilds!

OriginalRen

Attention:

To all teams of the BOGs competition, I have an announcement to make regarding the change of how relics are played during each turn.

You are no longer required to announce the relic you are playing during the competition via the PM system, and instead may play them whenever you wish by simply editing the Google Sheet when appropriate. Some rules to keep in mind regarding that:

• Relic cards are only used to bribe agents, not locations or other relics
  • Relic cards are only allowed to be played on districts that have at least 1 team agent in them. If an agent is moved from the district due to a special effect and the relic card is all that remains, it is allowed to stay there, however you may not play another relic on top of it until you add another agent to the district. If a friendly agent is moved to a location with your team's relic in it, the card is still placed faceup regardless of what district it moves to - you have entered a relic check condition (see below)
  • Once you play a relic card, all facedown cards are revealed, including the enemy team's cards. The only time a card is not forced to be played faceup is if you add an agent to a district containing an enemy relic; the only time they are forced to place their card faceup is if their opponent decides to play an agent or relic card on subsequent turns. Basically, whenever you enter a relic check condition (see below), cards are forced faceup, otherwise they are allowed to remain facedown if allowed
  • Relics that do not bribe a stake card are left in the district. An agent or relic may be played on subsequent turns in order to enter another relic check condition (see below), otherwise the main value for each stake card continues to be used

When a relic is played, the game enters what it known as a "relic check condition" where all cards are forced to be flipped faceup (if applicable) and a mini Resolution Phase occurs. If the team who played the relic card meets the bribe condition, they immediately win the card and a new card is placed in the district pile. If the team who played the relic card does not meet the bribe condition, play is passed to the next team as normal and the main stat is once again used for determining who wins the stake card. As stated before, the team who played the relic is allowed to place additional agents/relics on the district in subsequent turns in an attempt to enter another relic check condition, but until they do that, the card's main power value is used at all times.

Now, this is where things become important for the teams...

To start, I have added an extra area on the Google Sheets when dealing with relic cards:

jQoQvKb.jpg

As stated earlier, you are no longer required to announce relic cards and may now add them to the board as normal, however when doing so you are now required to change text in the relic condition box located on the Google Sheet. Basically, anytime your team enters a relic check condition, change the "no" to a "yes" in the excel cell and don't do anything else. Do not change the player turn color, and do not change the card counts. Simply announce in the group PM that a relic check condition is in affect and I will take care of the rest. The 1 and only time you are not required to change the "no" to a "yes" for the check condition is when the very last card of the round is a relic card. Since you are entering a normal Resolution Phase after the final card is played, I am able to do the checks myself without having to be told about it.

The reason for this change is due to the fact that players are continuing the round after playing relics. In doing so, you are missing out on the chance for new cards to be revealed, and since I have no way of determining when the card was played unless I go back in and find the edits myself, this is affecting how you may or may not play the round. Basically, whenever a relic check condition or a location card is played, please wait until I do what is necessary so I don't run into problems later on down the line.

TLDR - You are no longer required to announce relic cards when you play them. Simply edit the Google Sheet when playing the card, following all the appropriate rules as stated above. Once you do so, you trigger what is known as a relic check condition. When this happens, simply change the "no" to a "yes" in the respective excel cell and leave the board as is. Do not do anything else as I will take card of the rest. Once the relic check condition is resolved, I will change the "yes" back to a "no" and will let teams know that play can continue as normal.

Thanks guys.

This seems pretty forceful and somewhat of a nerf for relics (though I suppose the saving grace would be the ability to check enemy facedown cards - at the cost of one of your turns.) It also makes you miss out on some mindgames, like playing a relic face-down in one of your districts. (I was also under the impression that relics were "carried" by agents and moving those agents would also move the relic, but I guess that's not it.)

On the other hand, I kind of get the point about misguidedly carrying rounds on, and I suppose this might solve part of that (though people can always choose to not read this announcement as well...) I'd still prefer being able to place them facedown via private PM if bribe conditions are not met by their addition, but oh well, math is hard. Might be wrong, but feels like this is a further disadvantage to teams not playing last w

This seems pretty forceful and somewhat of a nerf for relics (though I suppose the saving grace would be the ability to check enemy facedown cards - at the cost of one of your turns.) It also makes you miss out on some mindgames, like playing a relic face-down in one of your districts. (I was also under the impression that relics were "carried" by agents and moving those agents would also move the relic, but I guess that's not it.)

On the other hand, I kind of get the point about misguidedly carrying rounds on, and I suppose this might solve part of that (though people can always choose to not read this announcement as well...) I'd still prefer being able to place them facedown via private PM if bribe conditions are not met by their addition, but oh well, math is hard. Might be wrong, but feels like this is a further disadvantage to teams not playing last w

Weren't we never allowed to use relics face down in the first place?

Question: If there are an agent and a relic on the district (not yet meet condition), and one team use location card to remove that agent, then what will happen to the relic?

P. sure Ren already answered that - the relic stays on the district, the agent moves.

Weren't we never allowed to use relics face down in the first place?

Really? that's platinum lame if it was true, lol.

Question: If there are an agent and a relic on the district (not yet meet condition), and one team use location card to remove that agent, then what will happen to the relic?

As Zakamutt said, the relic stays at the location.

Question: Are face down cards that stay on board in the end of the round always face up in the next round?

Yes, because during the Resolution Phase all cards are "flipped faceup" in order to resolve each district. In other words, once a card is shown, it doesn't get flipped facedown again unless it moves to another district that allows it to be placed facedown.

P. sure Ren already answered that - the relic stays on the district, the agent moves.

Really? that's platinum lame if it was true, lol.

Relics can never be played facedown, as they are considered check conditions for resolving districts immediately.

It's very enjoyable. Rules took a while to grasp but most people should be good by Match #2 which I think is when the games will really get interesting since there will be more teams playing.

As I remember #1 and #2 matches are 1 on 1 and #3 one is with 3 players. As for it being more interesting, I don't know I think 1 on 1 are the more interesting ones.

As I remember #1 and #2 matches are 1 on 1 and #3 one is with 3 players.

Matches

Match #1: This match will be a 2 team game where opponents will be selected at random before we begin. Losing this match does not eliminate you from the competition, however victory point totals count towards your guild's final score, whether you win your match or not

Match #2: This match will be a 3 team game. If your team won their 1st match, they will be moved into a winner's bracket where they will face off against other winning teams. If your team lost their 1st match, they will be moved into a separate bracket. As with the previous match, victory point totals still count towards your guild's final score, whether you win or not. If you didn't get a lot of points in the 1st match, this 2nd one is a chance to redeem yourself!

Match #3: This match will be a 4 team game. The winning teams of the winner's and loser's brackets will face off in one final match, while the losing teams of each bracket will also play a 4 team game against one another. This means that 3 matches will be played at the same time, each one with 4 total teams. Again, victory point totals count towards you guild's final score, and since this is the final match to obtain them, make it count!

I like the set number of rounds idea. 

One thing that bothered me about the semi-randomness of Tay's Decree being on the bottom 5 stake cards was that teams could potentially drag out the game to farm more cards/victory points by intentionally not going for stake cards in the Neutral District.

I like the set number of rounds idea. 

One thing that bothered me about the semi-randomness of Tay's Decree being on the bottom 5 stake cards was that teams could potentially drag out the game to farm more cards/victory points by intentionally not going for stake cards in the Neutral District.