Visual Novel Reader to read Moe games

Otakuboy

Alright, well I have tried to read visual novels with machine translations and I just can't do it.

VNR itself isn't a machine translator, it's a text hooker that works quite nicely. So you can use it to read in japanese with assistance, assistance meaning easy copy-paste for kanji you don't know or, if you so choose, MTL.

VNR is much more than just machine TL (machine TL is just one of its many functions), it offers you awesome tools for reading VNs in Japanese such as furigana, single word dictionaries on click giving you list of definitions for a specific kanji. shared dictionary and line interception edits where you can add your terms and character names for easier reading etc. It is still advised to know at least kana (although you can also set furigana as romaji) and some japanese words and mainly grammar (from anime etc) to understand the game, otherwise it is just a machine TL and that will be terrible.

As for community translations, those don't really exist for most VNs, the function is there but VNR as an assist tool it is much better.

This doesn't really bode well for his offer to be a translator on several projects...

Err... Maybe somebody should tell him that random English text coughed up by machine translators often has little to do with the original script? "Reading" VNs like that is one thing, but attempting to join real translation projects... -.-'

Otakuboy, the issue isn't whether or not VNR works, it's whether or not the translations it provides are actually worthwhile. I would not say that VNR consists of the best way to read these games in english like you originally stated. Also, while your enthusiasm is appreciated, if you can't actually fully understand Japanese then you shouldn't be applying for a translator position on translation teams. Using software to translate the language for you is something anyone can do but those translations aren't actually good enough.

VNR is not a machine translator, it's a text hooker with frills.

It can be configured to machine translate from google for example. I use it to get furigana, saves me time looking up kanjis I don't know.

Concerning its capacities, it's basically ITH under the hood, so every game that can be played on ITH can be played under VNR.

Alternatives to VNR are using ITH or agth (very old school) together with translator aggregator. But I prefer running my VNs in full screen and with one application, even if it's a little on the heavy side.

True VNR is good but is buggy and crases alot on startup since end of 2013

I am very sorry if you're the real deal but your understanding of english seems to be poor and the way you talked about VNR combined with how you offered to translate so many games so quickly makes me think you use a machine translator. So let me say it here. If you do not understand Japanese, stop applying to fan translation projects. Stop offering to translate games for people. You are not actually helping anyone.

Anyone can use a machine translator, the people who are working on translating these games are very serious and are not using machine translators, but are manually translating the games by hand using their own knowledge of the language. If you cannot do this, you should not be offering to help. If you truly want to help the scene so badly, actually learn Japanese or some other applicable skill. Help is always appreciated when people who are serious about it offer it.

@Cryofrzd

I'm pretty sure most people here have the basic idea what VNR is. MT concerns are related to what OP said, specifically: "it'll cough up the eng text for you". The only Eng text VNR can cough up, is a machine translated gibberish (or a TL uploaded by someone, but well, let's not delve into that...).

@Decay

Don't be sorry. Even if it's really just a misunderstanding caused by poor English, not being able to properly express himself in this language to THAT extent kinda disqualifies him as a translator in and of itself anyway. :P

@Otakuboy

Could you make yourself a bit more clear? If you are planning to use "English text coughed up by VNR" in your translations in any way - just stop. This not only won't help anyone, but it will actually mess up serious projects. Enthusiasm is a very admirable thing, but when it isn't backed up by any skills, it can be quite harmful...

I just want to pronounce VNR doesn't just have the ability to flush bad English machine translation from google translate over your eroges.

It can be used for fan translation, even though I had to turn those off since they were hideous in quality where they existed.

And it's a good tool for when you reach that state of Japanese proficiency you can bother reading vns. That is when the words you need to look up are few enough to not lose context.