Do you delete VNs from your computer after you finish them?

Zenophilious

Do you delete VNs from your computer after you finish them?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Do you delete VNs from your computer after you finish them?

• Yes, I don't want my HDD getting all cluttered. Screw rereading!
    • Nope, I never delete 'em even if I've completed them 100%. I love them too much to do that to them <3
    • Yes and no. I keep my favorites and delete the rest.
    • Yes and no. I keep a few for rereading on a rainy day, but I'm going to delete them eventually.
    • Technically, no. I move all the VNs I've finished onto an external hard drive because that's just how I roll.

This poll is closed to new votes

THIS IS A SAD DAY

I transferred all my visual novels to another hard drive and 5 no longer work. Those ones include the Muv Luv series, Grisaia and YUNO. UGH! 

The good news is now I have 12gb ram to read them instead of 2gb like in the past.

Well, 2gb of ram is definitely less than preferred, but 12gb is a little overkill. ._. For ram, you should aim for 4gb as a minimum, and 8gb max. Otherwise, you're paying for more than you need. :P

If the VNs were installed on your previous computer, you'll probably need to reinstall them so that they register with the system. Be sure to back up your save files so you don't have to start over from scratch.

• 1 month later...

Yes, "click and play" here most likely means that no installation is required in order to "play" the VN. Just extract the game data if necessary and launch that executable or script to get started.

For example VNs based on the Ren'Py, NScripter or KiriKiri2 (without DRM) engine technically don't need an installation.

Besides, the term "preinstalled" is used for software already installed on an OS when you install it freshly. And even if you meant it literally, it's technically not really correct...

I don't delete any VNs after finishing them. I just can't, as I can't throw away or sell old books I read. Though, if they are of the "click and play" type (and there are a lot as mostly Linux user) I compress them to an .7z archive to save HDD space and have them neatly packed away. Same goes for other data I probably won't touch in years.

Yes, "click and play" here most likely means that no installation is required in order to "play" the VN. Just extract the game data if necessary and launch that executable or script to get started.

For example VNs based on the Ren'Py, NScripter or KiriKiri2 (without DRM) engine technically don't need an installation.

Besides, the term "preinstalled" is used for software already installed on an OS when you install it freshly. And even if you meant it literally, it's technically not really correct...

That was what I meant. Pre-installed.

It was already installed on another OS.

That's what I truly meant.

Aren't the torrents in Fuwanovel like that? I think they are.

Also, that's not entirely true for the NScripter and KiriKiri2. Not sure about the Ren'Py though.

Software you downloaded can never be preinstalled and I highly doubt it's what you meant. For further clarification you can skim the wiki article, it's short but sufficient for that. The fact that most torrents linked on Fuwa don't need an installation just means that the executables of some VNs have been cracked so they can be played/read without DRM restriction or installation.

Guess it was wrong, eh.

I should've just said "installed on another computer" or something.

Dunno if that's any different though.

And I find it funny that it's also called crapware.