[萌え] How to Read Moege - A Comprehensive Guide

astro

But if moege are not for you, then suck it up. You have to learn to walk before you can learn to run. 

I'm definitely in this camp of people... That said for precisely the logic you gave (you have to learn to walk before you can run) I've been looking for some moege's to start reading. My only criticism is that I wish that you could provide a list of moege's that you think are best for beginners. I don't care whether the VN is boring, good or bad, I just want something to help me improve my reading of Japanese.  

I'm definitely in this camp of people... That said for precisely the logic you gave (you have to learn to walk before you can run) I've been looking for some moege's to start reading. My only criticism is that I wish that you could provide a list of moege's that you think are best for beginners. I don't care whether the VN is boring, good or bad, I just want something to help me improve my reading of Japanese.  

If you want my advice I'm currently reading Haruka Kanata and the text is easier than with the charage I tried before. It is unhookable, however - a weird engine or something, ITH just doesn't read it properly - so it's only recommended if you're drawn to the game.

A lot of yuri games have voiced protagonists, so you could start with those.  

Any Sono Hanabira game

Hitori / Futari no Qualia

Lilium x Triangle

I also recommend MeltyMoment & Lover Able. Both are pretty much straight charage.

Nice effort and guide there. It should be a good start for people into moege character stereotypes.

However I beg to differ with your description of tsundere there : "violence" does NOT define tsundere, but just one (minor) trait that some tsundere might have. It should not be categorized as a general tsundere trait. In fact, tsundere that are abusive/beats you up kind is actually a lot rarer than non-abusive ones. They are more common in anime though but definitely less in VN.
I am saying this due to my almost 5 years of playing VN the amount of abusive tsundere can be counted on 1 hand, out of like 60 games (with 90% of them containing at least 1 tsundere)

I think in translated VNs the amount of violent tsundere is pretty high though... the level of violence does change though

Examples off the top of my head are Komomo from Hoshimemo, Lucia from Rewrite, and Reo from sonohana 3 Lookign at my VNDB list, there's Kyou from CLANNAD, Makoto from Kanon (somewhat arguable given that it's mostly tricks, but still she intends to cause bodily harm)...

I think about half the VNs I've read with a tsundere in it have that violent side to be honest.

I don't think it's particularly common either to be honest. In most of the games I play, the protagonist is the tsundere :P

Really depends where you place the line though. Aoko hits you once and knocks you out, but I still wouldn't put her in the body violent tsundere category to be honest. 

Nice effort and guide there. It should be a good start for people into moege character stereotypes.

However I beg to differ with your description of tsundere there : "violence" does NOT define tsundere, but just one (minor) trait that some tsundere might have. It should not be categorized as a general tsundere trait. In fact, tsundere that are abusive/beats you up kind is actually a lot rarer than non-abusive ones. They are more common in anime though but definitely less in VN.

I am saying this due to my almost 5 years of playing VN the amount of abusive tsundere can be counted on 1 hand, out of like 60 games (with 90% of them containing at least 1 tsundere)

"When their embarrassment-meter is at 100%, they will either act cold towards you, or, as stated before, beat you up on the spot."

It's strange what a bit of reading can do for you.

• 4 months later...