Summer 2014 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

lol...wat can i say if they leave that anime as they did with the 'ending' just looking like an ending of an episode not a season ._.

It wouldn't be the first time. So many anime do this.

Look at Sekirei for example.

It ended with a "to be continued" and there's still no 3rd season annoucement after years and years.

Yeah, that's why I try to keep my expectations low for sequels. They can take way too long to happen, and sometimes they may not even be that good.

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm actually kind of glad the last episode of Captain Earth is finally out and I can finally stop watching this. I had a lot of optimism for this anime for most of the series, but it completely let me down towards the end. The characters were still interesting, but their development was really stale. The plot never made any more sense than it did at the beginning, either. Completely wasted potential on what could have been another Eureka Seven. =/ At least the visuals were still top-notch.

Rokujouma's approaching its finale i guess it'll just be some sort of Christmas episode with an open ending and this anime will never be heard from again ;d

still i wonder who's the girl in the first episode,the one who called out to him when he fell in the pit. We still dont know ._.

"Who cares? There's cute girls!" - The anime's staff

Honestly Rokujouma feels very much like that flag anime last season in the sense that it's trying to be so much at once and it just doesn't add up.

There's some initial story of some sort that's just forgotten halfway in.

I like cute girls, but i didn't feel like their different backgrounds fit well together and the story has no purpose whatsoever.

I really think this show was better off not having the complicated background story that makes no sense.

And that is it for Hanayamata

By far my favorite show this season, never failed to disappoint and met all my expectations (if not exceed them).

I'm a sucker for these kinds of SoL and Hanayamata to me captured what I most love about the genre perfectly, not only that but it introduced me to Yosakoi which I found pretty interesting since i've never seen it before.

I'm giving it a 10/10 because I just loved watching it every week and I wish there was more (totally unbiased opinion). All the characters were great in their own way and of course they all were cute, I think one of the biggest appeals for Hanayamata is definintely its artstyle that's so colorful you almost feel like you're inhaling rainbows.

Obviously you shouldn't trust my opinion if you're wondering wether or not the show is worth it for you.

Regardless, really fun show, brought me to tears quite some times and gave me a satisfying ending. Good job.

Gekkan Shoujo's ending was the best ending of this season for me. Even though I've already seen all those scenes from the Manga, the way they edited in there was beautiful. The Anime was definitely a better adaptation than most shows. Chiyo isn't my first (that goes to Seo) but I couldn't help tear up a bit when she recalled her memories with Nozaki. That fireworks scene between the two of them made you wonder like Sakura, truly what was on Nozaki's mind? I love light hearted comedies like this that like to take its romantic moments seriously once in awhile. 

Laugh consistency for me deserved a full score on this one. 

tumblr_nc9xdh3gVM1qfwchqo4_250.gif

tumblr_nc9xdh3gVM1qfwchqo3_250.gif

About the Aldnoah/Zero finale, Urobuchi tweeted that this was NOT what he had planned for the series:

虚淵氏「アルドノアのラストは俺のせいじゃねぇーからっ」「原案ではイナホと姫は恋仲になり姫がスレインに 連れ去られて1話が終わる話だった」

"What happened in the last episode of Aldnoah/Zero isn't my fault. In my original scenario, Inaho would fall in love with the princess and she would then be abducted by Slaine.

So yeah, nice attempt to make the buzz, even though it makes your characters inconsistent. Urobuchi is already not that good at writing characters, apparently Takayama is even less skilled. Or under pressure from the producers. Probably both.

I suppose this has to do with the sales going down while G-reco's pre-sales go up.

After Aldnoah zero, I don't really think that I can accept this ending, but I'm not going to say anymore since it's the author's ending not mine. 

Gekkan Shoujo is just cute and hilarious. It usually calms me down after a dose of A/Z. 

SAO II was fine, and at least I don't think the screwed up Akame ga Kill's adaptation. 

Haven't tried others yet, but I think that's all for my Autumn watch list?

And that is it for Hanayamata

By far my favorite show this season, never failed to disappoint and met all my expectations (if not exceed them).

I'm a sucker for these kinds of SoL and Hanayamata to me captured what I most love about the genre perfectly, not only that but it introduced me to Yosakoi which I found pretty interesting since i've never seen it before.

I'm giving it a 10/10 because I just loved watching it every week and I wish there was more (totally unbiased opinion). All the characters were great in their own way and of course they all were cute, I think one of the biggest appeals for Hanayamata is definintely its artstyle that's so colorful you almost feel like you're inhaling rainbows.

Obviously you shouldn't trust my opinion if you're wondering wether or not the show is worth it for you.

Regardless, really fun show, brought me to tears quite some times and gave me a satisfying ending. Good job.

Thank you so much for telling me to watch it, it became my favorite of the season as well as a 10/10, again, like you, it's my favorite kind of anime, so I'm biased to begin with~ Favorite girl?

Thank you so much for telling me to watch it, it became my favorite of the season as well as a 10/10, again, like you, it's my favorite kind of anime, so I'm biased to begin with~ Favorite girl?

Hard one.. I'm stuck between Naru and Hana honestly. Naru was just so fun to watch develop but Hana was adorable from the beginning as well.

All the characters had their downside moments which was one of the things I liked the most about this show and in the end it was friendship that saved them, that to me is one of the greatest aspects of SoL that I always enjoy watching.

I guess I'd have to go with Naru, I usually don't pick protagonists but Naru's character development was great and I liked her shyness too.

That ending scene in Hanayamata was just absolutely wonderful. I had a hunch this would be good before it aired, and it was actually spot-on this time. XD It's not that often that I consistently enjoy an anime, and what's even more great was that it had so much impact in the end.

Hard one.. I'm stuck between Naru and Hana honestly. Naru was just so fun to watch develop but Hana was adorable from the beginning as well.

All the characters had their downside moments which was one of the things I liked the most about this show and in the end it was friendship that saved them, that to me is one of the greatest aspects of SoL that I always enjoy watching.

I guess I'd have to go with Naru, I usually don't pick protagonists but Naru's character development was great and I liked her shyness too.

They're both at a close tie for me too, but I'll probably have to lean a little more towards Hana. She's incredibly energetic, air-headed, and very motivational. Naru's development was really grand, and that's what pulled her in to a close second. I really liked the rest of the cast too. :3

That's the end of Space Dandy. Need more dandy! I hope there's a movie or Season 3.

A movie doesn't seem suited to the kind of story Space Dandy is, but I'd take another season any day.

Sadly I doubt it'll happen. Bones is probably losing money already on this show, since for some reason otaku don't like series with cool stories and better animation and direction than 95% of the production.

Totally read this and forgot to reply. My favorite was Machi for some reason, something about her character (which I usually dislike) clicked with me, not sure exactly what. Despite liking genki characters, there's a fine line for me before they become annoying, and Hana passed that really early on.

I might be alone in this but Zankyou no Terror completely overthrew Aldnoah.Zero in my favorites for this season.

The entire series felt like it was flowing perfectly, the pacing was just great, the art was gorgeous and the soundtrack didn't lack too far behind either.

And that ending.. wow, what a brilliant ending. It didn't even feel wrong, unlike Aldnoah, it felt like that ending belonged there, it felt like everything was leading up to it and in the end they gave us everything and put in the last piece of the puzzle.

Great show, seriously great show.

I might be alone in this but Zankyou no Terror completely overthrew Aldnoah.Zero in my favorites for this season.

The entire series felt like it was flowing perfectly, the pacing was just great, the art was gorgeous and the soundtrack didn't lack too far behind either.

And that ending.. wow, what a brilliant ending. It didn't even feel wrong, unlike Aldnoah, it felt like that ending belonged there, it felt like everything was leading up to it and in the end they gave us everything and put in the last piece of the puzzle.

Great show, seriously great show.

It wasn't done by the same people as Nagi no Asukara, it was done by the same production studio. That's why I look at staff lists, since production studios don't put out the same staff for every anime, and there tends to be a great variation between them. What made Nagi so great was Okada Mari. She's pretty damn talented when it comes to writing an emotionally compelling storyline (for the most part; she's a bit inconsistent). http://myanimelist.net/people/5978/Okada_Mari

I see, thank you for clearing that up. Interesting list there, thing is, a lot of my favorites are there, and so is the next one I plan to watch. (Gosick)

No problem. :) In a way, production studios are somewhat like fansub groups. You won't always get the same quality release because each group will have various individuals associated with them. In this analogy, we can compare Commie to JC Staff, because they both have a really large number of staff, and have been known to release works that are polar opposites to each other in terms of quality, lol.

That said, I'm kinda glad I decided to skip Glasslip, because I wasn't quite confident with the director they hired. The director was apparently handling the series composition as well, and that tends to lead to either mediocrity or disaster. I probably would have watched it if it had been received well enough, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time around. >.<

Also, if you like Okada's work in anime, you'll definitely like Gosick. It was a pretty grand experience to me.

Now that this season's wrapped up, is there anything I missed that you guys would strongly recommend? Here's a list of what I picked up for Summer.

Free!: Eternal Summer
Zankyou no Terror
Hanayamata
Ao Haru Ride
Barakamon
Sword Art Online II
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!
Akame ga Kill!