Great Hilarity: VN-Themed Anime

Tay

I've recently finished two anime shows which have heavy VN-content and themes: OreImo and Seitokai no Ichizon. I loved them both. Beyond VN-jokes about routes and heroines and tsundere, both shows relentlessly joked about VN culture and players and lifestyles. What made it awesome was how both shows managed to make it clear that they, themselves celebrate visual novels, and that all the jokes are made with love.

Has anybody else seen these shows and enjoyed the VN jokes? Have any recommendations for similar series?

I've recently finished two anime shows which have heavy VN-content and themes: OreImo and Seitokai no Ichizon. I loved them both. Beyond VN-jokes about routes and heroines and tsundere, both shows relentlessly joked about VN culture and players and lifestyles. What made it awesome was how both shows managed to make it clear that they, themselves celebrate visual novels, and that all the jokes are made with love.

Has anybody else seen these shows and enjoyed the VN jokes? Have any recommendations for similar series?

I saw seitokai no ichizon long time ago like first 8 episodes and then my hdd burned and I didnt redownload it yet but it was awesome, some day I need to finish and also watch the s2 xD And yeah the VN jokes were awesome.

I dont recall any other anime that has such parodies as I don't watch much anime, but I can recommend you a game "My girlfriend is the president", it VN that is parody to other VNs, but even to anime, manga, some music and even star wars :) And with that it has awesome story and characters.

It is not on fuwanovel because it is licensed by JAST but if you want it without paying, give me PM on forums and I can direct you to download.

Oh wait, I recall one anime that also has some references to VNs, Lucky Star :) It also has specific references so specific VNs such as Kanon as I recall. But I would say mostly references to anime and haruhi xD

Awesome. Yeah, I watched both on Crunchyroll (ps: If you're interested in sitting down and finishing the series, I can send you guest-pass codes which let you watch for a few days and you can finish them). Both season 1.

I'm totally interested in watching Season 2 of Seitokai, but I don't know where to watch it! It's not on Crunchyroll. Is it being streamed, or is it fan translated?

• 2 months later...

Well If you didn't see it yet, Lucky Star has references about everything an otaku could dream of, including eroge. (AND it's freakin' awesome! I suspect you might have already seen it though, it's a classic)

Hm, the protagonist of The World God Only Knows is a dating sim player of legend too.

Well If you didn't see it yet, Lucky Star has references about everything an otaku could dream of, including eroge. (AND it's freakin' awesome! I suspect you might have already seen it though, it's a classic)

Hm, the protagonist of The World God Only Knows is a dating sim player of legend too.

Lucky Star should be on the TOP of everyone's need-to-see anime list.

If you haven't seen this great anime you are seriously missing out. GO GET IT RIGHT NOW.

if you need links to download, let me know.

What are you waiting for... GO NOW.

YES! +2

I think you'd like TWGOK, Tay. Lots of VN references here and there with romance sprinkled in and a dash of comedy.

Yes! I watched it. It was literally the first time in my life where a character (Elsie) had that infectious cute quality people are always talking about in these forums. Love her!

Are there any plans by big players to stream season 3? (Isn't season 3 going on right now?) I loved the first two seasons on CR, and would LOVE to keep watching.

Yes! I watched it. It was literally the first time in my life where a character (Elsie) had that infectious cute quality people are always talking about in these forums. Love her!

Are there any plans by big players to stream season 3? (Isn't season 3 going on right now?) I loved the first two seasons on CR, and would LOVE to keep watching.

Did you already watch the Tenri Arc?

The one that came out recently was an OVA for Tenri's arc (from the manga). Season 3 has been announced but there's no confirmed air date afaik. But when it is announced I'm pretty sure CR will pick it up like they did with the other seasons.

The one that came out recently was an OVA for Tenri's arc (from the manga). Season 3 has been announced but there's no confirmed air date afaik. But when it is announced I'm pretty sure CR will pick it up like they did with the other seasons.

I'll have to look around sites like Baka BT or nyaa to find that one. I'd love to see more of this show. : )

I'll have to look around sites like Baka BT or nyaa to find that one. I'd love to see more of this show. : )

Indeed, it's a unique show worth watching. I only wish that season 3 and after would be 2+ cours long. They have so much of the source material to work with!

You should check out the manga if you haven't already. The anime does a good job at remaining faithful to the source so you can skip the first couple volumes. The most I can say without spoiling it is that once you get to a certain point in the manga, the plot thickens escalates very quickly.

Indeed, it's a unique show worth watching. I only wish that season 3 and after would be 2+ cours long. They have so much of the source material to work with!

You should check out the manga if you haven't already. The anime does a good job at remaining faithful to the source so you can skip the first couple volumes. The most I can say without spoiling it is that once you get to a certain point in the manga, the plot thickens escalates very quickly.

@anime:

http://tokyotosho.info/search.php?terms=tenri&type=1&size_min=&size_max=&username= (main "eng translated anime" category)

or

http://tokyotosho.info/search.php?terms=tenri&type=11&size_min=&size_max=&username= (batch)

@manga: http://redhawkscans.com is doing them weekly anyways

The fact that I don't see The World God Only Knows here makes me want to cry.

B-but I mentioned it :mellow:

I only watched season 1 though, I'll have to get myself S2 and Tenri Arc, then maybe pick up the manga because it was a rather good series.

Kami nomi made me remember old days, the felling of fantasy while you're watching and incredible soundtrack with orchestra

(nowdays most soundtracks are just eletronic music). Imo was the best romance (no drama) after ichigo 100% to me(2005).

Animations not mentioned:

Koe de Oshigoto

Genshiken

NHK ni Yokoso!

But now, a better parody/comedy than Seitokai no Ichizon impossible imo though