Is Sharin no Kuni: Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo worth a read?

Sealsa

I recently finished the original game, the 2nd game caught my eyes but i'm trying to decide between clannad and the sequel. Any thoughts? Is it worth a read?

same here, I didn't play the fandisc yet but a friend told me that Hozuki chapter is worth playing and contains some of the best moments of the game, I will read it soon.

It's not too long, and it has Houzuki's backstory. That alone makes it worth a read. It also has fanservice routes for each of the heroines which aren't bad, as long as you don't expect much more than fanservice. IIRC Houzuki's route was translated properly while the rest of the fandisk was machine TL'd.

I read the continuation of the heroine's routes b/c I wanted to find out what happens to them afterwards.. it was pretty average but enjoyable. As expected of side-stories though. I think it's worth picking up but it'll be pretty boring at times. :3

There is also Houzuki's backstory if you're curious about the guy's past and how he turned out that way losing all emotion.

You shouldn't judge a visual novel by VNDB's rating system; people tend to horribly overrate anything they find "good" within their own opinion. I tend to avoid fandisks like fire; they are typically what it says on the tin - fandisks. I have yet to find a single one, that actually brings something more except the plain fanservice with a bunch of fluff and cutesy to cater to the fans of the game.

Perhaps it's because I personally didn't found Sharin no Kuni as good, as people used to say; Even though the dystopian setting was really interesting and had a lot of promise, the story seemed to drift way too much from the important aspects, plot twists were poor and everything ended up in a typical galge clusterfuck. It just strenghted my own opinion that visual novels tend to be an incredibly subjective matter, just like animu and mango are.

You shouldn't judge a visual novel by VNDB's rating system; people tend to horribly overrate anything they find "good" within their own opinion.

Fun fact: nearly 9000 of VNDB's 14000 games rate between 7 and 6. Only around 550 games are 7 or more. Around 500 of those are rated 8 to 7, and you can guarantee that around 80% of those are total crap. VNDB's ratings are really limited and kind of inconsistent. The only real benchmark is that if it's 8 or more, it probably doesn't outright suck, but there are exceptions (sengoku rance, monmusu quest, among others). I think SnK is overrated as well, but it does have its merits and I didn't regret reading it.