~What a beautiful...~ series

Hey folks, I feel like reading Shikkoku no Sharnoth again and started wondering about the other titles in the WAB series. I've also put Inganock on my to-read list but I understand there are two more?  Are any of them actually related to each other? If so, should I be reading them in a certain order? ^_^

I only read Gahkthun. I understood its plot without having played the other ones, although I did take note of what appeared to be minor references to events in previous games (New York?).

If the rest of the games in the series are like Gahkthun, then this is sort of a hit or miss franchise. There are things I liked about Gahkthun, and things that kinda made me shake my head and left me disappointed and/or wanting more. Overall it's still fairly unique and the soundtrack is Fabulous with a capital F. But definitely keep in mind it can be sort of an acquired taste, so to speak.

A longer while ago, Hikaru Sakurai mentioned she and Liar-Soft are both interested in bringing the WAB series to the west. Haven't heard any progress related news about it yet, though.

There's no particular order in reading, though there's some sort of a chronological order within the series. I'd still recommend reading Inganock before Sharnoth, as it gives a lot of insight on the general world setting, techonology and certain aspects Hikaru meddles with in her stories, making everything easier to understand.

A longer while ago, Hikaru Sakurai mentioned she and Liar-Soft are both interested in bringing the WAB series to the west. Haven't heard any progress related news about it yet, though.

Most likely the deals have already been made and  MangaGamer will be localizing them, if the hints they've dropped are any indication.

MangaGamer is the last thing I'd like to see localising WAB series, If I am to be honest. They should stick to their cheap nukige.

Do you have any source on that, though?

Well their biggest hint was from this blog post a couple months ago: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2014/02/26/look-forward-to-2014/#more-6713 "That says nothing about what negotiations are currently underway with a few different companies, including one big name we’re discussing title selection with. What a beautiful year to come." I find it very hard to believe that them using that turn of phrase was a coincidence.

MG has gotten better over the years. Plus, it seems somewhat likely that koestle, famous from the great Grisaia translation, is leading the WAB translations, judging from his own words.

I only read Gahkthun. I understood its plot without having played the other ones, although I did take note of what appeared to be minor references to events in previous games (New York?).

If the rest of the games in the series are like Gahkthun, then this is sort of a hit or miss franchise. There are things I liked about Gahkthun, and things that kinda made me shake my head and left me disappointed and/or wanting more. Overall it's still fairly unique and the soundtrack is Fabulous with a capital F. But definitely keep in mind it can be sort of an acquired taste, so to speak.

Pretty much this. The WAB series is really different and pretty much seperated from everything else in terms of eroge. I really liked Gahkthun but I can kinda see why it wouldnt hit alot of people. It's a very fairytale-esque type of thing.

Thanks for the replies folks. Iirc, Sharnoth was the first VN I read and I really did enjoy it. Everything from the music to the story and especially the art was just gorgeous, not to mention Mary is one of my favourite MCs and I'm a fan of period style Britain so the setting was really nice too. I know the games are all set in their own worlds but if the stories are as good as Sharnoth I'm sure I'll like them too.  

I know the games are all set in their own worlds[...] 

They aren't. It's the same exact world setting. You could call it an alternate steampunk reality. Each of the stories takes place in a different part of the world, though. They tend to discuss different things, but all share certain aspects.

The WAB-series are really unique. I wish there was more, but at the same time I guess its good there is not.

They aren't. It's the same exact world setting. You could call it an alternate steampunk reality. Each of the stories takes place in a different part of the world, though. They tend to discuss different things, but all share certain aspects.

..and they're all Lovecraftian as fuck.  ^_^

They are. The "lovecraftian" aspect you're talking about actually relates to the distinct way Hikaru tends to monstrify the "evil", which is in fact always connected with darker side of human soul. Real monsters do not exist; it's humans who are monsters themselves, creating even more monstrosities, which in the end always tend to backfire and bring an end to everything we love and hold dear.

It's also a way of asking questions and seeking answers towards everything unknown and unclear; it's both terrifying and fascinating.

Although not without it's own issues, WAB series are definately on of the very best and most entertaining visual novels I've ever read. They might not be to everyone's tastes, but those who love unusual, strange fantasy/dystopian settings, as well as fans of steampunk genre should definately read them.