Hearthstone

Kaguya

The thing is, when you have a warsong commander and some other compatible cards along with grim patrons on board, there are so many different ways you can play that turn, possibly dozens. And you have to work through all of them trying to find the most damage. When do I use my weapon? How many grim patrons do I sacrifice? When do I play my dread corsairs, what do I attack with them? When do I whirlwind? etc, etc. 

http://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc/v/6139003?t=1h44m25s

URL should be time stamped but just in case, the match I mentioned starts at 1:44:25. The analyzing starts at 2:02:13 (and yes, doing nothing at the start was probably the right play, armor can get in the way of enabling battle rage) 

That's an awfully reductive way of looking at things.

I'm pretty sure the people who were saying he missed lethal at first were actually kind of wrong, because the paths they lead him down at first were incorrect. It took a while for someone with the correct answer to chime up. And I also never said it was impossible to find it on the fly. It's not possible to calculate every single possibility, but it's possible to find the one correct play fast enough to execute it for the win. Either way, it's glaringly obvious that a whole lot of mental math and quick thinking was necessary. The deck needs quick thinking for most games you play with it. I am usually a fairly fast player but I couldn't tell you how many times I roped in the couple dozen games I've played with the grim patron deck.

And it's ironic, since this deck is fairly light on your wallet. 

The audio works fine for me on twitch, strange.

And it requires buying about $25 or 3500 gold of single player content, 4 wings of naxx and 1 wing of blackrock mountain. That's a reasonably light investment when you consider how expensive many other decks are. Any deck with more than one legendary is probably a more substantial investment. 

The only maths you need to consider in Hearthstone is your bank account though, not very difficult.

Not really as it requires buying Blackrock for a start.

I know it's fun to be derisive of HS due to the low skill floor and its pay model, but there are indeed nuances when considering what line of play you make, the probability of them having drawn certain cards, and sometimes even calculating lethal. The game is designed to be accessible, not mindless.

As for the question of the deck being cheap, it definitely is. If you even choose to use cash in the first place, it's just $25 bucks to unlock the parts of both adventures you need. If you want to play a top-tier, competitive deck in other tcg, you're looking to spend a lot more than that. It's dirt cheap, relatively speaking.

I don't understand what you want. For the game to give you all cards for free? It's reasonably priced compared to other collectable card games and personally, I've yet to spend a dime on it but have a pretty big collection. Any game where it's possible to do that is okay in my book. 

So, 2.7 is live.

Looks like Tavern Brawl starts Wednesday and we've got 3 new hero portraits: Magni, Alleria, and Medivh.

To shamelessly steal a quote from reddit, now I don't have to worry about hunters anymore. Pretty women never go for my face.  :Kappa:

While I do think that hearthstone is a pretty lame card game, it's definitely cheaper (though worse in gameplay for sure) than mtg. It's more accessible and easier to learn as well. A more cerebral deck such as that warrior would actually be interesting to play maybe. Nothing like manaless dredge, buuut it seems fun.

Mad props to the guy who made that joke!

While I do think that hearthstone is a pretty lame card game, it's definitely cheaper (though worse in gameplay for sure) than mtg. It's more accessible and easier to learn as well. A more cerebral deck such as that warrior would actually be interesting to play maybe. Nothing like manaless dredge, buuut it seems fun.

>starts playing mtg

>becomes a snob

:scottsune:

Good job.

Now you never have to hit legend again cause the reward system in this game is lackluster.

My thoughts exactly. Never doing this again. Totally not worth the 400~500 games it took me, and my win rate was still pretty high (I went on a spree from 3 to legend that took about 1 hour with only 1 loss, must have been pretty lucky).

congrats on legend. Playing tempo or freeze?

Tempo, though I only started using it at rank 3 when I got stuck (there was a point before that when I fell from rank 1 to 4... and it was ridiculously frustrating). 

That fall aside, my climb was done with Combo Druid (Rank 17 to 7), Murlocs (7-4, doubled the size of my friendlist), Zoolock (4-1 and back to 3) and then Tempo Mage (3 to Legend).  

Just drafted this in Arena today:

iMujOW8.png

http://www.heartharena.com/arena-run/6842p2

I've posted about my Arena downturn recently. Almost right after bragging in this thread about doing super well my win-loss record divebombed and I was averaging less than 5 wins a run for the last 30 days, which is very low for me. This deck is kind of nuts, though. It can grab the board in the early game, has good removal options, and its late game staying power is absurd. I'm hoping to break out of my funk with a 12 win run, although now that I posted this I'm sure I'll crash and burn. I'm currently 3-0 with it. 

edit: 6-0. This deck is very versatile, I like it a lot. Wish my luck on the next six. :)

It worked out because I needed two drops badly and they can also trade up.

8-1 now, Chromaggus has drawn me double eviscerate two of the three times I've played it.  :makina:

edit: Also I've come to appreciate just how good Patient Assassin's play quote is. His chuckle gets me every time. http://www.hearthhead.com/card=1133/patient-assassin edit 2: ahaha, and that death quote, too. Holy crap. I love Hearthstone's sound design so much.

Final update: 8-3. Well, that's incredibly disappointing. I guess it's better than my current average so I should feel good about that, but it's still 4 less wins than this deck is capable of.