Hearthstone

Kaguya

I loved that reynad vs lifecoach match because lifecoach of course spent so much time thinking, and the commentators spent so much time analyzing every possible play, heavily debating reynad's chance of winning with his overly cautious plays, lifecoach's risky play into mirror entity, and then unstable portal was played and literally everything talked about for the last five minutes was thrown out the window. 

I'm not sad reynad lost. He made some really bad plays throughout the tournament and got by on luck. Eventually his luck ran out.

I loved that reynad vs lifecoach match because lifecoach of course spent so much time thinking, and the commentators spent so much time analyzing every possible play, heavily debating reynad's chance of winning with his overly cautious plays, lifecoach's risky play into mirror entity, and then unstable portal was played and literally everything talked about for the last five minutes was thrown out the window. 

I'm not sad reynad lost. He made some really bad plays throughout the tournament and got by on luck. Eventually his luck ran out.

The commentators probably get together before Lifecoach plays and make a list of things to talk about since he ropes nearly every turn, heh. But yeah that was pretty funny. Overall a fun tournament to watch.

Really though, I'm sad reynad lost, he got some pretty unfortunate draws in the finals. Oh well.

He had his fair share of good RNG plus a number of misplays, so I'm relatively glad Phonetap won. Plus, it's nice to see someone win who's not already a visibly established HS personality/player.

Get hyped for a new ~menu button~

hearthstone-new-button.gif

It's notable because it is almost certainly going to be a new play mode. Also China's hearthstone company teased that new heroes wouldn't be the biggest addition in the next update. I'm thinking we'll get maybe a tournament mode you buy into with arena-style rewards for doing well.

Maybe they'll do constructed arena. Pick a constructed deck, and fight to get up to 12 wins with it. Or maybe they'll do a new draft mode! A mode closer to MTG's draft mode would be pretty neat, but that involves a time commitment between many players and that's probably not something Blizzard wants to do.

edit: MTG's draft mode is that eight players open a booster pack each, pick a card, pass the rest of the pack to the left in a circle until all the cards are picked, repeat for multiple packs until full decks are made. Then they compete in a randomly seeded tournament. It would have to be modified a bit to fit Hearthstone (5 card packs wouldn't do) but you get the idea.

Maybe they'll do constructed arena. Pick a constructed deck, and fight to get up to 12 wins with it. Or maybe they'll do a new draft mode! A mode closer to MTG's draft mode would be pretty neat, but that involves a time commitment between many players and that's probably not something Blizzard wants to do.

edit: MTG's draft mode is that eight players open a booster pack each, pick a card, pass the rest of the pack to the left in a circle until all the cards are picked, repeat for multiple packs until full decks are made. Then they compete in a randomly seeded tournament. It would have to be modified a bit to fit Hearthstone (5 card packs wouldn't do) but you get the idea.

Yeah, the constructed arena thingy iffs me. The nice thing about arena is the random decks, my main problem with hearthstone is that I get bored to no end after 2 or 3 constructed matches and don't wanna play it anymore (and that I take all of my arena money and whimsically buy packs).

MTG's draft mode would be fairly interesting. 

I'm personally hoping its a statistics tracker of some sort. Granted I'd love a new play mode such as Nozdormu mode or 2v2, but I'm more interested to see how my match history is, matchups I usually win/lose, etc. Would be cool.

If you're not already aware of it, look up hearthtracker, It's a program that'll keep track of your stats for each deck plus your overall stats, as well as having an option to automatically count cards for you.

I'm personally hoping its a statistics tracker of some sort. Granted I'd love a new play mode such as Nozdormu mode or 2v2, but I'm more interested to see how my match history is, matchups I usually win/lose, etc. Would be cool.

A stat tracker is not something they'd put in that spot on the UI. Those main spots are pretty much reserved for game modes only. 

I'd love to have the mode in-game anyway. 

Having to open up another program whenever I decide to play hearthstone... yada yada. I'm way too lazy for that. 

Yeah, same. I lasted all of about a week using it.

I enjoyed the card tracker feature, but it can make you (more) lazy and develop the bad habit of not tracking what's been played in your head.

...Hearthstone is fun.

Just so you know, I was playing anti-aggro druid and he was playing a more aggro zoolock... Lol. 

I accept everyone in adds me, in hopes of enjoying this kind of abuse.

On my 500th win as a wallet warrior, I had a shaman add me and call me a pay-to-win faggot.

It felt appropriate.

I think my monkey brain is too slow for grim patron warrior. My win record with it is pretty decent but every single match is mentally exhausting. What a crazy freaking deck.

At first I was surprised because you don't see too many people on the ladder run it. The deck actually dominates almost all matchups. It's so incredibly OP it's actually kind of ridiculous. It also has a somewhat low barrier to entry. 4 Naxx wings and 1 BRM wing, and a few hundred dust. But then I actually tried playing it and yeah, it is pretty much the most difficult deck to actually play correctly in the history of hearthstone. Maybe second to or tied with freeze mage? The math you must do on the fly is pretty intense and the strategy is often very nuanced with a lot of ways to play wrong.

edit: Trump missed lethal in his stream today playing patron warrior. He took a screenshot of the board state and together with his chat of thousands, stared at that screenshot and group thinked out the turn over and over again. Taking in ideas from the many people in his chat, it took them collectively an hour to find lethal. An hour. Grim Patron Warrior in a nutshell.

That's combo decks in a netshell, though grim patron involves * a lot* more counting than Miracle did since the damage you could deal with miracle was/is set in stone.

I'd say patron is more difficult than freeze mage, though I've got a lot more experience with freeze mage than patron. I would say the three most difficult decks to play in Hearthstone are Patron, Freeze, and Oil IMO. I need to give patron a shot, as control warrior is getting a little stale atm.

As for taking an hour to find lethal, that seems almost unbelievably crazy.