[Completed] State of the Union- Winter 2013 (Summary)

Tay

Hello Everybody,

Two weeks ago I held a little shindig on Skype to outline site priorities and projects, as well as take questions from site members about Fuwanovel’s future.  It was a little unusual, but it was a blast to get together.  Thanks to everybody who participated.  Shortly after that little meet-up, I got very sick, and then many problems arose in my graduate school applications as well as in my university.  It’s taken me a long time to get back on my feet, so as always, thanks for being patient with me (especially when you send me PMs and I don’t get back to you very quickly -- I promise I’m not ignoring them!) (well… except for Steve’s D&D PM.  Totally ignoring that one ;)).  

I’ll be available intermittently until December 18th, and back full-time thereafter.

This post is meant to convey the gist and information I shared in the Skype call.  Let me know if you have questions.  

Tay’s State of the Union – Winter 2013
The main purpose of this post is to explain how Fuwanovel will function while I’m filling in for Aaeru. I don’t know how I’ll be doing so, but I suspect it’ll go on for sufficient time that it makes sense for me to lay out a road map.  The projects/goals listed below are meant as global to-dos over the next few months (read: not a sprint. We shouldn’t kill ourselves to take care of these items ASAP – it’s important to keep balance and enjoy the holidays/time off of school/etc.)

First, a review of our major projects/products.  There are five core projects associated with Fuwanovel, and I added a sixth during the skype call:
  1. Games and game uploads
  2. Front site
  3. Forums
  4. Visual Novel Aer blog
  5. Social Media
  6. (NEW) Introduction to Visual Novels Kit

In the call I assigned a “project head” to each project: someone who has been involved with the project for a while and who will be responsible for: overseeing the project’s progress, providing updates on the Fuwanovel Improvement Board, posting ways members can help with their project on the Improvement Board, and recruiting people to help them.

I also laid out a road map for each of the projects.  All of this new information is displayed below:

Games and Game Uploads
Project Head: Kendjin
Road Map:
  1. Organize seedbox (no small matter)
  2. Update old torrents (especially those with the old piracy video, or which need new patches)
  3. Brainstorm a good system by which people can suggest new games, and look into ways that members could help upload them
  4. Prioritize games which should be added next, and add them

Front Site
Project Head: Nayleen
Road Map:
  1. We have lots of proposed changes.  Nayleen and Tay need to powwow and make priorities

Visual Novel Aer Blog
Project Head: Tay
Road Map:
  1. Lots of proposed work, but Tay needs to talk with Aaeru first

Forums
Project Head: Forums Staff (moderators)
Road Map: (largely keep on carrying on)
  1. Continuing to moderate
  2. Discussion of specific issues to be handled on staff forums 
  3. Do a board-wide cleanup (each section needs to be combed for topic moves, general cleanup, merges, unanswered questions, etc.)

Social Media
Twitter -> We don’t have access right now.
Facebook
Project Head: Naomi
Road Map:
  1. We’ve seen a lot of success.  Good job to everybody involved and thank you for working so hard.  We’ve over 6,500 likes! We have almost hit 7000 likes!
  2. Naomi has come up with a plan to increase facebook likes.  She’s still ironing out some details, but part of the Facebook Project Head job will be to itemize all the to-dos, and seek out help for making them happen. Share the workload!

New Project: The Introduction to Visual Novels Kit
Project Head: Tay
We’re going to develop a product that you can download, put on a DVD or thumb drive, and hand to a friend. We’ll make an all-ages version, and one with some 18+ content. It will contain: 
  • A PDF Introduction to Visual novels 
  • 3 VNs of different types which are good intro VNs (Planetarian, Katawa Shoujo, Clannad, etc.) 
  • A Fuwanovel Memory book – a second document where people write why they like VNs, how VNs have helped them in life, their favorite games, etc. 

PDF Introduction to Visual novels
  • Explain the genre 
  • Introduce the 3 games (what they’re like, their characters, plot, etc. -- help them decide on which to play first)
  • Game walkthroughs for each of the 3 games (for those concerned: we'll include a note about the philosophical qualms some have with walkthroughs ;) worry not) 
  • Recommendations for each type of game ("If you like Fate/Stay Night, you should try...")
  • Explain concepts like Japanese Locale, patching, the translation process, different categories of VNs, Japanese Vocab (senpai!)
  • Tell where people can find VNs – where buy legally and where obtain non-licensed games
  • Not JUST a Fuwanovel product, though we’ll clearly be associated 

Thus, there will be three sub-projects to making this happen: 
  1. Intro to VNs PDF 
  2. Fuwanovel Memory Book PDF 
  3. Choosing the 3 games 
All of this will need to fit on a thumb drive and/or DVD for easily spreading the Gospel. 

The VN community at large can be toxic and sick. Fuwanovel’s different. We’re friendly, and approachable. We are the perfect place to introduce people to VNs.   If we do a good job, make a great product, and can spread it well, I believe this is something that will long-outlive Fuwanovel and make a huge difference in bolstering VN sharing.

Lastly, Thanks.*
(*Taken from my speech notes)
Everybody who made it out for the Skype chat, thank you. 

Beato, Down, Demon Lord Harry Kinomoto, ilegend, Kendjin, Luch, Meru, RETransInternational, Steve, zhurai – for being amazing friends and staff-mates, for tirelessly working on the forums, and for all the good memories. 

Kaguya for being amazing at special projects for the last forever. Every PM I get from him is helpful. Thank you so much. 

Walkthroughs: Nosebleed, Stanleys, Flutterz, Mevvrynne, Ryechu, Skeith, Steve, Inspiring! 

Naomi and Nayleen, for putting in so much time.

Aaeru for starting it all. 

Batman and Ryoji for being my partners during difficult periods unrivaled. 

And, honestly, everybody unmentioned and mentioned, again, for being a part of this with me.  I came to Fuwanovel because of the vision of making a new, safe haven for  VN players. I ended up realizing that that’s not something we can ever do in the finished sense: we do it every day by being friendly, choosing to respect each other, and making a welcoming community. You’re all doing a good job of it, and frankly there are times you inspire me. 

So, there you go.  A relic for Fuwanovel history buffs.  Thanks for taking the time to read.  If you have questions, let me know.  Have a great week, everybody.  For the  many students out there -- hang in there!  Finals will be over soon, and then you can finally start working on that back log of yours ;).