Has anyone else tried to get into writing?

Zodai

Has anyone else tried to get into writing?

I myself think I've grown somewhat proficient at this point - despite the fact that I am still unpublished and have yet to solve the frustrating dilemma known as procrastination.

What are everyone else's experiences here?  Would we happen to have any published authors on Fuwanovel?

Good thread idea!  We've got lots of talented writers on the forums.  It'll be fun to see what people have done.

I've gotten some poems and fiction published, taught some creative writing classes, and produced lots of fun writing-intensive projects like visual novels. I even published my own student magazine for a while.

I enjoy technical writing, but I've never done much with it.

Wow!  Lots of quick replies here xD

I have a quick excerpt of a story I was thinking up on DeviantArt, so if you want a sample of my writing it's right here~

http://zodai.deviantart.com/art/Beyond-Insanity-406227455

These are the two places I use most for advice...

www.writingexcuses.com

http://davidfarland.net/

As for some quick tips...

-Chances are you have some really big idea in mind.  Put it on hold and think up something smaller for now, you probably aren't experienced enough to write it as a first project.

-The best way to get better is to WRITE.

If you have anything else to ask, I'll answer the best I can!  :3

I never seriously wrote anything on the forums, but I do have a few publications here on Brazil (Not really books. I have some articles on some literacy journals and some poetry as well)  Also won a few literary contests, though my prizes are mostly on poetry and short stories. There's the problem with vocabulary, though. Having 3/4 of the words you know suddenly taken away from you makes writing a bit more challenging.

-The best way to get better is to WRITE.

Also, if you're a total newbie to writing and want a hint, I personally disagree with Zodai.

That hint works fine if you already have some knowledge of literacy, but the best way to get better when you're a total newbie is reading. No matter how much you try, if you don't have an idea on how people make stories, character development, etc. You're pretty much screwed with writing. I say this because in my country, most of the population doesn't read, even the writers. And when the time comes for they to write something, they're pretty much screwed.

Writing is good, but unless you know how to do it properly you'll just repeat the same mistakes over and over. If you're having trouble with writing, leave what you're doing for later, get good books of the same genre of what you're writing and read them. Obviously, you can't copy their idea, but reading a few masterpieces of the same kind of story you're writing is usually enough to fill you with inspiration.

PS: Zodai's hint is not wrong. If you already have the know-how's of writing, I'd say keep writing is the best you could do. Just, as explained, I don't think that's the best for complete newbies.

I got some criticism from Naomi for not formatting dialogue properly in English, but I made an effort trying to translate one of my short stories (it's about thrice that long in German, yet still unfinished - it's also part of a bigger group of interconnected stories) for him to read:

I've got a lot more of similar work (most of it being poems, but some fiction and a metric shitton of RP) and even had a deviantART profile back in the day, but not anymore. My problems with focusing for longer periods at a time make it hard for me to complete anything of the sort.

That said, I'd probably never try to get seriously into writing as I'm trying to learn and focus enough on a project to get me into game development - silly dream, but it stands.

One my dreams is to become a published writer. Poetry is great fun, but I'd love to finish a novel and put it out there for everyone to read. 

I have an idea for a two-book series based on what started as (and technically still is) a "Persona" fanfiction. I'm hoping to do Literature in college and pursue my dream. :) I just love English so much. 

As for what I actually HAVE done, I'm writing two fanfictions right now; but finding it hard to get any sort of schedule made; or even any considerable amount of work done within a reasonable time. I'm doing pretty well in English in school, at least. :/

I'd love to write for a webzine where I could just give my opinion/review of given topics as well.

One my dreams is to become a published writer. Poetry is great fun, but I'd love to finish a novel and put it out there for everyone to read. 

I have an idea for a two-book series based on what started as (and technically still is) a "Persona" fanfiction. I'm hoping to do Literature in college and pursue my dream. :) I just love English so much. 

As for what I actually HAVE done, I'm writing two fanfictions right now; but finding it hard to get any sort of schedule made; or even any considerable amount of work done within a reasonable time. I'm doing pretty well in English in school, at least. :/

I'd love to write for a webzine where I could just give my opinion/review of given topics as well.

They say every modern writer begins with fanfiction

XD

Uhm i can't say i have any particular skills when it comes to writing. Becoming an actual writer is out of the question obviously for me.

I like practicing my english by writing reviews on certain anime or essays for my english classes but that's just for self improvement really. I've always hoped i could become an actual translator in the future.

Please teach me the ways of the pen/pencil/keyboard/quill 

Uhm i can't say i have any particular skills when it comes to writing. Becoming an actual writer is out of the question obviously for me.

I like practicing my english by writing reviews on certain anime or essays for my english classes but that's just for self improvement really. I hoped i could become an actual translator in the future.

Please teach me the ways of the pen/pencil/keyboard/quill 

I assume that English isn't your first language?

I'm going to go with Kaguya's tip and say that getting a grasp of some good literature might be good as well.

http://davidfarland.net/writing_tips/

Like I said, lots of writing articles here, and they're all English text, so you can get something from there as well.

If you want one a straight up book to read; here's a link to one of his works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product?bhv=027&deviceType=A3C2X3KG4GJCOD&dpi=72&eid=FwtcV2EmL1EVFjdNDBYKLkJKAwpYJxILLVMQFx9GLgE4EB5JNioVJFEfIA%3D%3D&force-full-site=1&h=1440&node=133141011&osv=15&storefront-context=all&w=2560&ASIN=B006P7SEBY

It might help if you're still trying to learn the language :3

Indeed english is not my first language but I'm not still learning it, it's been years since I've learned english (12 to be precise). By practice I meant evolve my writing to a more academic level. Especially when I write reviews I like to keep consistency and fluency, not be repetitive and of course keep my objectivity by going straight to the point. But after I write something and re-read it I always find flaws and that's why I practice. Sadly some flaws include basic grammar mistakes, either because I got distracted or my brain just wasn't functioning, either way this is what my writing practice is for. I always enjoy reading articles people post around here although I often can't contribute to the discussion. My shut-in self is too uneducated. 

But those writing tips seem interesting I'm going to scroll through them just for the fun. If fanfics are a way to become a writer then whenever feel motivated I will hit the keyboard and write one to show you all.

Indeed english is not my first language but I'm not still learning it, it's been years since I've learned english (12 to be precise). By practice I meant evolve my writing to a more academic level. Especially when I write reviews I like to keep consistency and fluency, not be repetitive and of course keep my objectivity by going straight to the point. But after I write something and re-read it I always find flaws and that's why I practice. Sadly some flaws include basic grammar mistakes, either because I got distracted or my brain just wasn't functioning, either way this is what my writing practice is for. I always enjoy reading articles people post around here although I often can't contribute to the discussion. My shut-in self is too uneducated. 

But those writing tips seem interesting I'm going to scroll through them just for the fun. If fanfics are a way to become a writer then whenever feel motivated I will hit the keyboard and write one to show you all.

I'll be looking forward to it~

:3

The only writing I've been doing recently are economic reports and theories...such a bright life.

Economics and economic theories can be pretty interesting, particularly when mixed with with political theories. 

On topic: Writing is one of those things nearly everyone wants to do, but few have the actual patience and self discipline to do. As for me, I really like fiction and literature, yet ironically I prefer to write non fiction. 

Well, if you're looking to get published - most of the time it's better to learn the language yourself xD

I don't think many people here want to get published, though. You can also force the editor to work, kill him after he finishes and never mention that you hired an editor to anyone.

But obviously, if you're going pro you should blackmail the highest amount of people possible learn the language yourself and control everyone's minds so that they buy your books do it fair and square~

I don't think many people here want to get published, though. You can also force the editor to work, kill him after he finishes and never mention that you hired an editor to anyone.

But obviously, if you're going pro you should blackmail the highest amount of people possible learn the language yourself and control everyone's minds so that they buy your books do it fair and square~

Of course, if you're trying to tell your publisher you can consistently write good books then it wouldn't quite work to kill the editor.  Indeed, learning the language is often the best solution.

In all honesty, I think I could at least be an average writer if not for three major hurdles. The first, as you mentioned before, is procrastination. I am an expert at putting things off and forgetting about them completely. The second is my ability to keep on task. I will be in the middle of something, then real quick, another thing will pop into my head, and before I know it, 15 minutes have passed with me thinking about something that has nothing to do with anything and I forgot whatever it was I was thinking about before that. In fact, I got off topic twice just trying to type that sentence. And lastly, I'm not very good at writing out details. I'm perfectly fine with drawing out a setting, a decent plot, and character personalities, but when it comes to placing fine details to those things, I draw a big fat blank.

These are the two places I use most for advice...

www.writingexcuses.com

http://davidfarland.net/

I use David Farland and Holly Lisle http://hollylisle.com/my-articles/

I've been trying to write a novel for 10 years or so, but I keep getting distracted and losing motivation. My current plan (which I've just concocted and is undeniably brilliant) is to write a bunch of short stories and work my way up.

I use David Farland and Holly Lisle http://hollylisle.com/my-articles/

I've been trying to write a novel for 10 years or so, but I keep getting distracted and losing motivation. My current plan (which I've just concocted and is undeniably brilliant) is to write a bunch of short stories and work my way up.

Hope it works out.  I'm only 18 myself XD