50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

I haven't read them all... but I've read most of them.  Exceptions are Katahane, Symphonic Rain, Never 7, Dysfunctional Systems, and Deardrops.  With all of those it was a lack of interest, more than anything else.  That goes especially for Never 7 (as the only game in that series I actually enjoyed was Ever17).

I have read through (japanese ones to the best of my ability), 47/50 of the visual novels listed here.  The only 3 I have not read are ef which I plan on reading later this year, and the two I REFUSE to read, Kira Kira and School Days.  Why?  All of the characters in School Days disgust me, and all of the characters in Kira Kira disgust me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. Where's Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! ? Even though it's only partially translated, most of the parts are translated so it should be here. You clearly said you will not include NON-translated games but Majikoi is translated partially. I'm a bit disappointed because of that but there are some good VNs in your post.

Hmm. Where's Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! ? Even though it's only partially translated, most of the parts are translated so it should be here. You clearly said you will not include NON-translated games but Majikoi is translated partially. I'm a bit disappointed because of that but there are some good VNs in your post.

Not including partially translated VNs here. While it has an incredibly large amount of fans, majikoi made me go WTF at most scenes which were supposed to be awesome. It's still good enough to enter the list, but not one of my personal favorites. Still, this list is supposed to be more of a guideline to newbies. Since majikoi has most of the extra content and route route untranslated, I'll leave it as-is until the tl is finished.

looking to start my first visual novel. came across the topic after wanting the continuation of the currently on going show white album 2. sadly i found out there is no english translation for it as of now. so looking for a similar type of visual novel. could anyone recommend me one in the romance genre? also i have watched clannad and kannon anime so would like something else. Ty. also wouldnt it be better if your list also had the genres added to them? the discriptions looks helpfull but it isnt clear what type of story it holds.

looking to start my first visual novel. came across the topic after wanting the continuation of the currently on going show white album 2. sadly i found out there is no english translation for it as of now. so looking for a similar type of visual novel. could anyone recommend me one in the romance genre? also i have watched clannad and kannon anime so would like something else. Ty. also wouldnt it be better if your list also had the genres added to them? the discriptions looks helpfull but it isnt clear what type of story it holds.

Hm. What about trying Symphonic Rain? There's a minigame, but you can turn that off, so there should be no problems.

Clearly I've got some work to do, I've only finished 7 of the VN's on that list completely (though I've read 17 VN's not on the list).

I'm surprised Deardrops is on the list, I finished Rimu's route and then moved onto greener pastures. Am I missing something here or did I just pick a horrible route?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this list! When I first started reading VN's this helped me a ton. Just registered today but I've been using it as refarance  for at least a month now :)

It's great that it helped you. The list was made as a guide for those new to VNs, so I'm really glad that it was of use~

• 4 weeks later...

Then help us chose the one we shouldn't play in the list T_T

I wanna live !

But seriously thank for the list :)

I didn't read that much but all i read was there.

Maybe i missed clannad but I didn't see it. I hope I missed it ><

Then help us chose the one we shouldn't play in the list T_T

I wanna live !

But seriously thank for the list :)

I didn't read that much but all i read was there.

Maybe i missed clannad but I didn't see it. I hope I missed it ><

That depends on your tastes. Though someday you'll die anyway, so why not do it while reading VNs? sounds like a nice way to die~

I >could< pick something specific for you if I had more info.

I have yet to play so many of them, and finish others too, but some are in my "won't.read." list because of gore or horror (for example, Saya no Uta and School Days ;A;). Now that i saw this list again, I guess it's time to begin reading some of the ones I haven't played, and that I want to play, like Steins;Gate D:!

I have yet to play so many of them, and finish others too, but some are in my "won't.read." list because of gore or horror (for example, Saya no Uta and School Days ;A;). Now that i saw this list again, I guess it's time to begin reading some of the ones I haven't played, and that I want to play, like Steins;Gate D:!

Steins;Gate? Wait for the JAST release imo.

Steins;Gate? Wait for the JAST release imo.

The fan translation was good enough, I don't think it's really needed to wait. Then again, I don't know exactly which genre you're looking for, Sigheart. Depending on it, I could give a personal recommendation.

@Albedo: Yeah, I was going to play the fan-translated, but then I saw the Jast project and decided to wait xD
@Kugaya (that's what you get for calling me Sigheart! (?)): I'm fine with love stories were rape/NTR/prostitution/unavoidable death/etc aren't involved D; if it's a visual novel without romance, I can hardly get into it (and when there's more than one protagonist, like in Ef or Ever17, it's kinda hard too).

@Albedo: Yeah, I was going to play the fan-translated, but then I saw the Jast project and decided to wait xD

@Kugaya (that's what you get for calling me Sigheart! (?)): I'm fine with love stories were rape/NTR/prostitution/unavoidable death/etc aren't involved D; if it's a visual novel without romance, I can hardly get into it (and when there's more than one protagonist, like in Ef or Ever17, it's kinda hard too).

My main suggestions for you would be Katahane and Sharin no Kuni, seeing your VNDB list.

Katahane may feel a bit too monotomous at the beginning, but it gets nice when they reach a certain point in the story. Sharin is very good.

My main suggestions for you would be Katahane and Sharin no Kuni, seeing your VNDB list.

Katahane may feel a bit too monotomous at the beginning, but it gets nice when they reach a certain point in the story. Sharin is very good.

I'll give it a try, thanks c: Sharin no kuni... I don't remember why I didn't finish it, but I'll play it again anyway >o<

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Wanted to show some apreciation for this list. VNDB doesn't let you know opinions and there is s much information that it drowns you in it. having a little list like this is better for me.

plus you mentioned the greatest moe game ever and being me a great moeblob sucker I have to thank you for letting me discover Hoshizora no Memoria.

Hi. Wanted to show some apreciation for this list. VNDB doesn't let you know opinions and there is s much information that it drowns you in it. having a little list like this is better for me.

plus you mentioned the greatest moe game ever and being me a great moeblob sucker I have to thank you for letting me discover Hoshizora no Memoria.

Thank you~

There aren't many moeges in this list, but I hope you enjoy it anyway.  

I was thinking of making a broader list, including VNs with gameplay and such, too. But that's a story for later~