Shuffle! is coming to Steam!

trickzzter

1 hour ago, VLOCKUP said:

So Overdrive is now on cooldown drive? I haven't heard much of it after Green Green remaster. And GGN but eh, I'm talking about new IP.

Bamboo had been losing interest in the Western market for a while, I gather. And then Overdrive lost a lot of money on Bokuten in Japan (it was expensive to make and it bombed), and he basically decided to take a step back from big expensive projects. Remastering Green Green is supposed to be a much less costly endeavor, and I assume GGN 2016 is not exactly a blockbuster either. That's what I heard, anyway. Take it with a pinch of salt, cause I'm no insider (can't even read Japanese).

I miss livestreams with him though. Those were fun. :wahaha:

1 hour ago, Ariurotl said:

Bamboo had been losing interest in the Western market for a while, I gather. And then Overdrive lost a lot of money on Bokuten in Japan (it was expensive to make and it bombed), and he basically decided to take a step back from big expensive projects. Remastering Green Green is supposed to be a much less costly endeavor, and I assume GGN 2016 is not exactly a blockbuster either. That's what I heard, anyway. Take it with a pinch of salt, cause I'm no insider (can't even read Japanese).

I miss livestreams with him though. Those were fun. :wahaha:

What happened to Nurio's sister who gave him English lessons? :wahaha:

It was fun while it lasted.

5 hours ago, Ariurotl said:

... It did cause the estimable Bamboo to wake up ...

... Bamboo had been losing interest ...

May I know to whom are you referring to? I am trying to follow you here :D I thought at first that you meant Japan as a country but the more I am looking at it, it looks like you are referring to a person? O_O Whose alias is Bamboo?

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

May I know to whom are you referring to? I am trying to follow you here :D I thought at first that you meant Japan as a country but the more I am looking at it, it looks like you are referring to a person? O_O Whose alias is Bamboo?

He's Overdrive higher-up. You can read the interview with him here

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-03-17/hiroshi-bamboo-takeuchi-overdrive-producer/.86031

22 minutes ago, yorikbad said:

He's Overdrive higher-up. You can read the interview with him here

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-03-17/hiroshi-bamboo-takeuchi-overdrive-producer/.86031

Thanks, that explains it! :D I was right, it's a person :) Thank you for the link of the interview ... I even managed to find something interesting here:

Do you see Visual Novels as an emerging genre in Japan, or one that's maturing? Where do you see the genre going next in Japan?

I think the genre is nearing a transition point. In the future I think we're going to be able to play these games on smartphones and tablets.

That's something I was wondering about for some time. Visual novels shouldn't be very demanding in terms of processing power so why aren't we having a market for Android and iOS VNs just yet? xD I have a tablet and I always thought how great would be if I could read all VNs on it, it's definitively something that I would look very forward to.

Edited by Infernoplex
Fixed quotes

On 10/21/2016 at 9:28 AM, Chuee said:

The reason I remain skeptical is because AGM did the translation for Harmonia, which turned out to be fairly mediocre. Shuffle probably wouldn't be ruined, but OreTsuba and Tsuriotsu contain things much more difficult to translate. OreTsuba has flowery passages (like below), and Harmonia's biggest problem was the narration. Tsuriotsu has puns, and jokes based on Japanese speech patterns, which average translators will always screw up on. I wouldn't really welcome a localization group that dishes out translation quality on the level of funimation.

Active Gaming Media also did this, coincidentally.
http://www.activegamingmedia.com/en/portfolio/service/if-my-heart-had-wings-1.html

31 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Active Gaming Media also did this, coincidentally.
http://www.activegamingmedia.com/en/portfolio/service/if-my-heart-had-wings-1.html

So Key and now Navel are embracing the same company that released the mess that was If My Heart Had Wings (in partnership with Pulltop).  This is why Japanese eroge companies make me facepalm.  They seem to blindly dogpile into cliqueish Japanese zaibatsus and ignore better options.

The link says that they did "SNS Administration", which means they handled the social media (to the point where the "platform" is Twitter and Facebook), not the localization. In contrast, if you look at the games they did localize, like Demon's Souls or something, the service is clearly listed as "Localization" (and the platform is listed as the one the game came out on, PS3). So in this case, I'm not certain the annoyance is valid unless there's a separate job listed for the localization in the portfolio. If you wanna look at the games they did localize and speculate, though, be my guest. No idea how good Demon's Soul's localization was, for example.

53 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

so why aren't we having a market for Android and iOS VNs just ye

Because no one really needs any VN on mobile devices when you can play Pokemon Go or Angry Birds. There are literally millions games to choose.

I have a tablet and I always thought how great would be if I could read all VNs on it, it's definitively something that I would look very forward to.

You can do it with VNDS magic or with the streaming app like Splashtop.

Back to the topic. I found out that "5pb" is involved with publishing "Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai - Under the Innocent Sky", so for Navel it would be very hard to bring this title on Steam. So, maybe they don't have much choice and they have picked their hit game. But it doesn't explain why it has to be PS2 version.

54 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

That's something I was wondering about for some time. Visual novels shouldn't be very demanding in terms of processing power so why aren't we having a market for Android and iOS VNs just yet? xD I have a tablet and I always thought how great would be if I could read all VNs on it, it's definitively something that I would look very forward to.

I heard that otomes are big on mobiles. Never played one myself on one, but that's what I've heard at least. And If my Heart had Wings had a mobile release too if I remember right.

Thanks, that explains it! :D I was right, it's a person :) Thank you for the link of the interview ... I even managed to find something interesting here:

Ah, as an aside, otome games are aplenty on the Android/iOS markets. They've really hit their stride there, even moreso than with the PC and the Vita, to the point where full VNs from Otomate (who are one of the largest otome game companies in Japan) are on the Android store right now. There are also a few ones aimed for guys that are on mobile stores (like Fragment's Note).

52 minutes ago, yorikbad said:

Because no one really needs any VN on mobile devices when you can play Pokemon Go or Angry Birds. There are literally millions games to choose.

Same is true for PC platform xD You also have millions of games on PC to choose ... But I agree on the notion that games like Pokemon Go and Angry Birds have wider audiences than VNs would probably ever have on a mobile device.

52 minutes ago, yorikbad said:

You can do it with VNDS magic or with the streaming app like Splashtop.

O_O I will need to check that out, this is the first time I am hearing of it.

51 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

I heard that otomes are big on mobiles. Never played one myself on one, but that's what I've heard at least. And If my Heart had Wings had a mobile release too if I remember right.

I don't know about mobiles but I do know that a good amount of otome VNs have their console releases (PSP mostly if I remember correctly) ... That's interesting to hear, about IMHHW, you are right, it turns out it did have an iOS and Android release. I got interested so I did a filtered search on VNDB for all iOS and Android VNs ... And it turns out I was wrong O_O This list is telling me there are actually a lot of iOS and Android VNs out there and a lot of them also have English language available! Turns out there is a market after all ... Color me surprised O_O ...

47 minutes ago, Lambda said:

Ah, as an aside, otome games are aplenty on the Android/iOS markets. They've really hit their stride there, even moreso than with the PC and the Vita, to the point where full VNs from Otomate (who are one of the largest otome game companies in Japan) are on the Android store right now. There are also a few ones aimed for guys that are on mobile stores (like Fragment's Note).

Yeah, I have just realised that. I have heard of Otomate, they are quite famous.

Okay, that's about it, I will not derail this thread anymore, sorry :) I was just curious about something, my intention wasn't this, I kind of went off topic here ...

Anyway, as for Shuffle!, I don't really care and I am definitively not buying it, as everybody else stated that without Essence+, it's basically what we already had from MG ...

Edited by Infernoplex
fixed a typo

8 hours ago, yorikbad said:

Back to the topic. I found out that "5pb" is involved with publishing "Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai - Under the Innocent Sky", so for Navel it would be very hard to bring this title on Steam. So, maybe they don't have much choice and they have picked their hit game. But it doesn't explain why it has to be PS2 version.

Actually no, 5pb is a publisher of the console version so Navel could have a problem with them only if they decided to port the vita ver. But at the same time Navel do have their own all ages pc ver so the point is moot.