light-hearted comedy visual novel

Dark_blade64

Sengoku Rance...I can't play that game because I hate being timed. Rance is all about properly using your time. I hate that feeling of "Oh, 3 horus ago I decided to xo this instead of that, and now my last three hours are wasted because no matter what I do, it's game over." Happened to me several times, after trying to play it a quite a few times.  Also I dunno if you can say's "light hearted comedy", the game contains like 95% rape scenes.

|||

Majikoi is a good comedy. I agree with that, if all your after is some good comedy, can't go wrong, but if you want a good story as well, look elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

Sengoku Rance...I can't play that game because I hate being timed. Rance is all about properly using your time. I hate that feeling of "Oh, 3 horus ago I decided to xo this instead of that, and now my last three hours are wasted because no matter what I do, it's game over." Happened to me several times, after trying to play it a quite a few times.  Also I dunno if you can say's "light hearted comedy", the game contains like 95% rape scenes.

|||

Majikoi is a good comedy. I agree with that, if all your after is some good comedy, can't go wrong, but if you want a good story as well, look elsewhere.

The only requirement is to be lighthearted and has good comedy, that's all.

Well then yeah, Majikoi.

Also, despite what people say aobut it, Muv Luv Extra can be pretty damn funny at times, though it also has moments where they do drama bits. But so does Majikoi.  I never found Rance to be "funny", but I did enjoy the unique world setting and all that, but it's really only 'funny" if you consider Rance fucking everything that moves, with consent or not, hilarious.  Beyond that, there's no real humor.  I played Edelweiss a long time ago, but I do remember it having alot of funny moments. I can recommend that one for a look as well.

https://vndb.org/v903

The description doesn't paint it as a comedy and more of a generic Eroge, but trust me, it can be quite funny.

I would second both Majikoi and Edelweiss. Both are really funny but Edelweiss has some drama to it which I feel is the weakest part of the VN. The comedy is great though. Don't have any other recommendations personally but am interested to see what everyone else has to say. 

On 7/31/2016 at 10:05 AM, Mkilbride said:

|||

I never once got stuck in Sengoku Rance, but I can see how it's possible if you ignore some parts too long. 

Personally I skip all the h-scenes in most VN including Rance series, so the rape scenes isn't a big deal.  Still those rape scenes are not really serious either, but more comedic with the girl eventually going along with Rance antics.  I mean the music is silly and Rance acts like an idiot throughout it.

I laugh the most from Rance series over any other VN.  There's something really funny about a MC thats really strong, incredibly arrogant, no morals, silly, and super horny.  His bat shit crazy personality makes for some funny ass interactions with everyone else being quite normal in the series.

Majikoi is pretty funny also, especially Yukie and her double personality.  Although the vn does have quite a bit of drama and some scenes really drag on.  I'm also not a fan of how every male character is a weakling compared to the girls.

See...I'm not going to be a fuddy duddy and say Rape isn't a topic that can be funny, but  it doesn't matter to me if the "Girls go along with it", after they're done crying, screaming, and he does it in front of their husbands, family members, or they're raped by some monster ect, for "Comedic effect". Rance certainly is "funny", but...I wouldn't classify it as humor for everyone. Also you skip all the sex scenes? That's all Rance is about. Literally.   There is no plot, each game is Rance with " I wanna fuck every girl in sight" - That's the same plot, every game, it never gets more in depth or has any twists.   I'm just saying if you don't Rape as a humorous topic, Rance can may not be that funny to some people.

1 hour ago, Mkilbride said:

See...I'm not going to be a fuddy duddy and say Rape isn't a topic that can be funny, but  it doesn't matter to me if the "Girls go along with it", after they're done crying, screaming, and he does it in front of their husbands, family members, or they're raped by some monster ect, for "Comedic effect". Rance certainly is "funny", but...I wouldn't classify it as humor for everyone. Also you skip all the sex scenes? That's all Rance is about. Literally.   There is no plot, each game is Rance with " I wanna fuck every girl in sight" - That's the same plot, every game, it never gets more in depth or has any twists.   I'm just saying if you don't Rape as a humorous topic, Rance can may not be that funny to some people.

Yeah I've seen both arguments to that.

The game does have a story and some twist also.  Wouldn't say the story is that depth but since there are 9+ Rance games there are a lot of history to the lore of the world and it's characters.  The game really is about the characters interaction with the most ridiculous MC and how he shapes the world.

By design Rance is just a comedy, but some people might like that type of comedy.  I mean my sister thought it was mean when Rance just killed some random NPC who was explaining the rules of the area that he didn't agree with.  I thought it was funny because you would never expect a MC who suppose to be the hero to do such a thing.

Yeah. That's funny for sure. Show's he's a wildcard.

But when there's like 20-30 girls in the game and Rance's goal is to -rape- them all, and I mean rape, at no point is he going to try to romance or convince them, he straight up desires to take them by force...I'm just saying it's a certain type of humor that "Light hearted comedy" might not cover.

9 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Yeah. That's funny for sure. Show's he's a wildcard.

But when there's like 20-30 girls in the game and Rance's goal is to -rape- them all, and I mean rape, at no point is he going to try to romance or convince them, he straight up desires to take them by force...I'm just saying it's a certain type of humor that "Light hearted comedy" might not cover.

Yeah it makes sense.  Some peoples morals are really strict even if it's fictional.

I skip h-scenes since they really do nothing for me.  I just enjoy the humor of how Rance thinks and gets to that point.  Usually the logic makes no sense but it's funny how he convinces himself he is doing nothing wrong.

On 7/31/2016 at 10:29 PM, shadowolf64 said:

I would second both Majikoi and Edelweiss. Both are really funny but Edelweiss has some drama to it which I feel is the weakest part of the VN. The comedy is great though. Don't have any other recommendations personally but am interested to see what everyone else has to say. 

Edelweiss is mostly comedy, try that.