Hi Guys!

Hi guys!

I found this forum a few days ago from Aaeru's blog (which I don't know how I found). I'm still new to visual novels and such, having only read two, but I like them so far.

Just as some misc info about myself; I currently do 3D Modeling and I'm working on transitioning my 2D art to digital art. I'm currently learning Japanese using Memrise, though I'm still sort of new to it.

Perhaps I'll bother updating page later once I know everybody, but for now I guess that's fine. :P

P.S. Before volunteering, are native English speakers for editing and proof reading and such in way too much of an abundance, or are they frequently needed?

The username is... interesting. Anyway, welcome! We're glad to have you! What VNs did you play?

In a good way or bad way? :D I'll let you know after I finish something more interesting than what I've read currently. :P

Haha love the name!!

Welcome to the forums!! If you have any questions or anything let us know!!

Just curious, which 3d programs do you use??

I'm vaguely familiar with Maya and 3d studio max.

Anyway, welcome

Actually I use 3DS Max for anything I do currently, though I want to learn Zbrush once I'm more familiar with using my tablet.

Why do I feel Like you're my FB friend as well? <Kingdom Knights>

That Pic... Really bugs me since that's the same as my friends...

Anyhow, Welcome to the Fuwan Abyss.

I use Facebook waaay less than I should, so I don't think it's me. I just took the screenshot from that video because I thought it was cute and it actually kind of matched my old one, but I'll change it.

Hello there and welcome.

Regarding native english speakers for editing/proofreading:

Although there is indeed an abundance of these in comparison to translators/hackers, their services are still needed to ensure a project turns out well, and the more there are, the faster the editing can progress.

There is of course the problem of multiple editors resulting in lack of consistency as well as other nasty things, but an abundance is always better than a lack.

Good luck with learning Japanese, the only advice I have is to beware of the huge slump after you learn the basics.

Ah, okay, thanks! I'll go ahead and toss in a form later then in case someone needs me as a last resort or something. I have a little too much free time at the moment anyway, so I guess that's a plus. I primarily asked because the current couple of VNs I read had strange English in some places. It wasn't that bad although there were a couple of lines that confused me entirely. I assume it was just that specific translation though.

There is one more related thing that comes to mind (sorry I didn't ask earlier -- and that I'm turning my intro thread into a question thread :P). I use Photoshop pretty frequently for both 2D and 3D works, so I may be able to put that to use. What exactly does image editing usually entail?

On Japanese, learning new words was enjoyable until it started tossing all kinds of new Hiragana symbols at me. Once I have Hiragana down (and eventually Katakana and Kanji..) the rest should be decent until grammar comes into play and flips all of the English grammar rules I grew up learning around.

Welcome to the forums. I approve of the username.

And yeah, there's not much point in diving too deep into Japanese before you know hiragana like the palm of your hand. That's something beginners should work on initially imo. Good luck with your studies!

P.S. Before volunteering, are native English speakers for editing and proof reading and such in way too much of an abundance, or are they frequently needed?

Yes! they are needed

we're not so affluent that we are almost overflowing in editors, they can be really difficult to find and really necessary for most projects, and i mean particularly dedicated ones. yeah321 could testify to this after having her editors drop out on her one after one repeatedly.

(also, in fan translation anyway, the role of the editor is just to put raw translation back into natural english. all u need is fluent english)

As twisted as it was, it did kind of give me a cool idea for a story that I'd love to actually make use of at some point. I may start recording it at some point so I can add to it and refine it for the fun of it. I'd love to turn it into a manga, visual novel, or game as some point but that'd be a few years from now if I actually do it. Especially since I only just now finished inking and coloring my first digital anime drawing, and it took me ~5 hours to do. That was terrible.

I may, but I'd prefer to do it at a later date. I've actually been using it to experiment on a bit since it was my first paint. I can post the sketch sheet I've been working on for the time being, I'm only nearly half-way done.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25812766/art/faceprocess.jpg

Here's where I'm at so far. It's nothing exciting or anything. The original character isn't by me, so please don't credit me for that. :P A couple of weeks ago I finally got serious about drawing, but I hardly knew how to use my tablet and I was terrible at drawing (unless you wanted a stick figure with noodle arms). For the time being I've just been redrawing those four faces over and over to improve my strokes and familiarize myself with the tablet. I'll make a thread if I improve enough to come up with something more original and cool looking, but this is all I've got for now. I'll keep adding to it until I fill the page. Even if I still have a lot of them to do, at least I'm improving I suppose. I'll update it as I go, but for now I've been sucked into Mirai Nikki.

Actually I'd love to at some point. I still have a long way to go on my art, but I wouldn't mind making my own Visual Novel a few years from now. My imagination has been running surprisingly wild after getting into art, so I have a couple silly but cool ideas I'd love to work on and turn into a story at some point.

Also, I can't figure out whether I like Yuno or whether I'm terrified of her.

I think I've figured her out and I know how I feel now, but I won't go into that (spoilers). I feel funny though. I did some occasional sketches of anime characters starting late last year for fun, but I only started watching anime this summer and I got a little more serious about drawing a few weeks later. My creativity was pretty mediocre last year, but since this summer my imagination has been almost too hyperactive. During and after any anime I watch, my imagination kicks into high gear again and I start coming up with all kinds of random ideas. Now I just need to figure out whether these are fueling awesome stories and ideas I should be writing down, or whether I'm just going a little bit crazy.