Re:zero discussion (and some other non important Summer 2016 anime)

Nosebleed

What's the hype about Re:Zero? I can't really get a grasp of the anime and I don't intend to watch it until it is finished. Does it remind you of some other animes you have watched or is it unique? 

On my part I am only watching Berserk this season. Interested in the story and the CGI anime creation. Some parts are really good but the "usual" high quality we get today is a bit worse in Berserk. Not much I can say about the anime so far. I'm enjoying it. Sadly I have a hard time enjoying anything moe or fun today. Darker themed stories is my thing nowadays. Hopefully it will change later on again.

9 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

What's the hype about Re:Zero? I can't really get a grasp of the anime and I don't intend to watch it until it is finished. Does it remind you of some other animes you have watched or is it unique? 

On my part I am only watching Berserk this season. Interested in the story and the CGI anime creation. Some parts are really good but the "usual" high quality we get today is a bit worse in Berserk. Not much I can say about the anime so far. I'm enjoying it. Sadly I have a hard time enjoying anything moe or fun today. Darker themed stories is my thing nowadays. Hopefully it will change later on again.

It is unique. Also, episode 15 just did a super weird turn. Not a plot twist, or that sort of surprise. Rather, something that we all thought to be background noise has suddenly come into full glory, slapped us on the face hard, peed on us, and then mind-fucked us. It feels as if the anime suddenly became another one, the focus of the arc radically changing, the few episodes we had seen and its core topic suddenly feeling very silly and non-important.

If I had to compare it to smth you might know about, it's like when in One Piece...

We have like 2 full arcs with Luffy going to save Ace and, suddenly, Ace gets fisted and just goes and drops dead, all tension and excitement becoming a slap to the face that feels unreal. The whole point of those arcs has disappeared or, to be precise, been corrupted. There's no going back, and Re:Zero 15 was kinda like that. A huge, unexpected milestone that has left us confused in awe.

It's like when Lost was still in TV, and after smth super important happened, people would be super shocked about it and theorise/discuss it until the next episode came in.

Btw, you might be making a mistake in waiting to watch Re:Zero when it's completed. In 99% of series it doesn't matter at all. But, lately, I feel that the doubts and theories you make in your head are part of the tension and excitement of the series. Waiting for when you can just watch everything might kill that whole aspect.

2 hours ago, SilverLi said:

It is not unique, it's basically second part of steins;gate set in a medieval universe.

Prisma☆Illya - It is alright so far. 

Macross - I don't know why I am still watching. 

Planetarian - I am actually liking this a lot, just 2 individuals set in a single space. No anime bullshit, thus far, to annoy me. I hope it doesn't go south. (It is Key so I don't have faith.)

New Game! - Game development has never been so cute. 

fPNx4bCl.png

Dropped 

Masou Gakuen HxH (I can't do it)

Taboo Tattoo (No)

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

Absolutely nothing new looks incredibly promising this season which looks to be the season of average. Best things are the continuation of rezero and shokugeki.

That's Summer for ya. You will get a gem or two out of it on occasion, but it's normally the weakest season of the year. On the plus side though, it precedes the best season of the year, so at least we'll have that to look forward to.

Unless something gets hyped by week 3, I'm probably gonna go with Amaama this season. It looks awfully cute.

9 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

That's Summer for ya. You will get a gem or two out of it on occasion, but it's normally the weakest season of the year. On the plus side though, it precedes the best season of the year, so at least we'll have that to look forward to.

Unless something gets hyped by week 3, I'm probably gonna go with Amaama this season. It looks awfully cute.

Fall is the best season? Just checked it on Anichart, and it looks exactly like summer, but with even less "meh, could be interesting" anime.

1 minute ago, Jun Inoue said:

That's precisely why I wondered about you calling it the best season already xD

Oh, I was mostly referring general seasonal performance in the past. Some seasons will be better than Fall as far as individual anime go, but Fall always wins in overall quality (in recent years at least).

Jeez, people being incredibly pessimistic when there's plenty of fun shows to enjoy all year round? Color me surprised. There's no "anime started sucking since year XXXX", it's just subjectivity at play. The more anime you watch, the more regularity you start noticing, it's no new phenomena. It's funny how I always manage to find plenty of fun shows every single season, yet I always spot people saying how one season is worse than the previous one :P

This season actually has quite a few surprises, my favorites being Amaama to Inazuma and Amanchu, they're just a treat to watch and relax along with.

ReLIFE was an incredible watch. I binged the whole thing in one day and had tons of fun. Binged the web comic right after and had just as much fun. I feel like this is a show that is appreciated more if you're out of high school.

New Game is a guilty pleasure. Having read the manga, I knew exactly what to expect, and the anime delivered completely. This show has enough moe for every human in the world.

The adaptation of orange is also showing a lot of promise, and I feel like it could be one of the better shows this season depending on how they handle the story.

The one that came out of left field was Handa-kun. I totally expected it to be the same as Barakamon, oh boy how wrong I was. But I enjoy this style as well.

Mob Psycho 100 is perhaps the one that disappointed me the most. Not because I think it's terrible, but the main character really drives me nuts.

I never once said anime was getting worse. :P I brought up 2013 specifically because it was the year I started watching ongoing anime. I really have no idea how seasons in previous years are since I didn't have the chance to watch them and talk to people about them. On the contrary, I think a lot of the newer shows are some of the most fun to watch, and I even have a bunch of them in my top 20. But I've always held the view that some seasons are better than others, and Fall has always been my favorite.

When I go into a season, I'm usually on the lookout for something fresh and exciting. Shows like Re:Zero, Accel World, and Kokoro Connect that leave you craving for next week's episode. Those are the kinds of shows that I love to watch on a weekly basis, and it just so happens that Summer doesn't often deliver on that. I won't deny that there are good anime to come out during that season, but they're just not something I can look forward to and would rather watch the whole thing without having to wait for a week.

I know some of you guys might be asking me about AW, and as it turns out, I lied lol. I started watching airing anime in Winter 2011/2012, not 2013. Sorry about that!

Orange is getting stronger with every episode. Looks like a keeper, though I'm going to need a box of tissues next to me while watching it (and unfortunately not for fapping.) It may have me take back what I said about nothing new being great this season.

Re zero remains solid and fresh. Not knowing what direction it will take next is a pleasure.

Sousei no onmyouji is amusing romcom for an action series.

Amaama remains cute as a button.

Shokugeki is consistent as always.

Relife was enjoyable to watch.

Saiki ki is amusing.

Everything else is decent or lower. Still watching 22 currently screening shows despite what I've said.

This episode of Orange really hit home. The future scenes always impact me more for some reason. Ueda is such a spiteful character, just seeing her makes me angry. I can't wait to see Naho getting more proactive now that she's seen the power of that letter. Strap in for the feels boys.

Something I forgot to point out, is that I really love how Re:Zero is indeed taking a stab at the cardinal sins, but not as literal creatures, but as attitudes found in Subaru, like Lust and Pride. It's also really cool that in the latest episode, Subaru has been punished yet again for acting like a fantasy hero, instead of a person in a world populated by other people, a case of twisted morality which most shows either ignore or actually fall into very easily. Subaru, my boy, maybe it's time to realise that you are dealing with people, not NPC.

I just realized the best thing of this season aren't the shows themselves, but the OP and EDs. I think this is the first time this many A+ artists are doing anime songs in one season. The songs are amazing too.

We have...

• MYTH&ROID on Re Zero OP
  • ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION on Naruto OP
  • nano.Ripe on Shokugeki ED
  • Nagi Yanagi on Berserk ED
  • TK from LTS on 91 Days OP
  • ELISa on 91 Days ED
  • Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets on Alderamin OP
  • Kano on Alderamin ED
  • LiSA on Qualidea Code OP
  • ClariS on Qualidea Code ED
  • GARNiDELiA on Qualidea Code ED
  • Eir Aoi on Arslan Senki OP
  • kalafina on Arslan Senki ED
  • May'n on Taboo Tattoo OP
  • Nana Mizuki on KONOBI OP
  • Konomi Suzuki on Ange Vierge OP
  • FLOW on Zestiria OP
  • fhána on Zestiria ED
  • Lia on Planetarian

To put it in perspective, these people are responsible for OPs and EDs of popular anime such as SAO, Nisekoi, Mahouka, Valvrave, Naruto, Code Geass, Madoka Magica, GATE, Accel World, Fate/Stay night UBW, Fate/Zero, Kill la Kill, Tokyo Ghoul, Overlord, ERASED, Angel Beats, No Game No Life, Owari no Seraph, Oregairu, Clannad After Story....

I'm so going to enjoy this season's average anime more than any other season.

I finally caught up to a lot of anime that I actually intended to watch this season...

91 Days looks AOTS. Just hoped it doesn't became another Gangsta, but definitely looks the best new anime of Summer. The first 2 episodes honestly looks like something out of Godfather.... western looking cinematography and a more realistic looking character emotions that are portrayed in the designs to name a few. Amazing OST and great animation.

Mob Psycho 100 is a bit disappointing but I wonder what'll happen when the meter goes to 100%. Bones however did really good with the animation. OST is okay so far.

Taboo Tattoo looks absolutely generic.... I'm considering dropping this if the next episode doesn't introduce anything good.

Amaama to Inazuma is a surprise. Very odd character combinations but I'm liking it so far. Decent animation and OST.

Alderamin character faces looks ugly IMO. MC isn't likeable honestly and is cliche but the semi WWI setting is interesting. Let's see how it goes for this one. OST is average but the OP definitely has the most hype.

KONOBI.... finally a good moe RomCom. I wonder when the last time I've watched this type of anime that is actually decent.

Qualidea Code is more interesting than I thought. If episode 2 and this part of the OP is true then the anime MC would be all of them which is something not-so-generic in a very generic setting. The interactions and dialogue between characters is probably the best one this season even though everything else are cliche and boring. OST is nice though, animation also checks out.

M8Vz9gH.png

Illy 3rei starts off with less fanservice and more serious stuff, even a great action scene already in the first episode. Really loving it so far.

Ange Vierge looks absolutely generic as Kancolle does but episode 2 ending looks promising. Hopefully something new will happen in episode 3, not too hopeful though considering this is a game adaptation... 

I know I am a bit behind but I started watching Re: Zero and I must say. Damn it was a while ago I was this hooked to something. It is interesting, unpredictable and the characters are enjoyable thoroughly even though I don't know anything yet. I am at episode 10. 

This was an refreshing anime and I am happy I picked it up. Hopefully they don't run out of steam at the end. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:25 AM, SilverLi said:

I know I am a bit behind but I started watching Re: Zero and I must say. Damn it was a while ago I was this hooked to something. It is interesting, unpredictable and the characters are enjoyable thoroughly even though I don't know anything yet. I am at episode 10. 

This was an refreshing anime and I am happy I picked it up. Hopefully they don't run out of steam at the end. 

I am even more behind, but, I also started watching Re:Zero today. Only 6 episodes in but it's a pretty fun series so far, definitely above my expectations. I hope there's more Felt coming soon, she is best girl for me <3

Alright, so I decided to have Orange as my pick of the season this time around. I'm not sure if I'll watch Amaama while it's airing, but I'll consider it when it's finished.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure I'll like this show. The character interactions do feel weirdly awkward to me, but the story is pretty interesting. If I don't have a good first impression of something, my basic instinct is to drop it. But for some reason I think this anime will betray my expectations and I'll end up liking it eventually. And if it doesn't, then I'll consider it a failed experiment and start putting more faith into my instincts. Despite the direction, I do still like the characters.