Stardew Valley is amazing

Mugi

Just now, Fred the Barber said:

Seriously, why are there trees in your greenhouse. That question is so deadpan it doesn't even get a question mark. Did I miss a memo somewhere?

Because trees normally only bear fruit in one season, but they do year-round in the greenhouse. Plus there was nothing else to fill the empty space with.

I'd been planning to put all my kegs there. Debating whether to do that or to follow your strategy... admittedly I do still rather like the idea of using the space distortion field of the greenhouse to contain lots of kegs, so that they don't consume precious farm space, so I'll probably end up going that way.

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'd been planning to put all my kegs there. Debating whether to do that or to follow your strategy... admittedly I do still rather like the idea of using the space distortion field of the greenhouse to contain lots of kegs, so that they don't consume precious farm space, so I'll probably end up going that way.

Greenhousespace is far more precious, there's less of it and it's 4 times better than farmspace. Plus you'd be hard pressed to fit over a hundred kegs in there (unless you want a more reasonable number of them)

Just now, Flutterz said:

Greenhousespace is far more precious, there's less of it and it's 4 times better than farmspace. Plus you'd be hard pressed to fit over a hundred kegs in there (unless you want a more reasonable number of them)

I guess I'm really orienting myself towards the achievements right now, which shouldn't require any further income but which do require more time spent on lots of other things. Fruit trees just don't provide enough income to merit the time spent on them. Convenience of large income is more interesting, so that I can spend the vast majority of my time fishing, mining, whatever. But I guess whether the kegs go in there or outside probably isn't much difference, since you're right in pointing out that I'm not hurting for farm space by a long shot either.

I guess it comes down to the fact that harvesting trees every day (or every 3 days, perhaps?) would probably just annoy me; my current plan is actually to chop down all my fruit trees, sell off all my livestock, and start aligning harvest dates and whatnot as much as possible, just so I can minimize daily farm maintenance.

Just now, Fred the Barber said:

I guess I'm really orienting myself towards the achievements right now, which shouldn't require any further income but which do require more time spent on lots of other things. Fruit trees just don't provide enough income to merit the time spent on them. Convenience of large income is more interesting, so that I can spend the vast majority of my time fishing, mining, whatever. But I guess whether the kegs go in there or outside probably isn't much difference, since you're right in pointing out that I'm not hurting for farm space by a long shot either.

I guess it comes down to the fact that harvesting trees every day (or every 3 days, perhaps?) would probably just annoy me; my current plan is actually to chop down all my fruit trees, sell off all my livestock, and start aligning harvest dates and whatnot as much as possible, just so I can minimize daily farm maintenance.

Most of my farm is pretty much decorative at this point, I'm still waiting on a second rabbit foot and duck feather to ship, and have a few more crops to grow for those achievements, but the fruit and wild trees basically stay unharvested, and the livestock has max level buildings which automatically feed them so I can just ignore them too. I don't even use half of the farmland I have prepared most of the time, I just wanted to make the screenshot look nice, and once I'm done with crop achievements I'll probably be too lazy to use even that. :P

2 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Most of my farm is pretty much decorative at this point, I'm still waiting on a second rabbit foot and duck feather to ship, and have a few more crops to grow for those achievements, but the fruit and wild trees basically stay unharvested, and the livestock has max level buildings which automatically feed them so I can just ignore them too. I don't even use half of the farmland I have prepared most of the time, I just wanted to make the screenshot look nice, and once I'm done with crop achievements I'll probably be too lazy to use even that. :P

I need another rabbit foot, to ship, as well... but fortunately I'm all set on duck feathers already :D

Incidentally, are there white eggs? I could swear there are supposed to be white chickens that lay white eggs as well as brown chickens that lay brown eggs, but for the life of me I only ever get brown chickens when I buy them. There's an obvious gap in my "shipped" tab that I think corresponds to white eggs and white large eggs, and it's really bugging me.

3 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I need another rabbit foot, to ship, as well... but fortunately I'm all set on duck feathers already :D

Incidentally, are there white eggs? I could swear there are supposed to be white chickens that lay white eggs as well as brown chickens that lay brown eggs, but for the life of me I only ever get brown chickens when I buy them. There's an obvious gap in my "shipped" tab that I think corresponds to white eggs and white large eggs, and it's really bugging me.

Did you get them from the same duck? Because I spent so long waiting for a second one that I got 5 hearts with the first one, sold him and bought a new one that's at 3 hearts just in case you can only get one per individual animal (same with the rabbit)

Yeah, you need white chickens, but there's no real way to tell if one will grow to be white or brown. If you have the money just buy a bunch and sell the extras when they grow up in a few days.

All feathers I got were from the same duck. She's been at 5 hearts for a while. I think she's dropped at least 3 feathers for me so far. Perhaps you're just unlucky.

Incidentally, your duck is female, as are all your chickens, cows, and goats. Please do not call any of them "him"; it makes me sad, and it probably makes them sad, too.

I keep buying new chickens, and they keep growing up to be brown. I buy them one at a time, thinking "surely this one", and then no. You're clearly right: I should just buy enough to fill the coop in one go, and then sell the ones that are the wrong color. I know, I know, I sound like a white chicken supremacist, but the game made me this way!

3 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Incidentally, your duck is female, as are all your chickens, cows, and goats. Please do not call any of them "him"; it makes me sad, and it probably makes them sad, too.

Hey now, just because they might have female genitalia doesn't mean they prefer female pronouns. Check your privilege you cisnormative shitlord.

12 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Just bought it...halp?  I'm just farming (hue) to get money and going into the caves repeatedly to get copper.  Any advice that could get me on the fast track to success?

Blueberries are the best possible thing in summer, cranberries in fall, buy all that shit and farm the shit out of it. Make sure to contribute to community center bundles whenever you can, prioritizing the ones that repair minecarts for fast travel and repair the bus to go to another location with the best seeds in the game for Summer Year 2. A stable also helps once you can get hardwood because a horse is so much faster. Don't bother with basic sprinklers but once you can afford to and learn how to make some quality ones. Artisanal goods such as jelly or wine cost a multiplier of the basic fruit/vegetable you put in, so put the most expensive ones per unit you have in there that aren't gold or silver star for maximum profit.

28 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Just bought it...halp?  I'm just farming (hue) to get money and going into the caves repeatedly to get copper.  Any advice that could get me on the fast track to success?

During the..first festival? One of the early ones, buy as many strawberry seeds as you can. They regrow without having to plant again, and sell for a good price.

In general, this game is very forgiving, so don't sweat making highly sub-optimal decisions. As long as you're planting and harvesting frequently, you'll do fine monetarily. You should definitely keep mining whenever you have spare time - getting more and better metals is useful across the board, especially copper and iron for making quality sprinklers.

Ahh, that reminds me: don't ship quartz. This was very unclear to me at first, but you can and should refine quartz in the same furnace where you refine your copper ore. Unlike copper, one quartz -> one refined quartz. I believe you need refined quartz to make quality sprinklers. Now, to be clear, you will certainly eventually have more quartz than you could possibly need, to the point that I just ignore it when I see it in the mines. But you'll be surprised at just how much refined quartz you end up using.

Flutterz's crop choice advice is right on the money, of course, with the caveat that for those recurring plants, they're only the best if you plant them right at the beginning of the season. Otherwise, I think melons (summer) and pumpkins (fall) are a good idea. And you'll probably have an opportunity to plant those one-shot plants further into the season, when you have cash on hand you can put back into seeds (say, 10th of summer or 10th of fall). 

You'll eventually want some livestock both to have some income in winter and also for a bunch of the Community Center bundles. In preparation for that, you should buy a silo from Robin soon, so that when you cut grass with the scythe it will stockpile hay. Buying hay is hella expensive, and you won't be able to harvest any in winter (the grass totally disappears overnight between Fall and Winter o_O); I screwed up timing of things and ended up throwing a lot of money away on feed in winter. Also, unlike all other buildings and house improvements, silos are very cheap.

Grass grows based on other grass around it, so it's a good idea to leave a decent exposed surface area of it on your farm (but far from your crops, buildings, etc., of course) so that it keeps growing back.

Flutterz's advice about artisanal goods is solid too, but you probably won't be able to afford going that direction for a little while, since it takes a fair amount of resources to make even one keg (for instance), and wine takes a long time to ferment. Again, don't sweat it much; I didn't get into the wine-making business until the end of the first winter.

Also, some of the community center rewards are really fantastic. Definitely try to complete the whole room that unlocks mine carts ASAP for faster travel, especially since it's pretty easy. Doing all the ones for the greenhouse is hard, IIRC (I probably didn't make 5 high-quality parsnips in the first Spring, let alone know to save them...), but the reward is monstrously useful; I don't think I got it until year 2 spring, and even then I only got it because I was prioritizing it as soon as I knew I should do so.

YAY! i finally got stardew valley to work on my machine! \ :mare: /

i know it was worth it because i love harvest moon games, as well as grinding (im secretly a masochist :wub:) so i know ill love this. i decided to name my farm "Serenity". im on my first day atm, so not much has happened. planted some seeds and now im wandering around meeting some people.

On 3/18/2016 at 8:27 PM, Flutterz said:

My humble little farm

Hidden Content

incredible flutterz. absolutely incredible.