Looking for a good Otome Game to introduce my Girlfriend to.

Belmakor19

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into VN's and I figured it would probably be easier to start her off on an Otome game that's actually aimed at girls rather than a bishojo game. I know nothing about otome games though other than a certain one involving pigeons. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've heard nothing but good things about Code:Realize and you can romance Dr. Frankenstein! Downside is that it is only available on the vita and chances are you don't have one of those.

Other popular titles for the PC titles include Amnesia, The Second Reproduction, and Dandelion - Neoege Buneun Balam.

The ones I'm helping write aren't ready yet! :michiru:

If she has an Android device there's a ton of otome stuff you can check out - much more than bishojo games, actually. You'll probably want to inspect them to make sure they're good, a lot of them can be trite romance stuff. But most of it's free. (So if she's into romance stuff you're totally clear...)

I'll recommend the two I most enjoyed. Both available for PC.

The Second Reproduction - There's two main romance candidates with a third one that also sort of is and I loved it. Some of it is voiced, some of it isn't.

Amnesia: Memories - I liked both the romance in this one and the story, because it does have a story to it. Noteworthy is the fact that the main protagonist you play as has neither a voice nor inner thoughts for almost the entirety of the game. Expect to make lots of choices.

Honestly, I feel we get a lot of these types of questions on Fuwanovel and in general. The one thing I see people mentioning is that the person in question being exposed to the genre of visual novels has had no experience from it whatsoever. In all honesty, I feel people need to be worked into this kind of genre, and so instead of exposing everyone to Japanese novels (moege, otome, etc.), I feel they should start with games that have visual novel elements in them.

For example, instead of straight out throwing someone into a game that structures itself with a lot of anime art and sexual content, start small. Recommend a game that uses sprites and text (i.e. = a hidden object game), and if they enjoy it, expose them further into the genre.

Don't know, just a thought.

23 hours ago, OriginalRen said:

For example, instead of straight out throwing someone into a game that structures itself with a lot of anime art and sexual content, start small. Recommend a game that uses sprites and text (i.e. = a hidden object game), and if they enjoy it, expose them further into the genre.

or maybe start with manga, then go to anime, then to lns then to vns finally.

1 hour ago, OriginalRen said:

Honestly, I feel we get a lot of these types of questions on Fuwanovel and in general. The one thing I see people mentioning is that the person in question being exposed to the genre of visual novels has had no experience from it whatsoever. In all honesty, I feel people need to be worked into this kind of genre, and so instead of exposing everyone to Japanese novels (moege, otome, etc.), I feel they should start with games that have visual novel elements in them.

Don't know, just a thought.

Speak for yourself Sir Mix-A-Lot, Jr. I totally just said, "Hey, search Android for otome games and you'll get quite a bit to check out."

LAZINESS WINS AGAIN!!!

Hakuouki, available on the PSP, 3DS, and PS3, and is also a well known anime is up near the top of the list. I'm very surprised nobody's mentioned it.

Amnesia, which is available on Steam and is regularly discounted, is also pretty darn good.

1 hour ago, OriginalRen said:

Otomes rarely have explicit sexual content (in comparison to eroge.) So in many instances, otome Visual novels are romantic novels with anime art, and that's not so bad a starting point. Also ... ugh, Hidden Object games. Why?

3 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Hakuouki, available on the PSP, 3DS, and PS3, and is also a well known anime is up near the top of the list. I'm very surprised nobody's mentioned it.

Amnesia, which is available on Steam and is regularly discounted, is also pretty darn good.

Otomes rarely have explicit sexual content (in comparison to eroge.) So in many instances, otome Visual novels are romantic novels with anime art, and that's not so bad a starting point. Also ... ugh, Hidden Object games. Why?

Agreed!

Adventure games, puzzle games, other old genre's with textboxes at the bottom are one thing, but hidden object games...?

Adventure gamers look upon Hidden Object Games as the short, casual, stupid, repetitive, worthless siblings of adventure games which for a time weren’t even clearly marked and therefore required extraction by force. Adventure had to forcibly set Hidden Object apart as its more stupid and totally unrelated cousin.

If you want to introduce someone to VNs, go with adventure. HOGs should burn in the eternal hellfire of some leprous, demonic entity.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I think I'll try introducing her to Amnesia since several people recommended it and it looks to both pretty interesting. I'll probably skip the whole step by step introduction thing though as she's already into anime and manga and she's played Long Live the Queen  which is kind of VN-ish minus a proper plot. 

Most Otome games are terrible... but these are the two good ones I've actually played (as in didn't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth from helpless/ditzy protagonists). 

Untranslated

Sanzen Sekai Yuugi

Asaki Yumemishi

Edit: Oh, and I'll make an exception for Bloody Call.  Even though the girl is a tool, she does have guts hidden under her sheep-like manner.