Visual Novel Survey

Babymagnum12

Hey everyone, i'm currently doing a project in University focusing on Visual Novels and would like to gather the communities thoughts through a small survey, would it be possible for anyone with some time to answer a few questions at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCLRN2L. This would help me greatly and to give something back to the community for taking the survey, I plan on posting the findings at a later date to show what I found and to also help anyone else who wishes to gather similar findings in the future.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Babymagnum12

I think that VNs are closer to books/novels then they are to games with exception of VN-JRPG hybrids, I myself don't label them as games at all.

Also this question : What Visual Novel is your favourite/most likely to recommend?

I wasn't sure how to answer as the two are different for me, my num 1 favorite is Eien no Aselia -The Spirit of Eternity Sword- but as it has some gameplay I am more likely to recommend some of my other favorite VNs.

"What is your age?"

Under 18 or 19-25...

TFW no 1 option.

I meant to put that as 18 and under XD thanks for mentioning this, ill fix it right away!

I think more questions are needed in that survey, regarding: eroge, voice acting, types of vns or things concerning lolis, incest etc

I mean there are so many interesting things to ask  but oh well :P 

I wish I could have put more questions in involving that content, but alas survey monkey only allows free members a total of 10 questions. I may create another one regarding these points if enough people think that I should.

I think that VNs are closer to books/novels then they are to games with exception of VN-JRPG hybrids, I myself don't label them as games at all.

Also this question : What Visual Novel is your favourite/most likely to recommend?

I wasn't sure how to answer as the two are different for me, my num 1 favorite is Eien no Aselia -The Spirit of Eternity Sword- but as it has some gameplay I am more likely to recommend some of my other favorite VNs.

I did think this question might bring up that issue, it was more because I don't have a single favorite myself so anybody stuck at labeling a favorite could put one they would recommend. I will think of a way to reword this.

Thank you all for taking the time and for your feedback :D

I consider VNs to be PC games, a subset of video games.  They're consumed on a gaming platform, use game engines, are sold alongside other games, combine text with graphics and music, and most have some degree of interactivity.  The only other non-gaming media that comes to mind that fits most of these parameters is web browsing (which isn't sold alongside other games unless they're web games).

I consider VNs to be PC games, a subset of video games.  They're consumed on a gaming platform, use game engines, are sold alongside other games, combine text with graphics and music, and most have some degree of interactivity.  The only other non-gaming media that comes to mind that fits most of these parameters is web browsing (which isn't sold alongside other games unless they're web games).

But isn't the important part that games are something you play while VNs are something you read? That is a huge difference there.

But isn't the important part that games are something you play while VNs are something you read? That is a huge difference there.

Define "play".

Define "play".

Isn't that obvois, has a gameplay. You seem to be more focusing on how VNs and games are made rather then how they are supoust to be used/enjoyed, if you look at that then media such as books and novels are far more simmilar to VNs then games and the only simmilarity between VNs and games really is that they are both digital.

But what exactly is gameplay?  What's the minimum requirement to be considered a game by this standard?  What about VNs with gameplay?  What about VNs with minimal gameplay?  What about VNs with highly branching storylines, timed choices, or mini-games?

Well I did say that VN-JRPG hybrids are exception. As for what a gameplay is well it is easier to say what it isn't and reading a bunch of text and making a few choises definitely isn't, infact there are even some actual "make your own story" types of books that have choices, so just because they get visual and sound elements and become digital dosen't transform them into game. Sure because they are digital they are bound to have some simmilaities with games but they are far to different from games to be counted as ones. And in fact the way to tell a difference between VN with gameplay and JRPG with an VN elements can also be used to prove the difference between games and VNs, and that is whatewher that app is ment to be read or played and what is a main focus if it has both. While definition of playing could be debatable it definitely isn't  reading a story.

I think that if there is not some kind of challenge involve then you cannot say that there is actual gameplay thus is not a proper "video game", is clicking on the screen until the novel is over gameplay? I don't think so but choosing the right choices to avoid bad endings? That could be consider as gameplay because there is an actual challenge that you need to surpass.
So maybe inside vns itself you have some that can be consider as video games and others not, like linear or kinectic ones and others with a lot of branching and choices like f/sn.

@Babymagnum12 that's too bad, I think you can create surveys with google which don't have any limitations and they are free to use.