Muv luv alternative gave me ptsd (Spoilers ahead)

zarathos_omni

This is just a random rant from me. Got to the part yesterday where they show alternative world's sumika being raped by BETA. Honestly speaking, the whole thing was traumatic for me. The stuff with marimo-chan really shook me up, mainly when they killed her right after such a tearful reunion. And the beta rape just made things worse. It's not like I haven't seen anything like this before. Sakura suffered in a similar way in heaven's feel after all. But at least they had the decency not to give such vivid descriptions, images and sounds as they did in muv luv. Sumika is honestly my favorite heroine in the trilogy followed by marimo so watching such horrible things happen to them was just plain traumatic. And I have never felt such hatred towards antagonists in any anime, manga or VN. Probably because the beta don't seem like something as simple as evil or have some meaningful greater goal(not that I'd know since I haven't finished the game yet). Extra and Unlimited softened me up too much making it really difficult to handle stuff like these. Don't misunderstand though. I'm not gonna rage quit this game or anything like that. Watching Takeru find his reason for fighting, trying to protect and save the people he loves, accepting sumika regardless of what happened to her and regardless of whether she is human or not, the fights against beta, etc etc. I'm really enjoying all the different elements they incorporated into this VN and so far its definitely one of the best works I've been introduced to. But the tentacle rape scene was just a bit too much. Mainly because of the things the beta did to Sumika and their reasoning behind it. I really don't like tentacle rape in general and these last few scenes made me realize how weak my heart is. Please don't tell I'm the only one who felt traumatized.

P.s. How far am I in the game right now? Currently I'm at the part where the beta are invading japan after takeru and sumika do it.
P.p.s This is just me ranting cuz I don't have anyone to talk to about this.
P.p.p.s Yes I realize this is just fiction and I'm just over exaggerating but I cant really help it. I'm already too deep into this.

First off it'd be good to mark for spoilers, though fortunately I didn't read in-detail on the post too much.

I'm still working slowly through Extra among other things but I've heard Alternative is quite famous for that.  Good luck making it to the end, maybe pick up Tsukihime when you're done for something not quite as what-the-fuck-ish.

you are almost at the end of the novel and please use spoilers!! Nobody wants to see a huge part of the plot spoiled like that :( (same thing with f/sn)

and yeah it is a very shocking vn, that's why is so amazing, the contrast between extra and unlimited against the serious shit that happens in alternative.

the ending of the novel is really bad (in my opinion at least) so be prepare for that 

Lol, post Kara no Shoujo me laughs at the "trauma" of MuvLuv Alternative. The fact that the particular scene mentioned in your op was "too much" means that it served its' purpose to provoke an emotional outrage.

That's the one with the detective and all girls school, right?

I never finished it. To much. I can deal with violence, and stuff like that, but it was non-stop...no breaks.

Really sorry about that guys, I didn't notice I forgot to tag it for spoilers. Mentioned it on the title this time around.

First off it'd be good to mark for spoilers, though fortunately I didn't read in-detail on the post too much.

I'm still working slowly through Extra among other things but I've heard Alternative is quite famous for that.  Good luck making it to the end, maybe pick up Tsukihime when you're done for something not quite as what-the-fuck-ish.

Yea i can see it firsthand why alternative is so famous. Also I think its about I got around to reading tsukihime. I have it installed and everything but never started it so guess I'll get into it next.

Lol, post Kara no Shoujo me laughs at the "trauma" of MuvLuv Alternative. The fact that the particular scene mentioned in your op was "too much" means that it served its' purpose to provoke an emotional outrage.

And here I was thinking of starting kara no shoujo eventually. :vinty:

If its even worse than that 'eventually' is gonna be a long time from now.

Lucky you, I raged a bit on it too but my focus was elsewhere...

I mean it did bother me a bit but not being able to except Meiya's love is what drove me insane. I mean we have choices in Extra and Unlimited and it was just a middle finger for Alternative. That was cruel. Burn in hell Takeru! :P

I did not think it was to much, although in my opinion the scene felt very off from the rest of the vn.

I think they should have handled that scene a little differently.

Well it probably did help i absolutely detested sumika.
I really could not stand her in extra and was glad she was gone in unlimited.

Is it really that traumatic?

I thought that rape scene with Sumika was kinda hot. Most tentacle rape scenes involve the girl eventually enjoying it and not out of pure torture so I wouldnt classify it as rape in the same calibre to what ugly old faceless molesters do where they constantly abuse and beat the crap out of the girl till she mind breaks vs aphrodisiac/drugs/brainwash induced like in Muv Luv.

But then again, I'm a completely different breed from the rest of you guys... :wahaha: 

That's the one with the detective and all girls school, right?

I never finished it. To much. I can deal with violence, and stuff like that, but it was non-stop...no breaks.

Like anything else, Kara no Shoujo isn't for everyone especially if you hate characters getting killed, violence, or just being depressed in general. But you are a fool if you think you've already seen it all after playing Kara no Shoujo. This is elementary/baby level when paired with more f***ed up stuff out there. I know this personally since I'm a NTR fan... Also you won't learn more about visual novels in general by reading the same romance/vanilla crap all the time. Explore other genres out there!

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Hidden Content

Alsolutely not

Hidden Content

Sounds like fetish pandering to me. Easy way to include rape in a vn if the heroine is drugged so that you don't REALLY have a reason to hate/dislike her afterwards, since she couldn't be held accountable for her actions. This is more a generalised comment about these things, and not just this vn in particular. Wish they would rather write a more realistic scenario, with rape and disgust, but they seem to rarely do that.

Hidden Content

Alsolutely not

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Japanese and their fetishes.

I think it affected me so much because Sumika is actually my favorite among the heroines(no hate pls:wafuu:). But yea I'd rather prefer if they didnt give so much detail, just knowing what happened wud have been enough. But thats just my bias since I cant stand stuff like this especially considering the contrast with the first two games. Then again...there's probably as many people who enjoy these and wud be dissapointed otherwise.

Not just Japanese, people and their fetishes in general. 

People don't seem to get the word "visual" in visual novels. If you just summarize or don't go into detail what happens, might as well get a book or a light novel instead. 

We all have our preferances. I for one think that a series with two previous entries that are vanilla should stick with being vanilla. For other stuff, i'm sure there are no shortages elesewhere.

People don't seem to get the word "visual" in visual novels. If you just summarize or don't go into detail what happens, might as well get a book or a light novel instead. 

Don't get me wrong...this is just my bias in this case since I'm not usually bothered by things like these.

At its core alternative is about true love, mechs, fighting against aliens and all that as I'm sure you're already aware. So I find the tentacle rape thing unnecessary, regardless of whether she was drugged and enjoyed it or not. I'd prefer if these would stay in those nukiges or whatever they're called.

And when I say less details, I meant something like what they did in Heaven's feel. Its not like they showed sakura being pleasured by worms with all the moaning and everything included. I just dont like it in this case since Sumika is my favorite heroine and the previous titles were vanilla either ways.

Hidden Content

Alsolutely not

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Alsolutely not

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You don't understand... I'm going full spoiler here:

they were trying to extract the brain from the body, it was a dissection,  not a rape, she is carbon based so for the beta she is only machine, not a living being

You don't understand... I'm going full spoiler here:

Hidden Content

I thought the beta were experimenting on ways to communicate with humans. At least that's what sumika said after she showed the flashback. Then again I haven't finished the VN yet so I'm still not spoiled on why the beta did what they did. Finished the part where the beta tried to invade the yokohama hive just a little while ago actually.

We all have our preferances. I for one think that a series with two previous entries that are vanilla should stick with being vanilla. For other stuff, i'm sure there are no shortages elesewhere.

There's shortage of translated NTR works, so there's my pinch of salt right there. :vinty: 

But anyway, back on topic, It's fine not to like a certain part of a VN but what I am troubled with are people questioning its existence and sometimes asking for its removal like it's taboo. It's the developer's freedom, and they can do whatever they want with it. You are only a player so you are free to skip the scene/stop playing the game if you hate it so much. 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

There's shortage of translated NTR works, so there's my pinch of salt right there. :vinty: 

But anyway, back on topic, It's fine not to like a certain part of a VN but what I am troubled with are people questioning its existence and sometimes asking for its removal like it's taboo. It's the developer's freedom, and they can do whatever they want with it. You are only a player so you are free to skip the scene/stop playing the game if you hate it so much. 

I don't fully disagree with you. But if i were a reader waiting for the next installment, and had my favorite heroine raped in the setting where she loved it, i might have felt a bit betrayed given the nature of the previous games. They are completely free to create whatever they want, if it doesn't suit me, i just won't read it. But that is not a reason for me to not read it though, i just hate utsuge with a passion, which is my reason.

This is not the case of MLA.

What is not the case? If it's the usuge part, then i just know that people talk about how they are still recovering after reading it, and i've heard plenty about it having a pretty damn tragic end. I don't know specifics though. I just don't aim to read something just to end up depressed at the end.