10 VN You Need To Play Before You Die

Nao_KASUKABE

I have this weird tendency to not read some of the most acclaimed of works, so my list is probably skewed.

Off the top of my head:

シンフォニック・レイン Symphonic Rain

遥かに仰ぎ、麗しの Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no

ひこうき雲の向こう側 Hikoukigumo no Mukougawa

素晴らしき日々~不連続存在~ Subarashiki Hibi ~ Furenzoku Sonzai ~

月姫 Tsukihime

Ever 17

キラ☆キラ Kira Kira

スーパーダンガンロンパ2 Danganronpa 2

君が望む永遠 Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

i'll go with translated (or soon to fully be) ones, assuming the majority of the userbase is not able to read japanese

1. Subarashiki Hibi  -The best (soon to be) translated title, gives by itself a wide range of different experiences by being a complete thing at the same time-

2. Cross Channel -Even if the translation is apparently bad, there's still so much content to be found here. The best character study i laid my hands upon-

3. Muv Luv series -Second only to Cross Channel for character development (even though only Takeru is really well developed this time) and mixed with some strong plot and worldbuilding, to be compelling even if you don't value characters much (Alternative)-

4. Sekien No Inganock -Outstanding worldbuilding with scenic portions (apparently the translation ruined this too). Repetion makes this magic -

5. Forest -Arguably the most confusing and weird thing you will read in your life-

6. I/O -Arguably the second most confusing and weird thing you will read in your life, this time with really strong Ghost in the Shell vibes and all around strong worldbuilding-

7. Umineko no Naku Koro Ni series -Quite a good "deconstruction" of the mystery genre, if you want to say so. Prose falls short occasionally, but the amount of content is pretty overwhelming-

8. Rewrite -Terra is the babies' version of Cross Channel. Some parts of the game are compelling and rich in their own right-

9. YU-NO -The epilogue is really what i would call mindblowing and the point & click "minigame" for the first part of the game makes it exciting, to an extent. Not to mention it aged pretty well, considering how old is it-

10. Sharin No Kuni -Just a good story all around with a great plotwist-

Well here is my list -

• Majikoi - I simply love this vn
  • Steins;Gate - Amazing story and execution from beginning to end.
  • Chaos;Head - The convoluted plot mixed with the brilliant 'delusions' make it really unique and great 
  • Cross Channel - Taichi and his development is unforgettable to me 
  • Fate/Stay Night - Shirou's EX-luck, need i say more
  • G-Senjou no Maou - Maou is undoubtedly my favourite antagonist ever, and that ending is just Great,
  • Little Busters - Yeah it has plentiful of plot-holes and inconsistencies but it does what it sets out to do, make the characters and their struggles memorable.
  • Monster Girl Quest - This might simply be here because of the awesome story I got when I had absolutely nil expectations.

Yeah there's only eight as I can read only translated stuff and haven't had too much free time since I started vns.

1. Fate/Stay Night

2. Steins;Gate

3. Clannad

4. planetarian

5. Narcissu

6. Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi Saya no Uta

7. Cave! Cave! Deus Videt

8. Subarashiki Hibi Ever17

9. Higurashi

10. Katawa Shoujo

I like your list Palas, Only 2 changes to be made as far as I'm concerned :)

List in no particular order.

Wow ((´^ω^))

I am so impressed so many people told me 10 lists...I will count every list and show ranking on this weekend...((´^ω^))

George Jetson, another member of FruitsJAM told me the games most of you guys choose are story-driven VNs because 

games which has good japanese text writing are "exported." ((´^ω^))

He told the fact that more than 30 new VN are sold each month, from $18(called low-price game) to $75(call full-price game).

You might find your new favorite when those are transrated...((´^ω^)) 

I will ask friends of kobushi and George to answer his/her 10 VN if possible...((´^ω^))

Guest -Shizuku-

(Sorry more than 10...)

Irotoridori no Sekai + Hikari

Hoshizora no Memoria 

G-senjou

Little Busters

Grisaia

Koiken Otome

(now cause I'm personally Eushully's fan)

Kamidori

Kami no Rhapsody

Madou Koukaku

Soukoku no Arterial

• Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! (must have the best VN ever in the list)
  • Little Busters
  • Edelweiss
  • Grisaia no Kajitsu
  • G-senjou no Maou
  • Sharin no Kuni
  • Koihime Musou (don't really wanna have it here, but I'll do it cuz part of the game is great)
  • Zero Escape
  • Corpse Party
  • Dang, dunno for 10. Otomeido@cafe?

I've only read somewhere in the 20's but I am going to throw in some that seem like they are highly regarded.

• Katawa Shoujo
  • G - Senjou no Maou
  • Steins; Gate
  • Planetarian
  • Swan Song
  • Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete
  • Yume Miru Kusuri
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
  • Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!
In no particular order other than Katawa Shoujo #1.

Wow ((´^ω^))

I am so impressed so many people told me 10 lists...I will count every list and show ranking on this weekend...((´^ω^))

George Jetson, another member of FruitsJAM told me the games most of you guys choose are story-driven VNs because 

games which has good japanese text writing are "exported." ((´^ω^))

He told the fact that more than 30 new VN are sold each month, from $18(called low-price game) to $75(call full-price game).

You might find your new favorite when those are transrated...((´^ω^)) 

I will ask friends of kobushi and George to answer his/her 10 VN if possible...((´^ω^))

To my knowledge, granted it is limited, VN's don't come out nearly that fast in English. As of now I am still at the beginning stages of Japanese. In the future, I will hopefully be able to get the new ones, without having to wait for a translation ^_^ That will take some time though ;__;

To my knowledge, granted it is limited, VN's don't come out nearly that fast in English. As of now I am still at the beginning stages of Japanese. In the future, I will hopefully be able to get the new ones, without having to wait for a translation ^_^ That will take some time though ;__;

You are correct. According to VNDB there is around 10-15 different things released in English every month. Sadly most of them are already completed games in different versions. I don't know how I could've filtered that away. But here is the list anyway.