The importance of readme/manual

GLM4475

Readme/manual/help importance  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a readme/manual/help is important?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How often do you read a readme/manual/help before playing a game?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
  3. 3. While we're at it, how often do you FULLY read license agreement before clicking agree button?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • rarely
    • never

This poll is closed to new votes

The idea behind this thread is simple. It's just that sometimes many people often ask for help for any troubles/problems occurred during playing games/softwares in online forums, which most of the times the solutions/troubleshootings are listed on the readme/manual/help included. Had they read the readme/manual before using the software, they would not have to ask other people. A readme/manual usually mentions these:

• System Requirements
  • Warranty/License agreement (or you can find this during the installation)
  • "Thanks for buying" message
  • Overview of the game/software
  • Basic explanation of the menus/tabs/buttons
  • FAQs
  • Support contact

Strangely, despite the important informations given in a readme/manual, many people seems to ignore it. Surely they can get many advices/helps to their problems online. But I think it's more wise if we read the readme/manual before using the software.

Some softwares maybe doesn't include a readme/manual in its purchase/download package so they have to search online for help though. 

I am reading the "ReadMe" manual if the game is a VN. If it is a standard tripple A game I am never opening that file. A readme file from a developer is not interesting at all. But if it is from someone translating and doing an English patch I am following it to stupidity. And probably punching a wall when it still doesn't work.

I am reading the "ReadMe" manual if the game is a VN. If it is a standard tripple A game I am never opening that file. A readme file from a developer is not interesting at all.

Back in the day, the manuals for games were glorious. I weep for the new generation who never got to experience that awesomeness

2382080-20111218193613.jpg

If a game/product is well designed, in the modern era, a readme is probably redundant. That said, for very complex games, having an easy-access reference is indispensable. Nowadays it's usually in the form of some in-game reference screens or codex rather than an out-of-game file, but it should exist in some form somewhere.

Back in the day, the manuals for games were glorious. I weep for the new generation who never got to experience that awesomeness

2382080-20111218193613.jpg

Jealousy ensues.  I never got a chance to pick that one up.  I have the original BG disk laying somewhere around the house though.  I also have craploads of manuals from console games.  Like, too many to count.

Manuals can be a beautiful thing and you can do some really cool stuff with them.

As for readmes you can fit a lot of useful information in them so I guess I read them depending on the product.

I don't really see much of a reason for people to get rid of them, it's either going to help someone or not do anything at all. Just by giving the option to read it you'll probably help somebody.