VN Reading Club - February (Shikkoku no Sharnoth)

Kaguya

I'm still in Act one, and I have less than 3 days to complete it.

GG Sharnoth.

From what I've read, it's interesting.

Especially Charlie's eyes.

They stare into your soul, man.

Also,

I hope the teacher is not doing something lewd to Charlie.

I don't want my heart to be broken so early in the game.

Once I'm done with exams for the week I shall friggen' read a VN again and this shall be my victim 'cos hey look! Eclipsed's avatar is a british girl named Charlotte, and this VN has a british girl named Charlotte. Compatability success! (sorrz for all the other stuff that's queued/stalled)

@Kosaki, don't worry about deadlines. Marie has constantly been asked questions like "when's deadline to sign up / finish VN" and whatnot and his answer has always been "whenever" aka you can even post back in here a month after the deadline, just know that there probably wont be people around to respond xD

I don't really worry about them, since Kaguya doesn't really set a deadline.

I'm still planning to necro that Forest thread, since I'm still stuck at Chapter 5.

I take it as a challenge for myself to finish it in one month.

Considering that I just started yesterday, I'm not that surprised.

Just finished the first chapter. May take a while, since I constantly have stop to look at gorgeous CGs. Definitely one of the best looking VNs I have seen since Steins;Gate. 

And surely I'm not the only one who gets the urge to make some black tea every time I start playing. Right?

The writing style took some time to get used to, but it's not that bad. It really fits the "horror" segments. And it feels somehow really familiar, but I can't remember from where.

Just finished the first chapter. May take a while, since I constantly have stop to look at gorgeous CGs. Definitely one of the best looking VNs I have seen since Steins;Gate. 

And surely I'm not the only one who gets the urge to make some black tea every time I start playing. Right?

The writing style took some time to get used to, but it's not that bad. It really fits the "horror" segments. And it feels somehow really familiar, but I can't remember from where.

familiar?  "Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People-" ?

Gonna try and finish this in the next two days...really cutting it close but february has been incredibly busy and after Forest my enthusiasm for another Liar-Soft vn had dwindled somewhat. 

I do have a question related to this now though; since the torrents are gone does this mean that the club is now more open to having licensed vns as potential picks for the vn club? 

Did it! Took me 3 days to read it, well technically 2 days, since I had muscle pains the other day and I couldn't read because pressing right-click hurt, lol

I grew really fond of the writing style, and I liked the fact you understood more and more about meanings of the key paragraphs that were repeated. I feel like I should read the first chapters again, now that understand what is going on. It was definitely a interesting experience and the mystery kept me captivated till the end. I would say it's a pretty cute story.

The minigame wasn't bad, but I didn't have the patience to try to get secrets. Though I really liked the music during the minigame.

But man it's pretty. I don't remember any other VNs where I had stop to look at the CGs. Too bad the aspect ratio is what it is, I could have taken so many wallpapers. 

Decent novel once I managed to actually get into it. It definitely took some time though. Wasn't overly fond of the minigame but that was more because it was tedious than anything else. Good music throughout, wonderful art, interesting characters, and overall a pretty interesting story. If it gets licensed I'll probably pick it up. I could definitely see some seiken no ignarock influences in the game, and overall it was pretty enjoyable. I'm probably going to try writing a review for this...but have a few others I'm working on first.

Is there any idea what the next vn will be? 

• 9 months later...

NECRO'D

Once I'm done with exams for the week I shall friggen' read a VN again and this shall be my victim 'cos hey look! Eclipsed's avatar is a british girl named Charlotte, and this VN has a british girl named Charlotte. Compatability success! (sorrz for all the other stuff that's queued/stalled)

Brah apparently your exams lasted 10 months wtf, but I finished Sharnoth for realz this time. Though based on the lacking content of this thread, Sharnoth kinda flopped for this round huh >.>

Pardon the super old quotings

~~

I finished Sharnoth a few weeks ago :3.

Mary best girl, Angie second best :3

When Mary goes "ehh", it always makes my heart <3. She's so ughhh~

Not gonna lie, Mary was the only thing keeping me from dropping this VN. Even though she spends 80% of the VN not knowing squat and blindly putting her faith  & loyalty into some "black man" who could've easily just screwed her over, she's cool, solely cuz of the heterochromia. Oh yeah, and let's not forget them "ehh's" <3

Angie's cool too, was always fun to have her finally show up on screen. That scene where she was driving with Howard and stood up in a fit of rage was just win xD

~~
Regarding the minigame, agreed it was fun for like the first 2 stages, then omfg just look up a goddam map w/ all the locations for the rest ._. 

I really enjoyed the music track that played during it though so that's something. Probably just gonna fetch a 100% save for the bonus minigame CGs, tried to do some just now but lol, nope.

And omg yes, the last Metacreature was BEAUTIFULLY done with the Mary spamming, I got legitimate goosebumps

~~

Ok, so I'm a bit past the second mini-game and here are my thoughts so far.

1. I'm not liking this VN.

2. For starters, the writing. The writing is so repetitive that it seems that every second sentence is just a repeat of the previous sentence (cut out half of the text and it wouldn't effect the story at all). Heck, there are whole paragraphs and entire scenes that are repeated. Because of this I can play this for more than an hour at a time (hence why I'm at my current point and no further).

3. Characters are being introduce but by no means characterized. I'm not going to dedicate any brain power to figuring out these two new characters as I'm still trying to figure out who the last two character were.

4. The story is showing some signs of picking up, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

1. Hi five!

2 & 3. 100% agree, this was my main problem with Sharnoth. The writing, while elegant at first, soon becomes draggy and outright unbearable at times, especially when factoring in the constant repetition. Throw in some mediocre episodes & lackluster underdeveloped filler-feeling characters & you simply not knowing wtf is going on plotwise until late-late game and suddenly reading this VN feels like a REALLY big chore.

4. I had the exact same thoughts mid-game, and ultimately it never really was able to pick up for me to a point where I would be totally hyped to progress the story. I did get a little hyped for Acts 9 & 10, but c'mon, that's the finale. Where was the hype for Acts 2~8!@$%

~~
That being said, I still gave this VN an 8/10, which is my standard rating for "was a pretty enjoyable experience". Very atmospheric- this is my first Steampunk 20th century setting or w/e; the music tracks fit the scenes nicely, the art was distinct and charming (big fan of any and all Mary CGs <3), the writing(when not repeating) was pretty pleasant. Mary herself's actually not all that special, but hey, my first female MC, she's hawt, heterochromia, elegant inner monologues, hawt, can run like a mother, and it would be hilarious to see her play poker.

TL;DR yes Mary carried the VN for me.