VN Reading Club - February (Shikkoku no Sharnoth)

Kaguya

and Angie is Married.

the partner was Howard right?

He have my approve !

Howard very nice guy ,

rich & generous too, (give expensive "Engine phone rare?" to Angie)

when Angie worried about Mary & Charlie (with limited information), Howard always try find out a way to help Angie.

Edited by SoulJustIn

Speaking about the mini-game. I haven't gotten the extra sketches for chapters 1, 3, and the last one. I can't get the last one because the monster moves damn fast and I can't get 1 and 3 because I'm too scared to replay them again. They both look creepy/scary (especially the spider, I'm not good with creepy crawly) that the moment I see them, my head goes "NOPENOPENOPE" and I close the game...

Hope everyones enjoying Sharnoth so far~

Speaking about the mini-game. I haven't gotten the extra sketches for chapters 1, 3, and the last one. I can't get the last one because the monster moves damn fast and I can't get 1 and 3 because I'm too scared to replay them again. They both look creepy/scary (especially the spider, I'm not good with creepy crawly) that the moment I see them, my head goes "NOPENOPENOPE" and I close the game...

if about scare part , i say i quite scare to last one.....

especially when voice keep saying "MaryMaryMaryMaryMaryMaryMaryMary"

and the pic

bd2cbe3684.jpg

and the pic

bd2cbe3684.jpg

I was also scared by that one.

Especially when you collect the "voices" and uncover more of Charlie's past, you see that she did all that only for the sake of Mary.

Oh by the way, in my next posts (when i'll refinish the game again, il's speak more about all the metaphorical "tomorrow bullshit", because it's extremely interesting.

And i'm also scared by the H-scenes (not for the reasons you think, they are just creepy as hell)

and the pic

bd2cbe3684.jpg

I wasn't scared by this cg but the one that comes right after

when her hands are removed and we see the red eye?

scared the living shit out of me.

...I don't know how to feel about the h-scenes. I may sound stupid but

I never heard of Lovecraft (who he was or what he wrote) until my friend told me when we were reading Sharnoth. Needless to say, you can kind of guess my reaction when the tentacles popped out.

Reaction: "O____________________O, so....this is Lovecraft...interesting..."

Unfortunately, I suck at the minigame segments too hard and had to turn them off in order to progress. I wish I didn't have to because I also want to see the pieces of the story told in there, but there's not much I can do about it. Even when I know the locations of all the voices, I still have trouble getting around to them all before getting a game over. ;__;

Ok, so I'm a bit past the second mini-game and here are my thoughts so far.

I'm not liking this VN.

For starters, the writing. The writing is so repetitive that it seems that every second sentence is just a repeat of the previous sentence (cut out half of the text and it wouldn't effect the story at all). Heck, there are whole paragraphs and entire scenes that are repeated. Because of this I can play this for more than an hour at a time (hence why I'm at my current point and no further).

the mystery element is pretty good although at this point it's feeling a little over-saturated in mystery. characters are being introduce but by no means characterized. I'm not going to dedicate any brain power to figuring out these two new characters as I'm still trying to figure out who the last two character were.

In terms of characters I can really only comment on two at this point; Angie and Mary.
Angie is a really good character, She has a clear character and is always fun to have on screen.
Mary on the other hand is more complex. on the one hand I like her because she's one of the most human protagonists i've played as (shows her fear, doesn't know what to do in new situations). On the other hand she's incredibly indecisive which makes me loose sympathy for her. I mean, four days of seeing the professor and not asking him about your comatose friend? come on, really?

The minigames have proven to be a fun way of breaking up the repetitive story......... until any text shows up repeating the same lines as before.

The story is showing some signs of picking up, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

(PS: forgive me if  my thoughts  offense someone or mistake )

A piece of my thoughts.....

you don't have to read it if you don't want to.......... (quite embarrassing somehow)....... bt73p.gif

I like "Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-" vn overall

what should i write 1st...... hmmm, I always choose vn base on "description story plot interest me" or "previously vn released by same producer" or "someone recommend" or "rating of vn" or "by genre" or "currently nothing to read so I read it".

In other words ,i choose to read "Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-"

because "previously vn released by same producer" .(The writer Hikari Sakurai too)

"Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-" vn ,

I would like to say that the vn always give me impression that the vn is novel with min pic (maybe more pic to standard novel)

-The vn have many "narration & self narration" (Frequency and long sentence) example

"Tell Henry Irving!? I almost stagger from the emotion. Angie really was getting dizzy and staggering too. Mary somehow managed too keep her footing and her ladylike expression. They hadn't imagined their words would be conveyed to the man himself, the actor who practically in a different world to them. Mary couldn't help but wish Charlie had been there with us. She would have had something more appropriate to say, and would've answered calmed without worrying about what to say. There was so much for her to improve on. If Angie hadn't been there , she would surely have been too amazed to talk properly. As she thought that-- Something feels strange. Somewhere in my heart... Is it just my imagination? This gentleman's gaze brothers me. For some reason... This named Bram Stoker,he... He won't look at my right eye, even though we just met. Not one glance. Not even a sign of glancing. A cloak that's red on the inside. For some reason, that vivid red also... It bothers me. Just a little..."

.....but the scene just actually encounter Bram Stoker , greeting each other & Bram Stoker leave. Nothing happened.

(begin with Bram Stoker "I'll pass a word to Henry")

-Another part "Repetition" example

you all know about it  "running, running, running" (moment finish mini game against stage boss)

other example

"I endure . I endure. I endure. But, no, no, I can't endure it. The faint noise of something dripping is too much for me to endure. And yet I can't look at it. And yet I didn't turn around, but... I couldn't endure it--"

Because of those two part "narration & self narration" and "Repetition"  keep remind me like novel..... .....(and light novel too?)

..... if person didn't ever try read novel before or don't have patience to read or only want H-secene......

I sure that person 100% press "crtl" or "skip icon" to skip and miss out many thing or worse of all maybe drop halfway read too........eEbay.gif

Next topic.......

Hmmm, what part i like "Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-"

One of part i like ,

"Realistic Reaction" ...... how should i explain...... maybe thanks to "Self narration"

example

What if your important childhood friend in danger/involve to something , will you worry about it ?

what can you do to help childhood friend? How?

When meet someone new , will you ......

Explain in "Self narration" find in vn ....... (i starter of lazy to find where and rewrite everything) yJ8a0.gif

i guess i stop here for today...... (i starter tired of thinking.......)

*during check spelling or error words*

look like I still got many haven't write.....(character,story plot,mini game,ending scene or experience gameplay)  :michiru:

..............................................................................seMIt.gif

I guess not need rush since i write them with my free will ........... (+ mood?)

nothing here

I say nothing here I want Marie-hime-sama praise.

please don't

don't press spoiler!

Keep it a secret please :heart:

(PS: forgive me if  my thoughts  offense someone or mistake )

A piece of my thoughts.....

you don't have to read it if you don't want to.......... (quite embarrassing somehow)....... bt73p.gif

I like "Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-" vn overall

what should i write 1st...... hmmm, I always choose vn base on "description story plot interest me" or "previously vn released by same producer" or "someone recommend" or "rating of vn" or "by genre" or "currently nothing to read so I read it".

In other words ,i choose to read "Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-"

because "previously vn released by same producer" .(The writer Hikari Sakurai too)

"Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-" vn ,

I would like to say that the vn always give me impression that the vn is novel with min pic (maybe more pic to standard novel)

-The vn have many "narration & self narration" (Frequency and long sentence) example

"Tell Henry Irving!? I almost stagger from the emotion. Angie really was getting dizzy and staggering too. Mary somehow managed too keep her footing and her ladylike expression. They hadn't imagined their words would be conveyed to the man himself, the actor who practically in a different world to them. Mary couldn't help but wish Charlie had been there with us. She would have had something more appropriate to say, and would've answered calmed without worrying about what to say. There was so much for her to improve on. If Angie hadn't been there , she would surely have been too amazed to talk properly. As she thought that-- Something feels strange. Somewhere in my heart... Is it just my imagination? This gentleman's gaze brothers me. For some reason... This named Bram Stoker,he... He won't look at my right eye, even though we just met. Not one glance. Not even a sign of glancing. A cloak that's red on the inside. For some reason, that vivid red also... It bothers me. Just a little..."

.....but the scene just actually encounter Bram Stoker , greeting each other & Bram Stoker leave. Nothing happened.

(begin with Bram Stoker "I'll pass a word to Henry")

-Another part "Repetition" example

you all know about it  "running, running, running" (moment finish mini game against stage boss)

other example

"I endure . I endure. I endure. But, no, no, I can't endure it. The faint noise of something dripping is too much for me to endure. And yet I can't look at it. And yet I didn't turn around, but... I couldn't endure it--"

Because of those two part "narration & self narration" and "repetitive word"  keep remind me like novel..... .....(and light novel too?)

..... if person didn't ever try read novel before or don't have patience to read or only want H-secene......

I sure that person 100% press "crtl" or "skip icon" to skip and miss out many thing or worse of all maybe drop halfway read too........eEbay.gif

Next topic.......

Hmmm, what part i like "Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-"

One of part i like ,

"Realistic Reaction" ...... how should i explain...... maybe thanks to "Self narration"

example

What if your important childhood friend in danger/involve to something , will you worry about it ?

what can you do to help childhood friend? How?

When meet someone new , will you ......

Explain in "Self narration" find in vn ....... (i starter of lazy to find where and rewrite everything) yJ8a0.gif

i guess i stop here for today...... (i starter tired of thinking.......)

*during check spelling or error words*

look like I still got many haven't write.....(character,story plot,mini game,ending scene or experience gameplay)  :michiru:

..............................................................................seMIt.gif

I guess not need rush since i write them with my free will ........... (+ mood?)

nothing here

I say nothing here I want Marie-hime-sama praise.

please don't

don't press spoiler!

Keep it a secret please :heart:

Why do you appologize for your own opinion? as long as you say it clearely with no hate, it's normal.

And this thread lacks discussions about the VN.

Ok, so I'm a bit past the second mini-game and here are my thoughts so far.

I'm not liking this VN.

For starters, the writing. The writing is so repetitive that it seems that every second sentence is just a repeat of the previous sentence (cut out half of the text and it wouldn't effect the story at all). Heck, there are whole paragraphs and entire scenes that are repeated. Because of this I can play this for more than an hour at a time (hence why I'm at my current point and no further).

the mystery element is pretty good although at this point it's feeling a little over-saturated in mystery. characters are being introduce but by no means characterized. I'm not going to dedicate any brain power to figuring out these two new characters as I'm still trying to figure out who the last two character were.

In terms of characters I can really only comment on two at this point; Angie and Mary.

Angie is a really good character, She has a clear character and is always fun to have on screen.

Mary on the other hand is more complex. on the one hand I like her because she's one of the most human protagonists i've played as (shows her fear, doesn't know what to do in new situations). On the other hand she's incredibly indecisive which makes me loose sympathy for her. I mean, four days of seeing the professor and not asking him about your comatose friend? come on, really?

The minigames have proven to be a fun way of breaking up the repetitive story......... until any text shows up repeating the same lines as before.

The story is showing some signs of picking up, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I said it before, but the writing isn't for everyone- in a good and bad sense. I, personally, really enjoyed the way this game was written. The repetition is used to evoke the same feelings the phrase did in previous scenes, which is a technique I'm fond of. It's written differently, which is great when you read a bunch of VNs, specially translated ones, where writing style is often lost. 

I also disagree on the minigames- I thought they were meaningless and overall not fun... I'd rather have more narrative. I would give this game a better rating if it didn't have them. 

Because it has only 3 pages, i was expecting at least 180 pages. lol

Yep, you know my opinion about Shikkoku no sharnoth.

If we keep this pace up, it'll get 8~9 pages. That's pretty good, actually. 

I said it before, but the writing isn't for everyone- in a good and bad sense. I, personally, really enjoyed the way this game was written. The repetition is used to evoke the same feelings the phrase did in previous scenes, which is a technique I'm fond of. It's written differently, which is great when you read a bunch of VNs, specially translated ones, where writing style is often lost. 

I also disagree on the minigames- I thought they were meaningless and overall not fun... I'd rather have more narrative. I would give this game a better rating if it didn't have them. 

If we keep this pace up, it'll get 8~9 pages. That's pretty good, actually. 

I agree that the writing isn't all bad and I can understand why some people would enjoy the repetition, I wouldn't mind it normally but in this instance it just feels over-done.

and I think the lack of discussion is simply because people haven't finished it yet or aren't far enough to discuss it properly.