VG Club: LoZ- Ocarina of Time Discussion

solidbatman

I love and hate OoT. A lot of my hatred comes from my fear of skulltulas as a child the love comes from not being a child and playing it...although the skulltulas still freak me out for some reason.

I played this once all the way through when I was borrowing an N64 from a friend and haven't touched it since. I picked it up for free on my 3DS but never really got into it since it seemed kind of bland next to the other games I was playing on my 3DS at the time (Bravely Default, Yokai Watch and Fire Emblem). Now seems like a good time to revisit it. Thanks for the pack Zeno, this is a good chance to play all these Zelda games I never have. Really my main experience with the series is Link to the Past... haven't done more than touch the others now and then.

Edit: Well OoT keeps crashing on Dolphin on my computer and I don't really want to go through the trouble of debugging it so... guess I'll just be playing FEAR this time around. At least I'm 100% sure that'll run on my computer.

(can I play Link to the Past instead?)

Edit again: Actually turns out it was crashing because I had left my GBA emulator running in the background at the same time. Now it's running smooth.

Despite how annoying Navi can be sometimes her 'Watch out!' is actually kind of adorable :3

Just kidding apparently it really legit doesn't work. Man I hate it when this kind of thing happens. Either games should work or they should crash right away. Now even if I try to fix it I'll constantly be worrying 'will it randomly crash for no reason and cost me an hour of playtime?'. Soooo yeah FEAR only it is.

I finally got it working by getting the N64 version and running it on an N64 emulator, though I had to try three different emulators before it worked normally, and even in the one I'm using it takes like a minute whenever I push start to enter the pause screen. Everything else about it works fine though so I'm willing to live with that. I once played through a 40-50 hour RPG at half speed on an emulator because that's the fastest I could play it. I can put up with a little pause screen loading.

The Sony fanboy in me keeps nitpicking at this game in my mind but I'm trying to keep an open mind and enjoy it. It does a lot of things right, so it's not hard to enjoy. However, the inability to skip text is... horrible. I hate talking to people now because it takes so long. They make you read every single letter.

I finally got it working by getting the N64 version and running it on an N64 emulator, though I had to try three different emulators before it worked normally, and even in the one I'm using it takes like a minute whenever I push start to enter the pause screen. Everything else about it works fine though so I'm willing to live with that. I once played through a 40-50 hour RPG at half speed on an emulator because that's the fastest I could play it. I can put up with a little pause screen loading.

The Sony fanboy in me keeps nitpicking at this game in my mind but I'm trying to keep an open mind and enjoy it. It does a lot of things right, so it's not hard to enjoy. However, the inability to skip text is... horrible. I hate talking to people now because it takes so long. They make you read every single letter.

I'll be running some tests today to try and get the best set up for this game. N64 emulation can be tricky, but I've managed to pull it off on an old old Pentium 4 processor 

Theres a door right before you enter the market of hyrule.Theres some vases and boxes that have rupees.Just keep going in and out of the room everytime you clean it.
I believe you can also climb the chains in the drawbridge (instead of entering hyrule market) for some rupees.
You can also roll slam into trees or catch bugs and sell them.