Little Busters discussion

Arvis

So, every time I start a new VN, I always need a place to go to talk about it.  Rather than making multiple threads about specific points, I kinda like to have one discussion thread about the VN.  I searched the forums here for a general Little Busters thread, but couldn't find one.  So here we are.

So far, Little Busters is hilarious.  I've heard that it's extremely long and time consuming, which isn't great for me because I have very little time.  However, I am a few hours into the game now and it feels like I am simply living the day-to-day life of an anime character.  And I do not have a problem with that at all.  This world and the characters are all so fun, I could spend years here.  And considering how many hours some people have taken to complete this game, I think it may be a full year before I finish this.

So far, my only complaint is this: all the heroines seem a little..... shallow.  They all basically waffle between annoying, boring, and weird.  It kinda feels like these are my choices:

- Anime Archetype 1

- Anime Archetype 2

- Anime Archetype 3

- Anime Archetype 4

- Anime Archetype 5

- Rin

Right now, though, the worst offender is Komari Kamikita (also, what's with all the "K" names?).  She's not interesting, not particularly cute, terribly voice-acted, dumb, vacant, and whiny.  But, as far as I can tell, she seems to be promoted by Key as one of the main, best heroines.  I don't get it.  Does she get less annoying later?  Or is she always pretty much like this?

Anyways, I'll keep posting here as I continue to play through this game.  It's been an awesome roller coaster so far, and for now I'm just hanging on and hoping the ride just keeps going.  ^_^

-Arvis

Sigh... It's a matter of taste, really. *shrugs*

Honestly, the term of "originality" gets thrown around so much that it loses its significance nowadays. Just because it's a generic archetype, it doesn't mean that it isn't an entertaining archetype. That said, the entertaining part is subjective to each person's taste and perspective. Personally, Komari is my favorite heroine, so. *shrugs* I thought her innocence and fluffiness were quite adorable. I'm pretty sure Japanese people like this kind of stuff a lot more than Americans too, so it might just be a cultural clash thing for more people around here to not like this kind of thing.

Honestly, the term of "originality" gets thrown around so much that it loses its significance nowadays. Just because it's a generic archetype, it doesn't mean that it isn't an entertaining archetype.

Yeah, you're definitely right.  I think I was a little too negative above, because I think all the characters are fun (even Komari).  Besides Rin, I do like Saigusa and Kud is pretty cute.  Kurugaya is interesting, as well.

Personally, Komari is my favorite heroine, so. *shrugs* I thought her innocence and fluffiness were quite adorable.

Now I feel horrible. :(

I will say that I love love LOVE Komari's "Spiral Of Happiness" philosophy.  Honestly, I really think it might just be her voice that irritates me.  I think if I were just reading her lines myself that I would like her a lot better.  I know I can turn her voice off, but...... eh. I think I'll just try to adjust.

I will say that I love love LOVE Komari's "Spiral Of Happiness" philosophy. 

Yep. That's the main reason I love her. The adorable-ness was a plus, but it's her kind heart that attracts me.

By the way, how is Kudryavka an archetype though? I thought her bullied foreign exchange student character was quite unique... well, at least uncommon. It's not as common as Saigusa's noisy girl archetype for sure.

Well, on most Key games (or Charage more generally), and especially on Little Busters, most heroine / character development takes place during the actual heroine routes. While common route only goal is to make you laugh in order raise your affection for the characters.

Don't worry, the wait is worth though. Also Little Busters is typically the type of VN where the heroine routes come out stronger once you finished reading the whole VN.

So, how will I know once I am done with the common route and am on a specific "heroine track", so to speak?  Will it be obvious?  Right now I am about two days away from the first baseball match.

BTW, baseball practice is one of my favorite parts of this VN.  It's really a ton of fun.

-Arvis

My problem with Little Busters, (and every KEY VN since Clannad) is how f*cking long the VN is. Really, one of the reasons Kanon is still my favorite KEY VN is because it doesn't take forever to read.  

So far, my only complaint is this: all the heroines seem a little..... shallow.  They all basically waffle between annoying, boring, and weird.  It kinda feels like these are my choices:

- Anime Archetype 1

- Anime Archetype 2

- Anime Archetype 3

- Anime Archetype 4

- Anime Archetype 5

- Rin

My problem with Little Busters, (and every KEY VN since Clannad) is how f*cking long the VN is. Really, one of the reasons Kanon is still my favorite KEY VN is because it doesn't take forever to read.  

This is what made me drop Little Busters. This is a KEY work, so I know the characters will have more depth to them than is initially presented. But I have no motivation to sit through a 10-20 hour common route to finally get to the good stuff. 

"Sir! We've picked up the enemy on radar!"

"My god, it's bigger than we could have imagined."

"Your orders, Captain!?"

"It has shown itself again! Engine room! Max out the HATE DRIVES!"

I hate hate hate Little Busters. The common route was incredibly boring, the character routes were average to terrible, and the big selling point, Refrain, is one of the biggest let downs I've seen. 

You're better off just dropping it now. 

I hate hate hate Little Busters. The common route was incredibly boring, the character routes were average to terrible, and the big selling point, Refrain, is one of the biggest let downs I've seen. 

You're better off just dropping it now. 

"Sir! We've picked up a faggot who thinks only his opinions are the best!"

"My God! What a huge dick!"

"What should we do?"

"Just ignore him. Opinions are opinions. People are smart enough to ignore such one-sided comments."

Sorry, I didn't catch this edit before.  Kudryavka's archetype is "spunky short loli girl", but I admit that that description may be doing her a disservice.  I was going to mention before I even saw your question that Kud's periodic Engrish is extremely charming.  I just hate the whole lolicon thing, so she's immediately off my radar.  Sorry.

I get what you are saying, but yeah, you'd be right in saying that passing her off as a loli would be a disservice to her character, though I can't really blame you, considering that you're merely on the common route, where her depth wasn't really explored yet.

In fact, compared to most lolis, she was much more 'straight' and 'stoic' than say, Komari. Many lolis are horny for some reason (excluding Komari); Kud is far from that. And it's not just the sex. Kud is more 'serious' than most lolis with a great sense of humor (Komari in this case); Kud don't do jokes much.

I'm in the middle of replaying LB, but I'm taking my time with it, and just playing bits and pieces here and there. Little Busters is actually one of my all-time favorite VNs. That might be because I love Key's stuff, and LB is a great example of what to expect from them, but it had a pretty big impact on me when I first played it in 2012, and I'm sure it'll happen again when I get to the heroine routes.

And I don't care what anyone says, Komari is best girl.

My problems with LB are the same problems I have with most KEY VNs - too much bloat and filler (too many scenes which have no purpose) and replaying the common route is an absolute chore.

I also have a philosophical problem with requiring the game be replayed 6 times before being able to obtain the ‘true’ ending.