PSA: Puush update contained malware

nohman

I know at least a handful of people in the community use puush for taking screenshots, so I thought it would be good to give you guys a heads up in case you don't already know: 

https://twitter.com/puushme

If your puush was updated to r94, you got infected. They recommend changing any password that are important to you because it seemed to access your locally stored passwords. They don't seem to think it was transmitted anywhere.

By the way, everyone should launch an additional virus scan, if you didn't already.  There was apparently more malware than what puush removed on my computer, and I don't have a habit of downloading obscure files or anything.

According to puush, their "sandboxed investigations show no sign of data (passwords) being transmitted", but yeah, you should change any passwords you have saved on your browsers, just in case.

Ditto. All this password hacking is a little scary, I'm going to regret my lax security measures one day...

If anything, someone on their side was the one who put the malware into the program before they uploaded the update, or someone else has access to their site and uploaded a modified version of their program that contained a virus.

If anything, someone on their side was the one who put the malware into the program before they uploaded the update, or someone else has access to their site and uploaded a modified version of their program that contained a virus.

The latter sounds the most likely to me, since it's a lot less risky for the fucker who put the malware in the update.  I mean, that's what I'd do if I wanted to spread malware as much as possible as safely as possible.  That said, some people do stupid things.  Hope whoever did it gets caught, but I know just how unlikely that is.  *sigh*

Someone decompiling the malware informed puush on twitter that their remover does nothing but remove the dropper for the virus. Apparently the virus drops into the RAM and writes itself a rootkit. So it is likely that any computers that got the fake update are still infected.

Puush says they have completed analysis of the virus and will post more details tomorrow. You know, because a malicious programs hijacking their software is enough reason to make users wait another day for details.

puush: "further investigation shows the malware spawns another process disguised as your web browser- please reboot after updating/running cleaner"

My computer crashed after I tried launching avast!, and after I launched a full scan from the boot menu(?), it said it found an infected file in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\File System\001\t\00\.  The file was called "00000000" and had a virus description of "Win32:Somoto-R [PUP]".  Really, guys, if you haven't already done a full scan, do it now.