Making SAO Actually Good

Kaguya

Having read the books, I basically ignore the anime except for the first book (that is pretty much only the Asuna story in Aincrad) and pretend everything else is extra extended universe material.  I like to live in my ignorant world that proclaims the editors wanted to make Kirito into a harem protag where he was originally clearly meant to be just a normal romance protag in a fanfic.  

The alternative is to ignore the romance and actually think about the real world ramifications of the crazy shit the story does introduce.  Mind kidnapping people, brainwashing, and coordinating murder in virtual reality for terrorism, using viirtual reality as a substitute for reality for painful terminal illnesses? It might be old, but I don't read much sci-fi, so its pretty cool.  

That is how you make SAO interesting: just ignore the characters and pretend they don't have personalities.  Everybody is a background character where the events are the focus!

The last third of the second season had real potential, it suffered from one major flaw..... there was absolutely no reason why the story had to take place in the sao universe and the fact that it did destroyed all possible potential of greatness.

The alternative is to ignore the romance and actually think about the real world ramifications of the crazy shit the story does introduce.  Mind kidnapping people, brainwashing, and coordinating murder in virtual reality for terrorism, using viirtual reality as a substitute for reality for painful terminal illnesses? It might be old, but I don't read much sci-fi, so its pretty cool.  

That is how you make SAO interesting: just ignore the characters and pretend they don't have personalities.  Everybody is a background character where the events are the focus!

Now, if we see SAO 3, people will be jumping back on the SAO wagon because Alicization basically turns Kirito into a sidekick for the story which makes it incredibly interesting. Though it basically falls into the exact same problem.  However, if you're in it for the actual emotion behind the story rather than taking it as mindless action that it's advertised as, I can't help you.  

Abyssal Monkey, on 19 Feb 2015 - 9:40 PM, said:

Hah!  I can almost guarantee that its something limited to me.  When I read a story, I don't perceive them as a character, but rather a collection of previous actions.  Thus, when I see an event happening, I immediately think of how those facts come into play.  This main reason why I generally stay away from adaptions of written media, as when I read I don't imagine characters acting it out, but rather objects performing actions.  All that descriptive characterization is completely ignored as I don't perceive it.

On the other hand, when I see something as an illustrative media, I do the exact opposite and tend to ignore the events taking place in favor of characterization.  This is probably why I didn't find many interesting elements of GitS, as I was more focused on the characters than the events and actions they were taking part in.  Don't get me wrong though, GitS was great, and Motoko was an excellent lead.