Your favorite all ages VN?

crunchytaco

Every single topic of the forum screams "Symphonic Rain"... Guess, I should check it out in the near future.

As for me... Little Busters, Rewrite and Umineko Chiru. Definitely must read. Planetarian, Narcissu and Corpse Party also worth mentioning.

Jouka no Monshou and Phenomeno are good, too, but way too short.

Symphonic Rain is a bit boring in the heroines routes but Al Fine and Phorni are total bliss. The thing that disappointed me was that a very occidental atmosphere is introduced but the stories themselves weren't original enough (I'm talking about the usage of the setting), I was expecting something that stands out as much as the first episode of Umineko.

But it's a great VN  if you're searching for a good all ages, go for it.

What's great about Symphonic Rain? How far do I have to get into it before it picks up?

I tried a little of it so far. The music sounds pretty good but the artwork looks a bit childish too like rewrite. 

The best thing about Symphonic Rain is that every part of the route meshes out well in the end. And like what others said, the Al Fine, and True End is what makes it good. It also gives a feeling that it should have been the only end that happened in the story, unlike other VNs where playing other heroines felt like you betrayed the other.

At the end of the day, Symphonic Rain is still a VN that starts quite slow. Add the slice of life, school, and romance, I don't think it's something for everyone. Nonetheless, I still think it's pretty good overall.

SR kind of drags in the middle, but it gets pretty good in the character routes (though Lise's is a comparatiely weak uguu route, I cant deny it has a raw emotional impact.) Especially Fal's route is very good. In general  every character in SR has some kind of secret and feels more fleshed out than usual, to the point where in the regard it's a masterpiece.

Then ya get to Al Fine, which is p. brilliant for both the characterization and other things. I don't think Phorni's route is all that special though, but perhaps needed for a decent resolution. Al Fine true end headcanon~