What's the point of a chromebook?

crunchytaco

It's mostly for people that only need a computer to surf the web and such similar basic tasks. Think of it like a person getting a Nokia 3310 instead of a Galaxy S5- they just need the barest bones and nothing else.

Exactly this.  It's one of the cheapest laptops you can get, and it's designed to be ridiculously easy to use.  However, I wouldn't recommend that anyone get one unless all they want to do is use the internet and that's it.  They can't read CDs/DVDs and they can't download anything, so you're SOL if you want to do anything besides surf the web.  I'll admit, I feel a strong dislike of netbooks in general, but I have used a Chromebook for a decent amount of time, and your money is better spent on something else, that is unless you just want to use the net without the hassle of making your own computer or paying more money for a better pre-built one.

The price isn't worth it... better to avoid the things between a smartphone and a laptop.  Tablets suck and netbooks are going out of fashion (because they've been mostly replaced by smartphones and tablets).  Most computers use a small SSD for the storage of certain vital software (the necessary software that allows the installation of an OS like Windows is one).  While it is much faster and quieter to use an SSD over an HDD, it is also more expensive and doesn't last as long, lol.

I have two laptops and two desktops... one desktop and one laptop for work (work at home and work on the go) and one each for gaming and everyday stuff.  I demoed a netbook a few years ago on a request from one of the companies I subcontract for... and the thing was pure junk.  I returned it in a week and went back to using my laptop.  The idea isn't bad... if you don't have to work in places without internet access or don't mind your data basically being in someone else's hands at all times.  I purchased a small solar generator and cells just so I would never lose power to my laptop, even on camping trips, lol. 

Also, those things are worthless for serious gaming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My school started a tech program to provide laptops to each student for school purposes.  And they made the wonderful choice of chromebooks to give.  The chromebook comes with great features like no .exe support making most software unusable, very little storage space (not that you would ever need much), and best of all, seconding as a $300 paperweight when the internet fails in a school with outdated servers and a massive amount of students connected at the same time!

My school started a tech program to provide laptops to each student for school purposes.  And they made the wonderful choice of chromebooks to give.  The chromebook comes with great features like no .exe support making most software unusable, very little storage space (not that you would ever need much), and best of all, seconding as a $300 paperweight when the internet fails in a school with outdated servers and a massive amount of students connected at the same time!

Your school too, huh? I would have had to do this starting next year, but I'm graduating, thank god. I have to use them in classes so that they can "phase them in" or something, and there's nothing quite like 15 students raising their hands at once complaining that they can't access an important document.

Your school too, huh? I would have had to do this starting next year, but I'm graduating, thank god. I have to use them in classes so that they can "phase them in" or something, and there's nothing quite like 15 students raising their hands at once complaining that they can't access an important document.

Welcome to my world, in every class.  And then there are the days where nothing whatsoever gets done all day because the internet is dead.

Most tablets are better then a chrome book

Well you have a real Keyboard at a chromebook and they are cheap enough. A few years ago you called these things Netbooks and you mostly had MS Windows on it. I had one of these and the battery was really awesome there. Perfect for a day at the university. You can do basic tasks and it's really portable to take it with you.

I'd rather go with tablets + keyboard.

100% this^ The money you would splash on a useless chromebook you could just invest in a tablet and a keyboard, some tablet keyboards even have a USB drive nowadays. Apps might be a problem though so if he/she is a third party apps person why not just save the money and splash on a Asus, Acer or Toshiba laptop? cheaper than HPs and Dells and still good, i've owned my K50ij Asus for 3 years now and it's still mint

"Whats the point in a chrome book?"

Simply, to make money from Uneducated consumers using older technology sprayed silver and with a bastardised verison of android installed on it. 

you can get a similar functioning machine off of ebay for less than £100. It will be about 11 years old but just as fast and reliable.

"Whats the point in a chrome book?"

Simply, to make money from Uneducated consumers using older technology sprayed silver and with a bastardised verison of android installed on it. 

you can get a similar functioning machine off of ebay for less than £100. It will be about 11 years old but just as fast and reliable.