Interesting facts about your favorite anime [POTENTIAL SPOILERS]

bl3u

I've been digging through interviews, facts, and speculation on some anime lately, and it's pretty cool; the things we might not know. Tell us what your favorite anime is and see if you can dig up some interesting facts about it

Be sure to tell people if spoilers are ahead.

[spoilers for Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, and Monogatari: Second Season]

- Shinobu's actual age is 598

- In Bakemonogatari, Shinobu had a different voice actor, (that was never credited) From the rest of the series (Aya Hirano)

- Senjougahara's zodiac sign is Cancer (birthday: July 7th)

- In the Bakemonogatari guidebook. Nisio Ishin (author of the original light novels) interviewed all the voice actors. Kana Hanazawa (VA for Sengoku Nadeko) was asked what kind of character she would like to voice act. She replied. "It'd be interesting to play an evil character. That was decievingly innocent."

- Araragi Is never physically described in the light novels. Thus, Araragi's character design was a creative decision from Bakemonogatari's character designer, Akio Watanabe.

Itazura na Kiss

-One of the fewer romance stories that follows the entire life of the characters

-The original manga began in 1991 and was never finished

-Tada Kaoru who wrote the manga died in 1999 at age 38 due to a cerebral hemorrhage from hitting her head on a marble counter top

-The series has many live action spin-offs

And if you want to know about the characters, watch the anime

;)

Itazura na Kiss

-One of the fewer romance stories that follows the entire life of the characters

-The original manga began in 1991 and was never finished

-Tada Kaoru who wrote the manga died in 1999 at age 38 due to a cerebral hemorrhage from hitting her head on a marble counter top

-The series has many live action spin-offs

And if you want to know about the characters, watch the anime

;)

I enjoy These type of Animes. I remember when I first got into romance orientated anime. I'd specifically search for anime that had actually character development. It's a shame to see that most anime don't follow this plot path :( :( 

I don't really have a favorite anime. I just really enjoy specific ones. 

Attack on Titan

The reason I enjoyed this was because of the way in which I got Hooked on too it. It was a combination of mystery and Dystopia which kept me on edge for most of it's season. I was not too bothered about how there were fillers either. The reason being was because the show erected so many questions and I feel like the fillers answered a few of them to a certain extent. I haven't met anyone who found the lack transparency infuriating either >_>.  I will certainly be watching the next season. 

You want Spoilers for this ? I suggest you read the manga. The Anime was the Vaguest thing I've ever watched.

N.H.K. ni Yōkoso! (welcome to the nhk!)

this is my all time favorite franchise. iv read the novel, manga and seen the anime sevreal times.  its combination of psychological based drama and dark humor has enthralled me since the first time i saw it. i see a lot of my self in pretty much the entire cast in various ways but in sato more then anyone. 

the story line and characters personalities differ between all three media versions

the novel depicted heavy drug use particularly in the case of sato, hitomi and yamizake 

the manga showed considerably less drug use and focused more on societal pressures placed on the young to fit in and conform to the standards set by the older members of society.

the anime cut almost all mention of drugs out completely and went with a fear based persecution complex as the main culprit behind Hikikomori syndrome instead. drawing parallels between the characters in keeping with this theme of overwhelming fear of adversity.

the paranoia felt and displayed by the characters decreased incrementally from the novel to the manga and then from the manga to the anime. but the concept that anime was being pushed to create more otaku in order to in turn create more Hikikomori was a fun and interesting twist on the concept.

the plot of the franchise looks at sevreal social phenomena of japan besides Hikikomori  even if it does so in small amounts. they include suicide pacts over the internet, lolicons, otaku, mmo addiction and pro-gamers. 

many yandere fans consider misaki to be a classic yandere even though whether she truly loves sato or not is highly questionable. this is usually due to her methods of stalking, spying and manipulating sato every chance she could.

the manga and novel play up the lolita complex angle heavily where as the anime altered this to make the women yamaizake and sato lusted after seem older and more mature.

while its never explicitly explained the reason the nhk wants to make more Hikikomori and neets is hinted at in all three versions at to provide normal productive citizens someone to look down on and pity to make them selves feel more superior and better adjusted to the way the world truly works. 

the broadcast company NHK in real life does provide a support website for helping people crippled with Hikikomori syndrome and provides resources to help in the recovery from it.

in the anime the broadcast company NHK does not exist the thought is that since other broadcast companies aired the show that including the company in the show would classify under Japanese business law as slander and open the production company and broadcasters up to possible legal action.

the franchise was designed with all the characters suffering from some form of mental disorder or condition. misaki suffering from borderline personality disorder, sato high levels of paranoia and possibly schizophrenia considering his mood swings drug use and tendency to hallucinate and confuse reality and fantasy, and yamizake has a persecution complex and very severe lolita complex (in the manga and novel at least) strangely yamizake is the more stable mentally of the main characters and even the side characters to a large degree.

the novel started out as a response to writers block the author needed a submission for a conference but couldn't come up with a single viable idea so he called his friend and fellow novelist yuya sato and asked him to help think of something this lead to them pulling a all night brainstorming session in a family restaurant and the outline for the franchise. 

the cover of the novel was illustrated by the artist yoshitoshi abe who is best known for his work serial experiments lain.

the fourth volume of the manga also had a special release limeted edition that came packaged with a figurine of misaki , i believe this is the only nhk character figure and is pretty hard to come by.

the sixth volume of the manga also had a limited special edition release that came packaged with the bishoujo game sato and yamizaki were making in the series . i have never seen a real copy of this game for sale just knock off boot legs though when at otacon one year a man did claim to have a copy for auction but the details for the auction were never released to anyone i know.

the final volume # 8 included in its limited edition release a diploma of graduation from misakis hikkimori recovery program.

ae sparrow of ign declared the novel was on the level of catcher in the rye and fight club stating that sato had enough holden caulfield and tyler durden in him to make the novel a great read for anyone who likes books about the human condition.

the anime novel and manga were all well recieved by critics in those fields earning acclaims as a quality examination of human psychology and a true anime gem and even "i cant recomend this anime enough, its a delicately human tale" "this is more then anime, this is film, probably the best anime i saw of 2008" by james brusuelas of animation world magazine.

Gonna go some Trivias from one of my fav anime black Lagoon

1.The whole cast in Black lagoon are actually speaking english not Japanese

2.Revy is a Chinese

3.Eda the sister from Church of violence is based on Thana from Ms.45

4.Revy real name is Rebbeca Lee

5.The protag maybe just an ordinary Salarayman but he is fluent in 5 languages( including Japanese,english and Russian)

6.Eda hometown is Langley...and in Langley there is ***

7.Rei Hiroe the creator of Black lagoon were inspired by James Ellroy, John Woo, Quentin Tarantino and Stephen King, as well as hearing about actual piracy cases in the East China Sea in the 1990s.

8.Revy's favourite weapon are her dual Berreta 92 which have been modified and nickanmed Cutlass

9.Mr.chang from the Triad is based on a Character played by Chow yun-fat in his movie(The killer)

10. Benny the genius from the Lagoon company is actually a Jew.

Maybe there r more but only some of these that i could remember rite now.

Another really cool thingy about Monogatari.

- This is fan speculation, but there's some evidence. According to the Bakemonogatari wikipedia:

"The music that plays when Ougi is first shown is called まがいものそのものの女. Translated, this means something along the lines of 'The woman who was the fake/sham itself." Seems to hint at the fact that she's a "fake." the fact that Ougi's gender doesn't stay consistent (In Hanamonogatari she's a boy and when Kanbaru questions her gender she says: "What do you mean? I've always been a boy.") also her strange appearance despite being supposedly human. Ougi also claims to be Oshino Meme's niece. Eventhough Oshino has never mentioned or spoken to her.

The speculation part. Is that Ougi either doesn't exist and is merely a figment of the characters imaginations. Or she herself is an apparition. Albiet a nice one.

and i`m back....now..
Time for another long series that is Meitantei Conan

P.S some of trivias i post are from the web

1.Gin's hair color has changed multiple times throughout the series, from light brown to blonde to silver.

2.Shinichi's address, Block 21, District 2, Beika City, Tokyo, was based off of the famous Sherlock Holmes address 221B Baker Street, London.(Nice)

3.Kaito kid have a phobia of fish(forget the scientific name)

4.Eri and Yukiko had both participated in the "Miss Teitan High School" pagaent but had tied due to Kogoro showing up.. although according to Kogoro, his vote would have lead to Eri winning.

5.Jodie's name is based off of Clarice Starling, an FBI officer and the main character in Silence of the Lambs, who was played by famous actress Jodie Foster

6.Wataru Takagi shares the same name as the character he voices Detective Wataru Takagi

7.Eri Kisaki’s cat was named Goro-chan.And her husband name is Kogoro Mouri, Get it?

8.Kaito Kuroba/Kid is one of my fav thief in Anime with his dazzling white Tux, BUT Kuroba means Black feather pretty ironic huh?.

9. The name that the main character made up after his accident, Conan Edogawa, is derived from Sir Arthur CONAN Doyle as well as EDOGAWA Rampo, both very famous mystery/detective authors.

10.Conan and Shinichi main Phrase is "There is always one truth", Shinichi name means "One Truth"

11.Heiji,Shinichi Kudo, Kaito Kuroba, and Saguru Hakuba, are sometimes referred to as 'The Four Geniuses' or 'The Gosho Boys' by fans

I've been digging through interviews, facts, and speculation on some anime lately, and it's pretty cool; the things we might not know. Tell us what your favorite anime is and see if you can dig up some interesting facts about it

Be sure to tell people if spoilers are ahead.

[spoilers for Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, and Monogatari: Second Season]

- Shinobu's actual age is 598

- In Bakemonogatari, Shinobu had a different voice actor, (that was never credited) From the rest of the series (Aya Hirano)

- Senjougahara's zodiac sign is Cancer (birthday: July 7th)

- In the Bakemonogatari guidebook. Nisio Ishin (author of the original light novels) interviewed all the voice actors. Kana Hanazawa (VA for Sengoku Nadeko) was asked what kind of character she would like to voice act. She replied. "It'd be interesting to play an evil character. That was decievingly innocent."

- Araragi Is never physically described in the light novels. Thus, Araragi's character design was a creative decision from Bakemonogatari's character designer, Akio Watanabe.

Wasn't Shinobu's voice actor only heard in the Drama CD?

I can't remember well.

Another really cool thingy about Monogatari.

- This is fan speculation, but there's some evidence. According to the Bakemonogatari wikipedia:

"The music that plays when Ougi is first shown is called まがいものそのものの女. Translated, this means something along the lines of 'The woman who was the fake/sham itself." Seems to hint at the fact that she's a "fake." the fact that Ougi's gender doesn't stay consistent (In Hanamonogatari she's a boy and when Kanbaru questions her gender she says: "What do you mean? I've always been a boy.") also her strange appearance despite being supposedly human. Ougi also claims to be Oshino Meme's niece. Eventhough Oshino has never mentioned or spoken to her.

The speculation part. Is that Ougi either doesn't exist and is merely a figment of the characters imaginations. Or she herself is an apparition. Albiet a nice one.

Do you mean that the last few volumes of the novel are struggles against Ougi, a figment of their imagination? That would also hint at us that their experiences might not be real, but instead fights between themselves. If that didn't make sense, I was talking about social troubles and internal struggles.

Also, if that were the case, it would make the whole franchise a big allegory of internal struggling. Internal struggle of the characters, and the ways they took up to cope with the struggle inside of them. That would also mean that in Monogatari Second Season, they finally found a way to end their internal struggle. Since I've only watched Nekomonogatari Shiro in Monogatari Second Season, the theory seems probable to me, given Tsubasa's condition before the resolution with the white tiger, or rather, the History Tiger, was it?

If the whole thing was an allegory, then it would mean that everything that had happened is real. Real to the eyes of Koyomi and his friends. Real fights. It would also make sense from our perspective, given that this is what we're seeing. It would be an allegory, but technically, everything in that universe happened as is.

About Ougi being a figment of their imagination... If the series is indeed an allegory, it would still mean that Ougi is a real character, given that he's part of the actual events, and that he's actually a big contributor to the last few arcs of the light novel. I think the idea that he's an apparition would slightly be more correct that him being a figment of their imagination. Since if he's a figment of their imagination, then what possibly could be the reason why he'd be appearing all of a sudden in all their eyes? Would that mean they've become crazy? 

I also thought that if it was a figment of their imagination, then others shouldn't be affected...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I need to review for my periodicals.

I don't know. And that's the best part.

Wasn't Shinobu's voice actor only heard in the Drama CD?

I can't remember well.

Do you mean that the last few volumes of the novel are struggles against Ougi, a figment of their imagination? That would also hint at us that their experiences might not be real, but instead fights between themselves. If that didn't make sense, I was talking about social troubles and internal struggles.

Also, if that were the case, it would make the whole franchise a big allegory of internal struggling. Internal struggle of the characters, and the ways they took up to cope with the struggle inside of them. That would also mean that in Monogatari Second Season, they finally found a way to end their internal struggle. Since I've only watched Nekomonogatari Shiro in Monogatari Second Season, the theory seems probable to me, given Tsubasa's condition before the resolution with the white tiger, or rather, the History Tiger, was it?

If the whole thing was an allegory, then it would mean that everything that had happened is real. Real to the eyes of Koyomi and his friends. Real fights. It would also make sense from our perspective, given that this is what we're seeing. It would be an allegory, but technically, everything in that universe happened as is.

About Ougi being a figment of their imagination... If the series is indeed an allegory, it would still mean that Ougi is a real character, given that he's part of the actual events, and that he's actually a big contributor to the last few arcs of the light novel. I think the idea that he's an apparition would slightly be more correct that him being a figment of their imagination. Since if he's a figment of their imagination, then what possibly could be the reason why he'd be appearing all of a sudden in all their eyes? Would that mean they've become crazy?

I also thought that if it was a figment of their imagination, then others shouldn't be affected...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I need to review for my periodicals.

I don't know. And that's the best part.

Yeah I love the ambiguity sorrounding Bake, like how the orgin of apparitions is never explained, or how its never explained why throughout the entire series there's absolutely nobody around town, walking on the street, or anywhere really, the only people that ever show up besides the characters themselves are people who are used to move the plot forward. (Nadeko's teacher and her fellow students in the Nadeko Medusa arc, or Senjougahara's father in Bake's final arc.)

It's definetly worth a deeper look. And really interesting theory Kosaki.

Fate/Stay Night

- Remains a bit true whether or not you're talking about the VN or the animes but the reason Shirou gets away with and does so many extraordinary things in the series is because he literally has a Luck stat of A++. Also, during his tenure as Heroic Spirit Emiya he uses up all of his luck and grows increasingly jaded and unfortunate, hence why Archer's luck stat is E rank and he's lived a difficult life. This is also why in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night Lancer always meets some kind of unfortunate end or ends up in troublesome situations, they have a low luck stat.

- Remains a bit true whether or not you're talking about the VN or the animes but the reason Shirou gets away with and does so many extraordinary things in the series is because he literally has a Luck stat of A++. Also, during his tenure as Heroic Spirit Emiya he uses up all of his luck and grows increasingly jaded and unfortunate, hence why Archer's luck stat is E rank and he's lived a difficult life. This is also why in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night

Lancer always meets some kind of unfortunate end or ends up in troublesome situations, they have a low luck stat.

Let's see...Off the top of my head.

Attack on Titan

- The reason the titans are all so grotesque looking is because the series creator,Hajime Isayama based their appearances and tendencies on people who bullied him as a young man. 

Dragon Ball Z

- The series was originally supposed to end with the Cell Arc but due to popular demand the series got another arc and finished shortly thereafter.

- Series creator Akira Toriyama's favorite DBZ Movie is Bardock: The Father of Goku (I gotta agree with him too).

- The reason why popular Dragonball character Launch didn't appear throughout DBZ is because Akira Toriyama literally forgot about her.

Fate/Stay Night

- Remains a bit true whether or not you're talking about the VN or the animes but the reason Shirou gets away with and does so many extraordinary things in the series is because he literally has a Luck stat of A++. Also, during his tenure as Heroic Spirit Emiya he uses up all of his luck and grows increasingly jaded and unfortunate, hence why Archer's luck stat is E rank and he's lived a difficult life. This is also why in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night Lancer always meets some kind of unfortunate end or ends up in troublesome situations, they have a low luck stat.

I read it somewhere a year or two ago and it made sense to me so I never questioned it. Sadly I cannot seem to find it or remember specifically where I read it. Though it wouldn't surprise me if it found its way in Fate/Extra or Fate/Unlimited Codes somewhere. Can't seem to find anything to support it though so take it however you will. It explains a lot of the shenanigans in the Fate franchise.

But if it's faulty allow me to provide another Fate tidbit to makeup for it.

- In the main series the only actual Heroic Spirit that can be summoned as an Assassin is Hassan-i-Sabbah. This is because the qualification to be an Assassin class is to be a perfect assassin which would also mean being completely anonymous. Therefore only the head of an assassin organization who inherits the name Hassan would actually be recognized enough to be a Heroic Spirit while still remaining a true Assassin. There are other servants who apparently meet the qualification but Hassan is the only one who's been properly summoned. Though each Hassan may be a different person. There are exceptions to this idea done in the various Fate spinoffs though.

I don't think it's a Hassan in Fate/Apocrypha. Or is it?

I haven't looked into it yet. Black Rider is too attractive to not pay attention to.

Also, I was wondering about that, seeing that Kirei's servant in the Holy Grail War was another Hassan. That got me confused, but I was sure it was hella possible. Thanks for the information.

By being anonymous, you do mean the inheriting of Hassan as a name, right?

It gives them anonymity, seeing that all the leaders are named Hassan.

In Apocrypha it's someone different. They give Assassins more leeway in the spinoff stuff. But yeah, to be an Assassin you have to be 100% unknown but you also have to have a legend in order to be a Heroic Spirit and qualify. Inheriting the Hassan name gives them a title to become a Heroic Spirit, but their true identity remains unknown.

In Apocrypha it's someone different. They give Assassins more leeway in the spinoff stuff. But yeah, to be an Assassin you have to be 100% unknown but you also have to have a legend in order to be a Heroic Spirit and qualify. Inheriting the Hassan name gives them a title to become a Heroic Spirit, but their true identity remains unknown.

• 2 weeks later...

The Record of Lodoss War OVA, released in the early nineties, was one of the last anime to be completely hand-drawn (there are arguments about which can be said to be the absolute last).  By 1995, computer input was present in virtually all anime.